Quad setup issues - Mixes missing some instruments...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juboxman

I am very new to the quadraphonic world. I have a Sansui QRX-7500 A and an Akai CR-80D-SS 8 track unit. I have recently bought several quad 8 tracks. I have noticed that on Paul Mccartneys's Band On The Run, there are some Saxaphone and background vocals which do not come through. On Moody Blues Days Of Futures Passed , the oboe on Tuesday Afternoon is missing. All of my connections are correct, and all meters seem to be functioning as they should . Is this the way these were mixed, or do I need to look further ? Thanks for any advice ! Barry

Barry:

What is the condition of the magnetic tape? The high end is the first to go when the tape wears. If the previous owner of the tape deck did not regularly clean and demagnetize the heads, tape guides, etc that can cause the recorded information to degrade with the highs being the first to go. Also, check the tape decks head alignment.

Justin

ps: Welcome aboard.

Thanks ! The taped were un-opened--i replaced the foil and pads. SQ mode sounds great--Also have IMAGINE, which to me has no quad properties. Ike and Tina Live at Carnage Hall sounds Awesome ! I don't get any cross-talk on any tapes. Barry

Thanks ! The taped were un-opened--i replaced the foil and pads. SQ mode sounds great--Also have IMAGINE, which to me has no quad properties. Ike and Tina Live at Carnage Hall sounds Awesome ! I don't get any cross-talk on any tapes. Barry

SQ MODE! You are not playing tapes thru SQ i hope. SQ is a matrix, tapes are discreet!

I play the tapes through Q8 mode--that's when I miss some of the instruments. When I switch to SQ, They're all there, but not discrete .

I play the tapes through Q8 mode--that's when I miss some of the instruments. When I switch to SQ, They're all there, but not discrete .

That doesn't make much sense unless you've either NOT got a proper Q8 player or you've got some connections wrong. But you mention you've got an Akai 80SS, and that's obvisously Quad. Is it in 4 channel mode or is it stuck in 2 channel mode?

It should be the other way around: All instruments present in Discrete mode, missing instruments in SQ/QS/Stereo.

Imagine is a very subtle mix. Its taken me several listenings to appreciate it.

The logical assumption, based on your post, is that one of the channels in the Q8 mode is malfunctioning. I say that only because you can hear everything in SQ, because if it were an issue with the Q8 deck, you'd be missing information regardless of the SQ/QS/discrete playback. Which means the amp needs service.

ED:)

Thanks for all the replies--all helpful ! In my ignorance, I may have hooked it up wrong--gonna try again in the next day or so ! Thanks again for the support ! Barry

Back