Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
presumably you would lose the option of gapless playback using this method?

It depends on your player. I know Kodi supports gapless playback from other audio files, I don't see why it wouldn't play m4a files differently. JRiver does gapless audio play back too (just can't play TrueHD yet, it will come at some stage).

Holy crap. Surround mastering engineer Bob Vosgien has posted in the poll, giving this thing a '4'. Check out his post in the poll thread. It just validates my findings as I've been listening to this over the past week.

I'm seeing lots of negative reviews regarding the surround mix. I'm wondering if the complaints about lack of content use of back speakers on some of the tracks is purely the mix or results of the hardware people have? Many people don't have the luxury of full range rear speakers and tend to go for smallish, bookcase style speakers (wife approved) at the back. I used to complain about same until I got full range rear tower speakers. I get a much better experience now. Just curious and still waiting for my Amazon delivery of you know what...

I have a small room for my setup and my system is VERY compact/frugal (smaller Klipsch speakers, Onkyo receiver), and I thought the mix sounded great. Just my experience, though. Everyone's ears are different.

I am having trouble playing the 7.1 FLACS on the Oppo 203. Nothing plays, in fact it locks up the Oppo. The files will play in Audacity, but not foobar (I will load the ffmpg libraries as explained above).

IIRC, I had the same issue when I ripped the Kraftwerk 7.1 files. I think I had to export and combine the channels? I have to check my process.

Other than that, is there something I am missing? I tried changing the downmix option on the Oppo (7.1, 5.1) The Marantz AVR automatically downmixes to 5.1

Any help would be appreciated.

I think I may have solved the issue (I just tried one file so far):

Random research:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/54189-atmos-disc-ripped-to-usb-doesnt-play-on-oppo-103/
I tried combining the surrounds resulting in a 6.1 FLAC, but I got the same result. And then I found this:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_mac_os_x.html#macff
After I installed the ffmpeg, and combined the rears, the FLACs are playing!
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/advanced_mixing_options.htmlhttps://lame.buanzo.org/#lameosx64bitdlhttps://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_ffmpeg_for_mac.html

Foobar does some strange things in reading some m4a files initially which is a bit mysterious - often one m4a file dragged and dropped can show as two or three listings with different times and only one will work. Who knows what that is about.

Thanks for the feedback Stupy.

I noticed that issue in foobar when playing back a single m4a file, not if I selected multiple files. It looks like foobar looks for file chapters if loaded individually (m4a file's support chapters)

MMH currently doesn't remove the chapter encoding, and there's a tiny chapter appended in the audio file. I'll fix that today by removing chapters during the mk4 conversion and update MMH.

I'm seeing lots of negative reviews regarding the surround mix. I'm wondering if the complaints about lack of content use of back speakers on some of the tracks is purely the mix or results of the hardware people have? Many people don't have the luxury of full range rear speakers and tend to go for smallish, bookcase style speakers (wife approved) at the back. I used to complain about same until I got full range rear tower speakers. I get a much better experience now. Just curious and still waiting for my Amazon delivery of you know what...
I've heard from folks that have a full Atmos system that it's a very full immersive and pleasurable listen; but many of us don't have Atmos yet or never will, I only have 5.1 max. and am still undecided on if I'll ever get there. Would also like to know more about what's been put up in the height speakers. But, then again, the height speakers, don't necessarily mean that the sound is stuck on the ceiling with the speakers, if I understand correctly, the object oriented Atmos approach mixes the sounds for a specific area of the overall sound field, and could be more center of the room as an example. But would also like to here more from the Atmos folks about how "that" aspect of the Atmos mix sounds. We all have various expectations about what "discrete" means and how it should be utilized in a particular album setting.

Holy crap. Surround mastering engineer Bob Vosgien has posted in the poll, giving this thing a '4'. Check out his post in the poll thread. It just validates my findings as I've been listening to this over the past week.
I have an unopened box from udiscover music delivered yesterday. Thinking seriously about returning it even though I may have to pay the return shipping. Such a shame.

I have an unopened box from udiscover music delivered yesterday. Thinking seriously about returning it even though I may have to pay the return shipping. Such a shame.

Tough decision. You might like it. Just because some folks don't doesn't mean you won't. Very tough call. It's why I usually hate posting a negative review unless it's a slam dunk, a la Silverline

Tough decision. You might like it. Just because some folks don't doesn't mean you won't. Very tough call. It's why I usually hate posting a negative review unless it's a slam dunk, a la Silverline
Yeah, now that some of that "Oh Gosh" newness of the first MC Rolling Stones album release has worn off, that whole muddiness issue is starting to be evident as I get more listening time with it. I've spent a lot of time with "Dancing with Mr. D" and am definitely starting to feel the same as Mr. Vosgien about that one. May need to reassess my voting, but I'll sit on it awhile and get more playing time first.

Who am I kidding Jon? I will probably keep it. My survivors won’t know to do with stuff!
9EE050FB-0AF7-4096-989E-0E771EB674A5.jpeg

Luckily for me, "Dancing With Mr. D" is the one song I never really cared for (and still don't, as it has the worst mix on the album.) I've been able to "manipulate" most of the other tracks into surround mixes I like, but I really hope that by the time we get to "Sticky Fingers" no manipulation will be necessary!

I am having trouble playing the 7.1 FLACS on the Oppo 203. Nothing plays, in fact it locks up the Oppo. The files will play in Audacity, but not foobar (I will load the ffmpg libraries as explained above).

IIRC, I had the same issue when I ripped the Kraftwerk 7.1 files. I think I had to export and combine the channels? I have to check my process.

Other than that, is there something I am missing? I tried changing the downmix option on the Oppo (7.1, 5.1) The Marantz AVR automatically downmixes to 5.1

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you try both bitstream and PCM settings in the Oppo? The receiver should handle both...

MMH currently doesn't remove the chapter encoding, and there's a tiny chapter appended in the audio file. I'll fix that today by removing chapters during the mk4 conversion and update MMH.

Music Media Helper 4.0.7 Released with above fix

I agree to some extent that the fidelity on this isn't amazing (though no worse than the original stereo mix to my ears), but one thing I really appreciate is that mastering is pretty laid-back. I just had "Star Star" going in my Acura at '18' volume! It's tough to get past '9' on the White Album.

Same experience here...

Back