HiRez Poll Queen - NIGHT AT THE OPERA [DVD-A/BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Queen - A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

• Total voters

GaryW

Ed Bishop said:
Although it doesn't match the stereo mix the way it probably should, "'39" I love a lot, gotta say....

ED
Tends to be my favorite cut as well. Gives me goosebumps.

Foxman

One of my earlier purchases, still love the disk. I played it a couple weeks ago and like it better with every listen. I have only played the DTS and DVD-A tracks so I couldnt say about the other tracks, but I really like have all the options.

I gave it an 8 but could have been a 9 easily.

analogdemon

This album has my two favorite Queen songs of all time: "I'm In Love With My Car" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". Both songs on this DVD-A were a revelation. The rest of the disc I wasn't all to familiar with before this, but I love the whole disc anyway. A 9.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I actually hesitated buying this 2 years ago...

Sometimes you go with your feelings.

It is a rare prize.

I wore out my LP.

jarofclay73

There is something that always bothered me about the sound of the disc. Maybe it's this "hotness" that everyone talks about.

Sonically, I like "The Game" better, but then again it's a totally different sound.

I gotta really listen to this again to give it a fair score.

Felix E. Martinez

300 Club - QQ All-Star
The Game DVD-A - an excellent disc - is more dynamically compressed than both the first issue and final DVD-A of ANATO. On The Game, they also printed back to analog before going to DVD-A. They're also different albums, about 5 years apart, so it's really an apples to oranges thang...

Jens

Since a while (much later than the original DVD-Audio) there's a CD+DVD package out (at least in Europe) called the '30th Anniversary Collectors Edition'. Supposedly the DVD contains a 24-bit 5.1 DTS mix, besides some video footage.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a DVD-Audio/Video hybrid or just a DVD-Video disc? Are the audio contents the same as (or a superset of) those of the DVD-Audio?

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since a while (much later than the original DVD-Audio) there's a CD+DVD package out (at least in Europe) called the '30th Anniversary Collectors Edition'. Supposedly the DVD contains a 24-bit 5.1 DTS mix, besides some video footage.

Can anyone confirm whether this is a DVD-Audio/Video hybrid or just a DVD-Video disc? Are the audio contents the same as (or a superset of) those of the DVD-Audio?

It is a DVD-V.

Chris

bugdaddy

400 Club - QQ All-Star

'god save the queen' has a different mix, and there are videos of variable quality accompanying the songs. for those who can no longer find the dvd-a, this is a pretty decent substitute.

Jens

for those who can no longer find the dvd-a, this is a pretty decent substitute.

Thanks for the feedback. This sort of comparison was just what I was looking for.

I can find the DVD-Audio on ebay but only with sellers who will ship to North America exclusively so I've decided to settle for the CD+DVD(V) package for now. Perhaps I'll pick up the other one some day if I find a decent bargain.

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
There is something that always bothered me about the sound of the disc. Maybe it's this "hotness" that everyone talks about.

The hotness is due to how Roy Thomas Baker recorded. He liked stuff to be "in the red". A perfect example is the snare drum on Journey's Wheel In The Sky. It's distorted beyond belief.

I think it's a better mix. I love the sound of the 30th much more than the dts DVD-A. It's a great overall package.

It's the exact same mix except for God Save The Queen. You may be noticing a difference due to the lower resolution masking the "hotness".

ssully

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
This disc has it all.

Full 24/96 5.1 MLP, 24/96 stereo, DTS & DD versions plus the video of BoRhap.
Not only is the production stunning, but it is actually authored correctly to spec.
Which makes a change.

An absolute must have, and well deserving of the ultimate accolade:-
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Yep - a 5 banana disc.

The stereo tracks are LPCM...and several older players of mine had trouble navigating through this disc (I'm talking about the DVD-A/DTS/DD disc and not the '30th Anniversary' CD/DTS-only mch release).

I've never quite sorted out the tale of this disc... from what I read, it was released (accidently?) first in a not-quite-finished form circa 2001 by Scheiner and Baker, then Brian May directed a Scheiner remix, released circa 2002, then in 2005/6 we saw what was touted in ICE as a new DTS-only remix (in contraidtion to what dave64 keeps telling us), with May firmly in control . (I believe I have version #2, if so, as I seem to recall liner notes mentioning Brian May's involvement)

Did I get that right? In any case I've ordered the 30th Ann DTS and will get to compare it to the DVD-A, to hear what's what. I highly doubt the 'lower resolution' of DTS 24/96 would mask any 'hotness'.

etzeppy

Are there 3 surround versions of ANOTO? I was reading over on SHF (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=201801) where someone is claiming that there is a 2001 copyright version and 2002 copyright version that do not have the same mix. The OP claims that Brian May remixed at least part of it because he was not satisfied with the original 2001 release although the liner notes are unchanged. I figured someone here would know if this is true or not.

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This was covered here years ago but I don't remember the answers although you should be able to find the old threads where it was discussed. I think the answer to your question will be clear if you find the right threads.

Chris