Robert Ferbrache's two older mixes - Uphollow and Ian Cooke (5.1 dts)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know.. this gets me thinking (and a bit mad).. how come the "little guys" on bandcamp can make a 5.1 mix fly with a limited run of 1,000 copies.. and yet Universal can't even "do a Rhino Handmade" let alone what these guys like Ian Cooke and so on are doing and make limited runs of 5.1 music thru their online store work out..?!?

I've said it on here before.. there's a hot bed of thousands of members here (and loads of lurkers) many of us are literally starving of hunger at the lack of "new" surround music mixes (we know there's plenty of 5.1 that's all mixed and ready to go and old Quad mixes ditto).. how do we help make this happen guys?

^^^ What Fred Said ^^^ ;)

you know.. this gets me thinking (and a bit mad).. how come the "little guys" on bandcamp can make a 5.1 mix fly with a limited run of 1,000 copies.. and yet Universal can't even "do a Rhino Handmade" let alone what these guys like Ian Cooke and so on are doing and make limited runs of 5.1 music thru their online store work out..?!?

I've said it on here before.. there's a hot bed of thousands of members here (and loads of lurkers) many of us are literally starving of hunger at the lack of "new" surround music mixes (we know there's plenty of 5.1 that's all mixed and ready to go and old Quad mixes ditto).. how do we help make this happen guys?

Well I just got the Uphollow and name checked QQ. I wouldn't have found it otherwise! Missed the Ian Cooke, but as above they can do limited runs of 5.1 discs, as can bArtMan, but the guys running the businesses with the large salaries and expense accounts can't as its not cost effective, perhaps they're paid too much! :mad:

I somehow missed this thread myself. Too bad I missed the Ian Cooke. I liked the sample. Nice cello sound. Damn.

uh oh! I've been QQ'ed again! Thanks so much for all of your interest and orders.
Serious problem: The count on bandcamp wasn't updated and we actually only had 1 copy of The Fall I Fell. I'm really sorry and I'm not sure of the best and most professional way to proceed. The first purchaser will get the last physical DVD and I can make DVDRs for the other 4 discs ordered. OR - if you'd prefer, I can refund your money. I will email you directly via [email protected]. I'm sorry and apologize for not keeping better track of physical inventory, and not updating the bandcamp count. However, I WANT YOUR OPINIONS:

I am debating making other 5.1 mixes - of the Ian Cooke Fortitude album, and also debating updating the The Fall I Fell dvd before repressing 500 or 1000 dvds. I'd like to improve it, and make the "story" section longer and more detailed.

Serious question: how do you feel about dvd-Rs? I can make small runs and ship them out.

The Uphollow DVD is still in stock and I will ship the orders of that. We have around 100 copies and will likely not repress physically.

I understand the frustration with the lack of surround releases. I have a bunch of surround releases and really pushed to make the 5.1 Uphollow disc in 2004, and the Ian Cooke disc in 2007 - both with Bob Ferbrache. By the time we made Ian Cooke's Fortitude in 2011, we didn't have the time or money to do a 5.1 mix, and didn't do one - even though it really would've fit the progressive-rock feel of Fortitude. It wasn't until later that I found out about QQ, and this great group. I recently produced another Ian Cooke DVD for his animated video Cassowary & Fruit Bat, which includes many music videos, and many many live videos. Unfortunately, none of it is in 5.1. I regret it, and wish I had done one myself.

I just got off the phone with Bob. I asked him about his available 5.1 mixes: (band, album, then the label where it is likely available)
NON - Mute
Lilium, short stories - Smooch
Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots - Alternative Tentacles http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=861&sd=Zs42sMcUcYshu@YB2rQ
16 Horsepower, Secret South - Alternative Tentacles
Ian Cooke, The Fall I Fell - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/
Uphollow, Jackets For The Trip - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/

In my opinion the Munly album is the best Bob 5.1 mix.

I somehow missed this thread myself. Too bad I missed the Ian Cooke. I liked the sample. Nice cello sound. Damn.

The sound of a Cello does add something, something soulful, its why I really like the Cello on Nosound's LightDark.

I just listened to some tracks from "Munly & The Lee Lewis Harlots" on YouTube, and bought it! The best description I can think of at the moment is its a bit like some of the acoustic Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds tracks with harmony vocals!

Received my copies of the Uphollow and Ian Cooke (signed) discs. I was one of the unfortunate ones who ordered the last of the Ian Cooke discs before they realised they didn't have anymore. However, I was promptly contacted, offered a number of options and I decided on them sending me a DVD-R copy of the surround disc. Glad I did because these are good albums! :)

Received my copies of the Uphollow and Ian Cooke (signed) discs. I was one of the unfortunate ones who ordered the last of the Ian Cooke discs before they realised they didn't have anymore. However, I was promptly contacted, offered a number of options and I decided on them sending me a DVD-R copy of the surround disc. Glad I did because these are good albums! :)

They'd sold out before they got to me also... :(
One of the options I was offered was "a dvd R of unreleased 5.1 mixes: Tarentella or 16 Horespower: Folklore".... :yikes ​So there's more out there that hasn't been released.

I was away when they sent the e-mail with options, so I'm getting a DVD-R of the Ian Cooke. I've asked if they are willing to ship a DVD-R of the unreleased tracks... no reply yet...

I'm a tiny teeny weeny bit put out as I was seemingly the first order according to this thread so by rights should have got the last one.. but it turns out I'm getting a burnt DVDR too. ah well.. nobody died, we all mess up, they were decent about it, offered a refund (which I can't be arsed with) that's life, etc., blah! :p :D

They'd sold out before they got to me also... :(
One of the options I was offered was "a dvd R of unreleased 5.1 mixes: Tarentella or 16 Horespower: Folklore".... :yikes ​So there's more out there that hasn't been released.

I was away when they sent the e-mail with options, so I'm getting a DVD-R of the Ian Cooke. I've asked if they are willing to ship a DVD-R of the unreleased tracks... no reply yet...

actually come to think of if (I'd forgotten exactly what I'd said :eek: been such a mad few days! :mad:@:) I asked for the Tarantella unreleased 5.1 instead of the Ian Cooke album as I'd rather sit tight and see if The Fall I Fell does get a proper silver-pressed disc re-release as has been suggested. Plus I'm really only up for burnt Recordable discs of stuff you can't get on pressed discs at all ever so I may still find The Fall I Fell somewhere out there someday :)

I just listened to some tracks from "Munly & The Lee Lewis Harlots" on YouTube, and bought it! The best description I can think of at the moment is its a bit like some of the acoustic Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds tracks with harmony vocals!

not got round to playing the Munly 5.1 mix yet but I liked everything about the "Lilium - Short Stories" DVD-A.. however, the "Non - Children of the Black Sun" (or whatever it's called) went over my head completely, just not my kind of thing at all. ah well, can't win 'em all ;)

Uphollow - Jackets For The Trip DTS 5.1 and Ian Cooke - The Fall I Fell (w/DVD-R of the album rather than the unreleased Tarantella I asked for, still no biggy) arrived today. Will give them a spin later (y)

I just got off the phone with Bob. I asked him about his available 5.1 mixes: (band, album, then the label where it is likely available)
NON - Mute
Lilium, short stories - Smooch
Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots - Alternative Tentacles http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=861&sd=Zs42sMcUcYshu@YB2rQ
16 Horsepower, Secret South - Alternative Tentacles
Ian Cooke, The Fall I Fell - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/
Uphollow, Jackets For The Trip - https://iancooke.bandcamp.com/

In my opinion the Munly album is the best Bob 5.1 mix.

The one I wasn't aware of from the above list is the "Non" album...

Anyone got it/comments? I assume it's "NON - Children of the Black Sun":

http://www.discogs.com/NON-Children-Of-The-Black-Sun/release/811576

Yeah I've got it.. 35-odd minutes of Dolby Digital I don't know what (instrumental dirge to me).. I'm sure it'd do it for some people and they'd love the content and the mix is certainly aggressive enough but went over my head I'm afraid.

Yeah I've got it.. 35-odd minutes of Dolby Digital I don't know what (instrumental dirge to me).. I'm sure it'd do it for some people and they'd love the content and the mix is certainly aggressive enough but went over my head I'm afraid.

Thanks - Yeah "Dark Ambient" - I don't pass on many surround mixes, but I'll probably pass on this...

Thanks - Yeah "Dark Ambient" - I don't pass on many surround mixes, but I'll probably pass on this...

"Dark Ambient".. is that what it is! I'm ignorant of that sub-genre :eek: for my money it could do with a bit more light to its shade! a hard listen, is how I would define it - and I did try, really!

"..woah, I'm a Dark Diamond,
I turned hard and cold,
I once was a jewel
with fire in my soul..."

Finally got round to listening to Lilium's "Short Stories" really liked the album and the mix, I'd only managed to get the CD of 16 Horsepower's "Secret South" and liked that too - so if I can find the DVD-A at a sensible price I'll get a copy. I've still got the Munly & Uphollow surround discs to listen to - the pile of discs to listen to has grown so its going to take a while!

Back