Remaining Elton John 5.1 SACD Mixes, Will They Be Released?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this not a kick in the pants or what. On 3.20.2013 four SHM-CDs of Elton John music were released in Japan: Captain Fantastic, Blue Moves, Rock of the Westies, and Caribou. Most notable was that the Captain Fantastic CD had the same three bonus tracks that were on the long ago issued SACDs. Rock of the Westies in the SHM-CDs has one bonus track (Don't Go Breaking My Heart), and Caribou has four bonus tracks (Pinball Wizard, Sick City, Cold Highway, and Step into Christmas). I wonder if these were the Greg Penny remasters that never made it to SACD? Sad, so sad indeed.

It's a sad, sad situation. And it's getting more and more absurd.

Ha, I see what you did there... ;)

And yes, I agree it's awful. Especially seeing as how there will probably be a 40th anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of GBYR, while these other 5.1 mixes still rot on the shelf...

Another option:
Campaign for mostly audio (with the Album Cover as the video)
Blu-rays using 5.1 Dolby TrueHD instead of SACDs.

The Blu-rays could contain multiple albums and could also
contain 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks for legacy compatibility.

Kirk Bayne

Another option:
Campaign for mostly audio (with the Album Cover as the video)
Blu-rays using 5.1 Dolby TrueHD instead of SACDs.

The Blu-rays could contain multiple albums and could also
contain 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtracks for legacy compatibility.

Kirk Bayne

I think either Blu-Ray Audio or DVD-Audio discs would be a more viable option than SACDs. The only way an SACD could actually materialize is if a company like Acoustic Sounds did it.

Is this not a kick in the pants or what. On 3.20.2013 four SHM-CDs of Elton John music were released in Japan: Captain Fantastic, Blue Moves, Rock of the Westies, and Caribou. Most notable was that the Captain Fantastic CD had the same three bonus tracks that were on the long ago issued SACDs. Rock of the Westies in the SHM-CDs has one bonus track (Don't Go Breaking My Heart), and Caribou has four bonus tracks (Pinball Wizard, Sick City, Cold Highway, and Step into Christmas). I wonder if these were the Greg Penny remasters that never made it to SACD? Sad, so sad indeed.

these 2013 SHM's are simply reissues of SHM's that already came out a few years ago.

these SHM's have the 1995-1998 Gus Dudgeon remastered "Rocket" masterings of the 70's stuff he produced (and two or three other albums Gus didn't originally produce including "A Single Man" and "Too Low For Zero") and the later 80's albums are mostly Tony Cousins/Metropolis masterings.

as such, they are pretty much a waste of time and money.

the only reasons worth considering them are:
1.) if you must have SHM (waste of time in itself, imho!),
2.) if you must have everything Elton's ever done in every shape or form (bar his excreta, of course!),
3.) if you don't have the redbook remastered CDs with the bonus tracks already,
4.) if you're a packaging fiend and want LP-replica packaging.

Of the 'Rocket Remasters', "Blue Moves" is well worth owning, as Gus' '96 2-CD remaster is the only complete digital disc version of the whole double set and the remastering is not bad at all.. and the expanded "Here & There" 2-CD set is also essential.

Apart from those two exceptions, the original Nimbus/DJM's or MCA CDs of Elton's 70's stuff absolutely blow the pants off those SHM's, sound quality-wise, I guarantee you..!!*

(* and trust me, I have every mastering of every album in every format he's ever done! ever! Just NOT THOSE LAST REMAINING FOUR BLOODY 5.1 SACDs..!!!! AAARRGGHHHH..!!!!) :mad:

I think either Blu-Ray Audio or DVD-Audio discs would be a more viable option than SACDs. The only way an SACD could actually materialize is if a company like Acoustic Sounds did it.

DVDA's please! :D

and if not, then BDA's! :p

...still, if UMG can't get their asses in gear, I'll take DTS DVDV's of these damned things now! :mad:

You know, I'm SO DONE waiting around for them! I have absolutely everything else by him.. and surround-wise I'm getting close to the bottom of that barrel I've been scraping the last few years for things I'm even remotely interested in.

I mean now I'm buying SACDs of albums of percussion music by French dudes..! How's that for scraping the barrel..!? I'm all for expanding musical tastes and there have been loads of great things I'd never have listened to if it weren't for my surround/SACD/Hi-Rez mania of the last few years.. but if you'd told me 10+ years ago when I first started getting 5.1/DVDA/SACDs that I'd be so desperate for surround music I'd be getting really really obscure stuff, I'd have laughed in your face!!

I want Westies, Moves, Don't Shoot Me and Caribou in 5.1 ....and I want them NOW..!!!!!! Grrr!! :(

Ha, I see what you did there... ;)

And yes, I agree it's awful. Especially seeing as how there will probably be a 40th anniversary Super Deluxe Edition of GBYR, while these other 5.1 mixes still rot on the shelf...

there will definitely be a 40th anniversary Super Deluxe GYBR this year and Elton will be touring to promote both the anniversary of the GYBR album and his new album "The Diving Board" (another T-Bone Burnett produced set with BT lyrics) released in September.

DVDA's please! :D

and if not, then BDA's! :p

...still, if UMG can't get their asses in gear, I'll take DTS DVDV's of these damned things now! :mad:

You know, I'm SO DONE waiting around for them! I have absolutely everything else by him.. and surround-wise I'm getting close to the bottom of that barrel I've been scraping the last few years for things I'm even remotely interested in.

I mean now I'm buying SACDs of albums of percussion music by French dudes..! How's that for scraping the barrel..!? I'm all for expanding musical tastes and there have been loads of great things I'd never have listened to if it weren't for my surround/SACD/Hi-Rez mania of the last few years.. but if you'd told me 10+ years ago when I first started getting 5.1/DVDA/SACDs that I'd be so desperate for surround music I'd be getting really really obscure stuff, I'd have laughed in your face!!

I want Westies, Moves, Don't Shoot Me and Caribou in 5.1 ....and I want them NOW..!!!!!! Grrr!! :(

I feel your pain!

I find it a bit hard to believe that none of these last 4 unreleased Elton's (maybe more like 6, even 7, if "Live in Australia", "One Night Only - Live at Madison Square Garden" and "Here and There" were indeed also mixed into 5.1 and prepared for SACD, as I've read elsewhere over the years) have escaped from the vaults, especially after all these years..

.. and if not into the hands of surround nuts like us, then either industry people, or voracious Elton fans might have unearthed them.

All I can say is UMG must have kept them very tightly under wraps! :(

as a follow on, there was a fellow who posted on SH Forums some years ago, who worked for Sony during the "SACD Years" (pre and rollout phases).. who has test pressings of all sorts of amazing SACD stuff, including the Elton "One Night Only" SACD in 5.1.. who says that there never were test/promo SACDs for Westies/Caribou/DSM/Blue Moves and they also said that those 4 Elton's at least never even made it to the PCM-to-DSD transfer stage, ready for SACD.

which maybe goes some way to explaining why these 4 EJ 70's studio album 5.1 mixes in particular have remained unheard, I dunno..!?

It must be an up mix, but I am not certain.

I have several DTS CDs of albums like Blue Moves, Westies etc. in 5.1.. somewhere.

Pretty certain they're all upmixes.. but its been a long time since I burned them.. they probably wouldn't even play any longer if I could find them but I'll have a look for them tonight and see what's what.

Looks like a new Yellow Brick Road 40th Anniversary is coming sometime after October...

http://www.eltonjohn.com/news/news_details.aspx?postid=2018412b-ab13-4bd1-8f8e-6f2ccd23c4aa&yr=2013

what do ya reckon it comes with the old 5.1 mix, in Dolby & DTS DVD-V..!? ;)

Obviously not very exciting news, especially as we all know about the 4 unreleased 5.1 mixes just sitting there waiting to be released.
I bet if the 5.1 mix is included it will only be DVD-V. The push for Blu-Ray/DVD-A basically seems to be artist driven so I'm not sure if Elton cares to go the full-length for high-res... :(

Obviously not very exciting news, especially as we all know about the 4 unreleased 5.1 mixes just sitting there waiting to be released.
I bet if the 5.1 mix is included it will only be DVD-V. The push for Blu-Ray/DVD-A basically seems to be artist driven so I'm not sure if Elton cares to go the full-length for high-res... :(

to be fair, its not really any news at all, RT, except to confirm that Universal are doing a 40th anniversary release for GYBR, which is what I'd heard on the grapevine a while back.. still it's good to know I'm not totally out of the loop and the tidbits I do get now aren't wide of the mark :eek:

I'm not being stuck up but I doubt very much there'll be anything "new" in it.. especially as eltonjohn.com are asking fans if they have anything exciting to add to it.. and not being big-headed but I've got more of his stuff than just about anyone I know and believe me I've met & chatted to hundreds of hardcore Elton fans over the years.. and there's surprisingly not a ton of bootleg stuff of the GYBR period.. so unless he's been sitting on great stuff the last 40 years, I wouldn't hold my breath!

can't say for 5.1 sadly but Elton's classic materials generally been touted as quality recordings so my feelings are that we'll see some blu-ray audio's of his stuff in time.. I'm fearing stereo only but if they're flat transfers of the stereo masters, then that'll be some consolation.

meantime, I get the feeling a close eye is being kept on the whole blu ray thing by every division of Universal.. and once we see some UK releases in September (no disrespect but there's a lot of "French-centric" stuff among the 1st 36 titles, to be fair it is a French trial..) I reckon there'll be more diversity and some surround on the format.. maybe even some surround Elton! although that might take Universal in the U.S to sort out!

to be fair, its not really any news at all, RT, except to confirm that Universal are doing a 40th anniversary release for GYBR, which is what I'd heard on the grapevine a while back.. still it's good to know I'm not totally out of the loop and the tidbits I do get now aren't wide of the mark :eek:

I'm not being stuck up but I doubt very much there'll be anything "new" in it.. especially as eltonjohn.com are asking fans if they have anything exciting to add to it.. and not being big-headed but I've got more of his stuff than just about anyone I know and believe me I've met & chatted to hundreds of hardcore Elton fans over the years.. and there's surprisingly not a ton of bootleg stuff of the GYBR period.. so unless he's been sitting on great stuff the last 40 years, I wouldn't hold my breath!

can't say for 5.1 sadly but Elton's classic materials generally been touted as quality recordings so my feelings are that we'll see some blu-ray audio's of his stuff in time.. I'm fearing stereo only but if they're flat transfers of the stereo masters, then that'll be some consolation.

meantime, I get the feeling a close eye is being kept on the whole blu ray thing by every division of Universal.. and once we see some UK releases in September (no disrespect but there's a lot of "French-centric" stuff among the 1st 36 titles, to be fair it is a French trial..) I reckon there'll be more diversity and some surround on the format.. maybe even some surround Elton! although that might take Universal in the U.S to sort out!

I hope you're right about eventual BDA releases for EJ's 5.1 catalogue. We've been waiting too long for the last 4 (as you of course well know)

Back