Rolling Stones' "40 Licks" Premieres on Dolby Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screenshot_2023-07-31-22-47-41-17_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

-- Niko Bolas, producer/mixer
https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/atmos-village

I believe getting the whole article is helpful to see where "He (Niko)" is coming from in all of this. Personally I feel an album like Sticky Fingers could be mixed to be very discrete and immersive if done by someone else that really gets it... (Steven Wilson) perhaps :)
For the most part the Rolling Stones multichannel mixes have been weak shit IMO; of course I'm no professional mix engineer either, just a music lover.

Niko begins by saying:

ā€œI spend quite a lot of time referencing binaural both in headphones and outā€ says producer/mixer Niko Bolas. ā€œIā€™m very much a ā€˜lowest common denominatorā€™ person. I have my Auratones connected to the binaural outputs because when a punter hits Play on his phone, he just wants to hear the title. Realising that itā€™s spatial is an afterthought. So, if you donā€™t mix for that person, theyā€™re going to hear something where the groove isnā€™t there if you didnā€™t balance the bottomā€‘end correctly.

ā€œWhen I first started doing immersive mixing, I was afraid to use it. I didnā€™t want anything behind me, but then you start getting into it. The back wall is something that really exists in in the real world: the guy sounding like heā€™s playing ā€˜over thereā€™, really happens. In general, my choices are that I will go against the walls with rhythm, like percussion and drums, and sometimes Iā€™ll put percussion behind me, whereas Iā€™ll take the body of the music ā€” guitars and keyboards ā€” and move them in closer to you. My reference is Neil Young. He told me that he would only do Atmos if I could make him feel like he was ā€˜sitting in the middle of monoā€™."

:unsure:

Now, am I interpreting this incorrectly?

Back