QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad Home Audio Forum:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

madship

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
This is exactly like me, are you me? :mad:@:

Own the LP and CD, 1st DVD-A curious about 5.1 surround ! Took the plunge never looked back.
My thoughts exactly when reading that first reply.

Oops, after skimming the thread, I realized I made basically this same comment in 2008. Damn being over 50 and having CRP (Can't Remember Poop).

I have the 2002 DVD-A. My first DVD-A bought it on a lark, since I loved the album and wanted to find out what surround music was all about after setting up my first home theater. Thank whoever insisted on requiring a Dolby Digital version for those stuck with standard DVD players, otherwise I might never have discovered surround music.

Last edited:

mediumwave13

I've created the seemingly ideal lossless version, by ripping both discs and splicing the "true" 5.1 mix of GSTQ to the end of the DVD-A mix. Whilst this true BD mix of GSTQ is limited, it still sounds better than the up-mix version. I had to level correct it by -3dB to match the DVD-A, but it slots in perfectly.

I left Prophet's Song as-is, as I don't believe they ever found the discrete elements for the "now I know" section. To my ears it remains an up-mix on the BD. I also fixed the out-of-sync LFE channel.

Last edited:

marcb

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I've created the seemingly ideal lossless version, by ripping both discs and splicing the "true" 5.1 mix of GSTQ to the end of the DVD-A mix. Whilst this true BD mix of GSTQ is limited, it still sounds better than the up-mix version. I had to level correct it by -3dB to match the DVD-A, but it slots in perfectly.

I left Prophet's Song as-is, as I don't believe they ever found the discrete elements for the "now I know" section. To my ears it remains an up-mix on the BD. I also fixed the out-of-sync LFE channel.
Yep, I did the same awhile back.