• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbre4

Super Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I‘d guess Captain was the first one so mixed, and Stampede clearly last, which likely explains a lot.
Captain and Me was done first (on original 1973 WEA quad list having been a recent hit); Vices was pretty much date & date with stereo album release in 1974 as was done with Stampede in 1975. WEA played catalog catch up during 1974 and got Toulouse Street released sometime between Vices & Stampede.

So glad to have some big release news!

PodCat

Since 2002/2003
How do you figure? The DVD-A of The Captain & Me was mixed from high-res transfers of the original 16-track multis, one generation above the quad masters.
I think it would be more correct to say one less analog generation. Same number of gens in each case.

In some cases this does make a difference, especially when comparing to a not-so-great stereo master. Our recent experiences with quad masters used by Audio Fidelity and Dutton V indicate most are of excellent quality.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just want to make a small comment as I read a lot of others.
I love the DVD-A of Captain and Me and I consider it a reference disc for when friends come over.
I love all of The Doobies albums equally the same, I get off on the early Tom Johnston just as well as Michael McDonald, being a San Franciscan it is hard to ignore any version of The Doobies.
Have seen them a million times including just recently at Shoreline opening for Santana and before that at ATT Stadium with Tower Of Power and Journey.
Winterland, San Jose, you name it.
I did see them in the 80's at the Calaveras Fairgrounds, Jumping Frog or something like that where Tom Johnston and Michael McDonald played together in the band. Huey Lewis closed the show. That was the last concert I saw Bill Graham. If you have been to enough Bill Graham concerts you could bet you would always walk right next to him, he was a mad man going everywhere from concessions, to bathrooms, to backstage, to outside, one of the greatest we all still miss him.
Anyway, for this Ol'Boy I already know this will be another reference release.

MCDave

400 Club - QQ All-Star
But we're getting 4 QUAD BD~As ..... probably not for a whole lot of money if the Chicago Quadio boxset was any indication. Whether they sound better than Warner's early 00 DVD~As ........ we'll soon find out.
Absolutely! We should all buy this, regardless. I'm certainly going to, even though I have the 5.1 as well as the MoFi stereo SACD. I'm just saying that knifeman might want to go ahead and get the DVD-A of Captain in addition, at least while it's still available. That is, of course, if he likes the album enough. I like it more than any other Doobies album, so it's a no-brainer for me to own all available surround and hi-rez releases of it.

EricKalet

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
"Black Water" should be sent out or given away as the "promotional single" from this set!!!

It really is pure surround demo material. There must be a way to have folks check that one out.
I like "Clear as the Driven Snow" the best on CaM. It really shines in 5.1 and is definitely demo material.

Status
Not open for further replies.