Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Record day is a farce

Nothing on CD, shops have 1 or 2 of each product if any

Why not have CDs, DVDs and BluRay as well also 5.1 mixes that are unique?

I don't even have a bloody turntable

It just depends on which record store...not all offer the same selection and many offer good deals...I'm glad people go to their local shops on record day and support those brick and mortal shops...although I make most of my transactions on the net there are many brick and mortar shops that I wish were still in business...there were advantages to having them in your community...and maybe since you don't even own a turntable going to a record store wasn't the place to go in the first place..

Record day is a farce

Nothing on CD, shops have 1 or 2 of each product if any

Why not have CDs, DVDs and BluRay as well also 5.1 mixes that are unique?

I don't even have a bloody turntable

I agree. They never seem to have any equivalent CD editions for things, it's always vinyl. And, it definitely should be a promotional tool for Audio DVDs (DVD-A and dts), SACDs and blu-ray (with an emphasis on surround) for sure. I think the resurgence of vinyl is a great thing in it's own right, but just imagine if the industry put the same amount of support behind hi-res products (in general) instead. Let vinyl be more of the niche market.

Well, it is called "record" store day. It is designed to promote the vinyl resurgence. I do agree it is silly.

First, yes, it's "Record Store Day," not CD or blu-ray day. The shop I went to this year had multiple titles of everything, and I mean lots! Second, if you supported your local independent store more, they might start carrying surround titles. I purchased the recent Super Session and Guess Who SACD's at my local shop, and using their 20% off coupons I got them for far cheaper than I could get online. They also stock blu-ray audio titles. I love surround sound, I love vinyl, but most of all I love music.

As for the Ladytron 10", being a UK exclusive, I patiently waited until one showed up on ebay at very close to list price, a little more than half the price that other sellers were selling it at. Not every ebay seller is a gouger, just be patient.

The first Roxy Music album is my favorite by them, and one of my all-time favorites period. I can't wait for this deluxe set to come out and will gladly pay any price for an included surround mix. Now for the inevitable complaining when it does come out, "What, no DVDA/Blu-ray/standalone..."

Steven Wilson's first official post on his remix of "Roxy Music":

One remix project completed some time ago which is planned for issue later this year, is the classic 1972 debut album by Roxy Music. To preview a deluxe set, Universal Music Group recently released 2 of the tracks on 10 inch vinyl for Record Store Day.
Included were my mixes of a previously unheard full length version of Ladytron (running about 3 minutes longer than the original version) and The Numberer, which was the original B-side to Virginia Plain. The whole album and the A+B sides of the single will also be included on the deluxe edition mixed into 5.1 surround sound.
I always prefer to work closely with the artist on these projects, and in this case it was the band’s original guitar player Phil Manzanera who oversaw and approved the remixes.

https://www.facebook.com/swremixes

I just received the Ladytron 10" in the mail yesterday, shipped from Greece. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I have an appointment tonight with the turntable and a glass or two of single malt. This may be my most anticipated surround release ever.

I just received the Ladytron 10" in the mail yesterday, shipped from Greece. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I have an appointment tonight with the turntable and a glass or two of single malt. This may be my most anticipated surround release ever.

Its certainly up there with XTC's Oranges and Lemons

First off, who said Ladytron was a UK exclusive? I bought it yesterday from my local Canadian store and it was there on RSD in quantity. BTW, it's next on my platter too! Second, I am offended that us vinyl lovers can't have one day to get new releases. You dirgital lovers get new releases all the time. I get to look forward to one or two days a year for new records. Sorry if my rant offends anyone, but I miss the days of having excitement for new releases on record. I buy my surround titles online because I can't get them locally, to my knowledge, but I buy my new records 3 blocks from home. OK ladies and gents, back to the music!:brew

First off, who said Ladytron was a UK exclusive? I bought it yesterday from my local Canadian store and it was there on RSD in quantity. BTW, it's next on my platter too! Second, I am offended that us vinyl lovers can't have one day to get new releases. You dirgital lovers get new releases all the time. I get to look forward to one or two days a year for new records. Sorry if my rant offends anyone, but I miss the days of having excitement for new releases on record. I buy my surround titles online because I can't get them locally, to my knowledge, but I buy my new records 3 blocks from home. OK ladies and gents, back to the music!:brew

I'm in your corner...I salute the vinyl warriors...you are keeping the faint embers of analog alive...you are on the front lines of an unwinnable war... the only thing between you warriors and the Digital "Sith" is vinyl...the last outpost..I'm in the next battle line...the physical disc wars..we are holding our own against the Download Empire and the dark side and despite the lure of instant gratification from the download regime we are holding firm and never wavering in our beliefs...we won't go away...."let the wow and flutter be with you" brave vinyl warrior..

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but vinyl records are released all year long, aren't they?

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but vinyl records are released all year long, aren't they?

You get the odd title at sporadic times, very unpredictable. RSD gives us a chance to meet fellow record lovers and find special editions, new releases and other treats like back in the 70's and 80's when stores got new titles and it was the event of the week for music lovers. Don't get me wrong, I have dirgital and can enjoy some of it, but if I have my stereo or mono choice, it will be on record(if it is pressed well). If it is in surround, it is dirgital all the way, regardless of SACD, DVD-A or Blu-Ray Audio/HFPA. I may even buy Kate Pierson's new album on CD as it seems to be the only way to get it. As to new releases on vinyl, it is a waste of time here to go in weekly to the local shop, that is why RSD is important to us with turntables.

Thank you for the explanation.

You are welcome. I apologise for sounding harsh earlier. I do like digital and think it has great potential, I just don't get the feel, if you know what I mean. I am not down on digital lovers, I just don't get what they get. It's kinda like my mother's brand of Christianity, it works for her(supposedly?), but not for me. I still love her and tell her when I disagree though. Hope I didn't go too far with my analogy. I do wish MORE digital was mixed for big speakers and not earbuds. If it is Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner or Jakko, I now I will get a good digital sound.:music

You are welcome. I apologise for sounding harsh earlier. I do like digital and think it has great potential, I just don't get the feel, if you know what I mean. I am not down on digital lovers, I just don't get what they get. It's kinda like my mother's brand of Christianity, it works for her(supposedly?), but not for me. I still love her and tell her when I disagree though. Hope I didn't go too far with my analogy. I do wish MORE digital was mixed for big speakers and not earbuds. If it is Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner or Jakko, I now I will get a good digital sound.:music
haha, no need to apologise CV.

I can understand that you look forward to a day like RSD when you are into vinyl. Agree with you about mastering these days. Although the tide seems to be turning with listeners and artists alike getting fed up with brickwalled releases.

[video=youtube;y9JcyoUjw7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9JcyoUjw7Q[/video]

We are all in for a treat!
Here it is!
The full extended version of "Ladytron" from the 10" sampler!
I'm grinning from ear to ear while listening to this!
I definitely think this is going to be THE surround release of the year!

:banana: :cool:

wow. Wow. WOW! This was a revelation! I bought this 1st album on stereo 8 track in 1975 and quickly went out and bought Siren and everything in between! Very excited to actually be getting this in surround and this version of Ladytron was only hinted at with the edited album version. Fantastic to get this after all this time. Ready to pre-order now, whatever it takes! :)

[video=youtube;y9JcyoUjw7Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9JcyoUjw7Q[/video]

We are all in for a treat!
Here it is!
The full extended version of "Ladytron" from the 10" sampler!
I'm grinning from ear to ear while listening to this!
I definitely think this is going to be THE surround release of the year!

:banana: :cool:

It does sounds great even through the vinyl/YouTube filter!

[video=youtube;1QFNJHTvP3A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QFNJHTvP3A[/video]

The B-side to the Record Store Day single, Steven Wilson's remix of "The Numberer". Enjoy! :music

I never had a chance to comment on the extended "Ladytron" since posting it a few weeks ago.

The most interesting part to me is the first 1:40, especially when you have a chance to hear how they actually started that fade-in on the electronics & oboe.
The rest of it is great too though. The long outro reminds me of the first time I ever heard the full version of 'Knife-Edge' on the ELP DVD-A.

Hope we get more amazing goodies like this one! :)

Back