Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a dog in this race as I'm only a passing fan of the Rolling Stones, but does anyone think it's surprising/unusual/a missed opportunity/pick your own adjective that the "Brussels Affair" live set included in this set isn't included on the BluRay in both hirez stereo and surround given that Bob Clearmountain apparently prepares stereo and 5.1 mixes of everything he does, including a metric f-ton of live Stones releases on BluRay?

I don't have a dog in this race as I'm only a passing fan of the Rolling Stones, but does anyone think it's surprising/unusual/a missed opportunity/pick your own adjective that the "Brussels Affair" live set included in this set isn't included on the BluRay in both hirez stereo and surround given that Bob Clearmountain apparently prepares stereo and 5.1 mixes of everything he does, including a metric f-ton of live Stones releases on BluRay?

It's even more confusing when you factor in that it was broadcast in quad.......at least I have my boot DVD-audio to cover that.

Foobar will also play these if you use the very latest ffmpeg version

Ha; that worked. I have no idea what I am hearing as it is going via hdmi to a 5.1 av receiver; but certainly can now read and somewhat test m4a atmos files.

Overview on foobar process here:

1. MakeMKV to convert bluray to mkv. MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD

2. Music Media Helper to convert mkv to m4a (select 'Extract Audio from MKV', set output to m4a, make sure to select atmos audio track from mkv). Music Media Helper (useful tools for Music Videos & MCH Audio)

3. Latest ffmpeg 'packages and executables'; downloaded, extracted and placed somewhere sensible. Download FFmpeg

4. Foobar plugin 'ffmpeg decoder wrapper' to be downloaded and installed. Then in foobar, File->Preferences then Playback->Decoding->FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper. Specify the ffmpeg directory from earlier down the bottom, then click "Add" using the file type mask of "*.m4a" then OK. foobar2000: Components Repository - FFmpeg Decoder Wrapper

Then, amazingly, it plays something. It cannot be atmos. But it's got different things in different channels. Fascinating.

Foobar does some strange things in reading some m4a files initially which is a bit mysterious - often one m4a file dragged and dropped can show as two or three listings with different times and only one will work. Who knows what that is about.

Enjoying this path of discovery; cheers all.

P
You can use MMH to split your MKV rip (that includes the TrureHD/Atmos stream) into individual MKV files (one per chapter/song) and play Atmos over HDMI. The files won’t be tagged but you should still be able to play each file or all files ok in JRiver.
presumably you would lose the option of gapless playback using this method?

Well at least my order from the Udiscover site (SDE & 4 LP boxed sets) has finally arrived at my pick up location this morning :love: :love: :SB:QQlove(y)

I don't want to burst your happy bubble, but odds are it will be beat to hell when you pick it up. :(
Good luck.

Anybody who has waited to order the SDE might want to contact the seller to insist on appropriate heavy-duty packaging for a hard-cover book that weighs six pounds.

The cardboard packaging is little more than a wrapper.
There's a report it's not just uDiscover that ships them like this, also ImportCD and who knows?

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

I am having trouble playing the 7.1 FLACS on the Oppo 203. Nothing plays, in fact it locks up the Oppo. The files will play in Audacity, but not foobar (I will load the ffmpg libraries as explained above).

IIRC, I had the same issue when I ripped the Kraftwerk 7.1 files. I think I had to export and combine the channels? I have to check my process.

Other than that, is there something I am missing? I tried changing the downmix option on the Oppo (7.1, 5.1) The Marantz AVR automatically downmixes to 5.1

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't want to burst your happy bubble, but odds are it will be beat to hell when you pick it up. :(
Good luck.

Anybody who has waited to order the SDE might want to contact the seller to insist on appropriate heavy-duty packaging for a hard-cover book that weighs six pounds.

The cardboard packaging is little more than a wrapper.
There's a report it's not just uDiscover that ships them like this, also ImportCD and who knows?

View attachment 56147

View attachment 56148

View attachment 56149

Who was your seller - If Amazon, return that thang for another sooooo easy.......but give it a listen and rip 1st lol :giggle:

SHM is no better than regular CD.

Have to disagree a bit there - have compared some SHMs and to Snood there is/seems to be an good uptick in sound quality (for most) to me....... for sure overall quality. Either way we all have different equipment different tastes and settings and different ears. So to each their own tastes....Snood am on the side of SHM and wish could afford them lol

Not to mention the resale value on them is tons better than RBCD :LB

:love:Back to the subject at hand - Rolling Stones plllllllllllllllllleeeeeease :love:

Who was your seller - If Amazon, return that thang for another sooooo easy...

uDiscover.
I'm not going to bother to replace it, I'm playing the hell out of it and accepting that it's not a perfect world.

Besides, I've already ironed the posters. 🤓

IMG_4936.jpeg

.......but give it a listen and rip 1st lol :giggle:
I don't rip, I spin. Does that make me a spunion? 🌪

Have to disagree a bit there - have compared some SHMs and to Snood there is/seems to be an good uptick in sound quality (for most) to me....... for sure overall quality. Either way we all have different equipment different tastes and settings and different ears. So to each their own tastes....Snood am on the side of SHM and wish could afford them lol

Not to mention the resale value on them is tons better than RBCD :LB

:love:Back to the subject at hand - Rolling Stones plllllllllllllllllleeeeeease :love:
One more quick thingy about SHM, if you don’t mind kind Snood. I agree with you.
From what I’ve researched, SHM (Super High Material) is basically a coating theoretically so the laser can pick up the Kibble and Bits with more transparency. Now that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, ‘cause if it’s digital, it will either read a 0 & 1, or it won’t. What matters is the subsequent DAC processing/timing.
The main reason I believe those SHM CDs sound better is due to the Japanese mastering.
But, yes, all related to Stones’ stuff here since Markie might be gettin’ good SHM stuffy like Brussels Affair 😋 ie!

I'm seeing lots of negative reviews regarding the surround mix. I'm wondering if the complaints about lack of content use of back speakers on some of the tracks is purely the mix or results of the hardware people have? Many people don't have the luxury of full range rear speakers and tend to go for smallish, bookcase style speakers (wife approved) at the back. I used to complain about same until I got full range rear tower speakers. I get a much better experience now. Just curious and still waiting for my Amazon delivery of you know what...

Back