Roger Waters Amused to Death in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The following was posted on SHF

This is what I know from the major distributors in Europe, these are confirmed:

Sony/Columbia release on vinyl June 2015. (it was May, now it's June)
Sony/Columbia release on CD June 2015.
Sony/Columbia release on CD+BR June 2015.

This is listed but not yet confirmed:

Analogue Productions release on SACD (release date unknown, but listed as coming soon)

Analogue Productions US label vinyl vanished from the distribution lists at the same time the European Sony/Columbia vinyl was added.

Sony/Columbia release on CD+BR June 2015.

This is listed but not yet confirmed:

Analogue Productions release on SACD (release date unknown, but listed as coming soon)

Analogue Productions US label vinyl vanished from the distribution lists at the same time the European Sony/Columbia vinyl was added.
glad to see it goes to be on BD-A. now question only - how much they will charge?
nevertheless i do not expect extremely bold surround mix, knowing who's involved in mixing.
on WYWH i prefer old quad mix, over new 5.1, albeit sonically wise later one is better.

I'm a gonna cancel my SACD order and get the BluRay. It's a much more friendly format, IMHO, especially moving forward. (HiRez FLAC 5.1 download would be nice as well)

If you do a Google search of the catalogue number you'll get an idea of some of the European prices.

Columbia 0888430905528 - Q39153

There is also going to be 2 different LP releases on Columbia/Legacy. One will be a picture disc with a limited run of 2000.

I will pass on the blu-ray and get the close and play SACD from Acoustic Sounds. Blu Ray requires a choice so how can that be simpler than close and play?

I will pass on the blu-ray and get the close and play SACD from Acoustic Sounds.
nice to have options to choose from, isn't?
although it was and still the worst nightmare for surround format, since its introduction.

Maybe, but I'm hoping the BD has visuals to look at while enjoying the surround sound.

I hope so too. He did make a few music videos for the album. Two different videos for "What G-d Wants, part one" as well as a video for "Three Wishes." I don't remember if there were any others. Not great videos by any means, but they might as well be added to the BD for completions' sake.

I know Roger considers this to be the crown jewel of his solo catalog, but it's actually my least favorite of the three. It has some great moments. I really love the last three songs, but a lot of the preceding tracks do nothing for me. Hopefully though, he will continue with reissues of the earlier albums.

I'm a gonna cancel my SACD order and get the BluRay. It's a much more friendly format, IMHO, especially moving forward. (HiRez FLAC 5.1 download would be nice as well)

I have nothing against SACD per se, it's just the only format that cannot be easily extracted as I don't have a early PS3 and accompanying software to go with it. I will always support SACD when it's what's available. It is truly the only 'dualdisc' that's worth its salt.

Maybe, but I'm hoping the BD has visuals to look at while enjoying the surround sound.

The announcement earlier on this page included this:

This new edition, .... The tracklist is below, followed by a video of Waters performing the title track live in 2000.

So sounds like there maybe some video especially with the previous comment on music videos by privateuniverse.

I still have the feeling we will see Roger's 'The Wall' concert video on BD soon and would not be surprised to see some video of that in a promo on his ATD blu-ray.

I'm another that will buy the BD over the SACD (regardless of whether there's any video content). I don't believe in DSD hocus pocus either.

This release is climbing closer and closer towards the top of my Must Buy list, especially now that a Blu-Ray version is confirmed!
I still may get the SACD, but it really depends on cost and packaging.
The WYWH SACD package was beautiful and was definitely a cheaper alternative to the ultra expensive Immersion set (though I do play the Blu-Ray more however!)

Glad this release was able to happen after all! :)

The announcement earlier on this page included this:

This new edition, .... The tracklist is below, followed by a video of Waters performing the title track live in 2000.

So sounds like there maybe some video especially with the previous comment on music videos by privateuniverse.

It would be a bonus if it included videos but that's not what I'm looking for. I'd like something similar to The Who's "Quadrophenia" and Steven Wilson's releases such as "Hand. Cannot. Erase", while listening to the tracks.

Back