Quadrophenia The Movie on BD with New 5.1 mix supervised by The Who

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Criterion will release a BD of the Whommovie Quadrophenia, with restored film and a new 5.1 mix.

The Blu-ray features a new high-definition digital restoration of the uncut version of the film, an*all-new 5.1 surround mix, supervised by The Who (presented in DTS-HD Master Audio), and the original 2.0 stereo track.

Other features of the Blu-ray are:

• New audio commentary featuring director Franc Roddam, and director of photography Brian Tufano
•*New interview with Bill Curbishley, the film’s co-producer and The Who’s co-manager
•*New interview with The Who’s sound engineer, Bob Pridden, discussing the new mix, featuring a restoration demonstration
•*On-set and archival footage
•*Behind-the-scenes photographs
•*Trailers
•*A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick James, a reprinted personal history by original mod Irish Jack, and Pete Townshend’s liner notes from the album
http://www.criterion.com/films/27775-quadrophenia

Criterion used to be a guarantee of quality, they've been knocked by some on other forums for some recent releases, but I still trust that they'll put out a quality product. I couldn't find much info on the previous BD release from 2011, but it looks like the Criterion release will include a new mix, restoration, and supplements. I wouldn't expect anything less from Criterion.

can you imagine if Criterion were to release 5.1 surround music?!? Lavished with the same care and level of intense restoration as their dvds and blu rays?

can you imagine if Criterion were to release 5.1 surround music?!? Lavished with the same care and level of intense restoration as their dvds and blu rays?

Fred:

That would be truly awesome. I own a number of their dvd's and have always been impressed by the quality product Criterion produces.

Justin

Fred:

That would be truly awesome. I own a number of their dvd's and have always been impressed by the quality product Criterion produces.

Justin

I used to snap up tons of Criterion's Laserdiscs back in the day just for the gorgeous transfers (all relative they look rather ordinary now, of course!) sometimes of movies I'd never seen or had no real interest in.

Whoops.. a bit loser-ish i know.. but... I'd probably do the same all over again now with Blu-ray, as their new releases receive consistent praise for their PQ etc..

Sadly however all Criterion releases are region A locked and finding a reliable quality player that i can justify splashing out another load of money on, that will do multi-region BD/DVD, do 3D and spin my SACDs & DVDAs here in the UK, is just too much for me right now.

If only Denon's DBP-1611 was easy to hack or mod for multi-region.. you can pick one up here for under £200 now they're discontinued. I just put one in a system for a lady and it's a nice little bit of kit. Ah well..

Back