Rolling Stones Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition (with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be rude but I would like to announce that my Stones set arrived today with the Quadio box.
No damaged corners at all. A sticker on the outside says it was made in the Czech Republic.
Did this box start out from there?
When I open this to play I doubt I will see any damage. My real concern are the comments about the mix.

A quick note I played the bluray after listening to the Quadio Toulouse street. I was expecting bad fidelity but to me that was not the case
Simply put there was no magic here in the mix unlike the Doobies.
From the get go there were no active rears in Dancing with Mr D
Totally front centric. I tried synthesizing the L And R but it only helped a little.
It got better on later songs but overall this is a pretty disappointing surround mix if you want to call it that

On the other hand the three new songs were definitely in surround a much much better mix. Why couldn't the main album have been treated this way?
The first bonus song sounded like an unfinished demo but I did enjoy the last two more

On my Oppo when I selected the atmos mix it showed 7.1 even though I only have a 5.0 system
Who knows what's going on but the 3 bonus songs are definitely mixed differently than the main album. I need to listen more.

A quick note I played the bluray after listening to the Quadio Toulouse street. I was expecting bad fidelity but to me that was not the case
Totally front centric. I tried synthesizing the L And R but it only helped a little.
It got better on later songs but overall this is a pretty disappointing surround mix if you want to call it that

On the other hand the three new songs were definitely in surround a much much better mix. Why couldn't the main album have been treated this way?
The first bonus song sounded like an unfinished demo but I did enjoy the last two more

On my Oppo when I selected the atmos mix it showed 7.1 even though I only have a 5.0 system
Who knows what's going on but the 3 bonus songs are definitely mixed differently than the main album. I need to listen more.

If you recall, Jeff...the exact same scenario with IMAGINE. IMO, the 5.1 mix was tepid in comparison to the bonus in studio tracks which were wildly discrete.

I never bought the deluxe Imagine 4ears but you are right.
I doubt more listening is going to make me like this mix. I will probably like the extra demos and live concert .....could it be quad encoded....and the book looks nice but this was a lot of money spent.
Maybe the way to look at this is I bought an expensive coffee table book with a music cd

Is it not funny how us old dudes just keep the love alive. Steve, stop sleeping with yours cds dvds and records.! The idea is to be able to listen, unless your in the race. I have everything on hard drives, dvda, sacd, dts quad conversions. I decided long ago, they dont need to do it and i can listen to anything in a few seconds. Oppo love. Tapes go bad, moving it is a pain. The skinny way can be happy!!
Oh I totally agree. I have multiple terabytes of files on maybe 10 external drives? I’m not sure of the count! That includes hundreds of conversions. Thanks to you in part. Thank you by the way. I’ve been around here since the Quadbob days. I have most if not all of my music on hard drives except for around 1000 cds. It’s that and getting everything tagged properly on my music server to play via JRIVER on my client to my AVR. I’m retiring at the end of the year, so maybe in another year I will have everything tagged properly to enjoy my digital library. Oh wait, I also have to format properly to play in my RDX.
So when you say skinny way are you suggesting selling everything once ripped?

Wait, that's a Vox amp snuck into the corner 😎 - hmmm now how do I connect that with TRS...
https://equipboard.com/pros/keith-richards/vox-ac30-guitar-combo-amp

Like the Beatles, Jones, Keith and the Stones gravitated to VOX amps indicative of the British sound. But moved to Fender amps (American sound). I'm sure when they toured the US early on Fender amps were more readily available (most likely too expensive to haul their gear overseas).

I'll take a vintage Fender tube amp over a Vox but they are all fantastic.

Brian Jones with a Fender head and cab:
429e872cdac52327c8447b6429baf5d2--music-pictures-the-rolling-stones.jpg

Like the Beatles, Jones, Keith and the Stones gravitated to VOX amps indicative of the British sound. But moved to Fender amps (American sound). I'm sure when they toured the US early on Fender amps were more readily available (most likely too expensive to haul their gear overseas).

I'll take a vintage Fender tube amp over a Vox but they are all fantastic.

Brian Jones with a Fender head and cab:
View attachment 56193

Amazing photo!! Love it.

Hey GOS, I may have missed a post did you or are you going to pick up the new GHS release?
I have it, just haven't spent much time (at all) with it. Been traveling with work, so.... Also, the package arrived a bit roughed up, which doesn't make me too happy at $100. I was lucky enough to hear a couple flacs and I'm good with what I hear. Probably crack it open this weekend.

From my perspective...without hearing the latest offering...is that the Stones catalog is so robust that any attempt to bring their music back again is a good thing...there isn't going to be any Steven Wilson caliber mixes...but ANY improvement to this magnificent catalog is welcomed by me...there are some bands...like Led Zeppelin with a great collection of music that is languishing in the vaults because Jimmy Page has a stranglehold on the titles and has gradually diminished the sound quality of these great songs over the last decade....another band I love is Rush...all those great songs and a little Steven Wilson magic amidst a sea of average to poor audio quality music in their catalog...

From my perspective...without hearing the latest offering...is that the Stones catalog is so robust that any attempt to bring their music back again is a good thing...there isn't going to be any Steven Wilson caliber mixes...but ANY improvement to this magnificent catalog is welcomed by me...there are some bands...like Led Zeppelin with a great collection of music that is languishing in the vaults because Jimmy Page has a stranglehold on the titles and has gradually diminished the sound quality of these great songs over the last decade....another band I love is Rush...all those great songs and a little Steven Wilson magic amidst a sea of average to poor audio quality music in their catalog...

I 100% agree my man. I know for fact, I'm gonna love this Stones release.

Cool, I have a slew of tube amps, mostly Fender (Deluxe Reverb, Vibrolux), some vintage but lately have been using Positive Grid's Bias FX digital modelling. It's pretty cool.

View attachment 56194
View attachment 56195
Very nice setup! The analog sound can’t be beat, but the digital setup allows me to hear myself in my headphones playing along with whatever I’m trying to learn to play. I have the Bias FX as well with an EVO audio interface. No issues with my better half now! I can play loud and she doesn’t hear a thing. Also all those effects at your fingertips at a fraction of the cost.
163FB04A-5892-41B2-94AD-EDA04ABBC976.jpeg

I have it, just haven't spent much time (at all) with it. Been traveling with work, so.... Also, the package arrived a bit roughed up, which doesn't make me too happy at $100. I was lucky enough to hear a couple flacs and I'm good with what I hear. Probably crack it open this weekend.
With your love of old Rock photography you should really dig the GHS book Gene. Now if they could have only figured a way to enclose it without glueing it to the whole box set. Guess they figured the whole thing is like a coffee table box, but I do like that sort of fabric grey cover. On mine, the cover photo doesn’t look all that well glued on either though.

Reactions: GOS
My two cents on the mystery of this mix. I'm listening for the first time to the Atmos mix, with 5.1.4 setup. I'm on Dancing with Mr. D and I can attest that the rear speakers are not silent at all. It is true that they may benefit from a couple of dB boost, but I can clearly tell piano, I think rythm guitar and backing vocals on the rears. And the mix at floor level seems to be discreet. On the next song, piano is clearly isolated on the rear speakers and not present anywhere else.
Another story are the height speakers, as there seems to be a bit of everything up there. Even Mick's lead vocal is on the rear height speakers most of the times, mixed with other instruments.
These are just very quick impressions on first listen with ear-close-to-the-speaker method.
I'm liking the mix at regular surround level, but so far the Atmos is not impressive at all.
But definitely, I'm not missing anything on the rears as Jon and other were pointing out based on the 5.1 downmix. I have the gut feeling that the Blu-ray authoring without the DTS HD track in regular 5.1 is tricking our systems and 7.1 Atmos is not behaving properly if not played on an Atmos native setup.

I'm on Dancing with Mr. D and I can attest that the rear speakers are not silent at all. It is true that they may benefit from a couple of dB boost, but I can clearly tell piano, I think rythm guitar and backing vocals on the rears. And the mix at floor level seems to be discreet. On the next song, piano is clearly isolated on the rear speakers and not present anywhere else.

I hear the same thing on on my 5.1 setup (y)

Rolling Stones Break Records As ‘Goats Head Soup’ Returns To UK No.1

www.udiscovermusic.com

Rolling Stones Break Records As 'Goats Head Soup' Returns To UK No.1
At the end of a close-fought chart battle, the Rolling Stones' 'Goats Head Soup' reissue has taken the 1973 album back to No.1 in the UK.
www.udiscovermusic.com
www.udiscovermusic.com

Let's just hope and pray that there will be more from their archives in Atmos......Like "Sticky Fingers" my favorite album of theirs of all time...... I can imagine how AMAZING "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" would sound in ATMOS...my favorite song of theirs of all time as well:SB :love:

Last edited:
Back