Santana III DTS CD???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sq10

Question;

Was there ever a dts cd (or SQ encoded cd) version of Santana III??

I know about "Abraxas" being released on DTS format(got it), and that "Lotus" is SQ encoded on all its releases; LP & CD(got 'em too); but I've never seen III-or even heard of it.

I listened to a conversion and it sounds like a quad master- dang!
And I was so proud of my SQ LP conversion! :eek:

Any of you gurus have any idea? Was it a "pre-release" master that got away?

Just curious...:smokin

It was probably a conversion from a Q8. Folks would be suprised at how good a Q8 sourced conversion can sound.

There was no official Santana III DTS CD.

It was probably a conversion from a Q8. Folks would be suprised at how good a Q8 sourced conversion can sound.

There was no official Santana III DTS CD.

Cool , cause my personal experiences with Q8s have not been good. If anything because of the "non-existent" high frequency spectrum, i.e. , a sharp drop after 10 KHz .
What is the top KHz of a good Q8 then? (hmm I'm guessing this question would be better in another topic)

18,5KHz is the top i've personally met (A&M USA Carpenters "Now and then"). That's the only A&M cart that went so high.
In the 17-18KHz range the EMI UK with riveted black shell, ex. PF AHM.
In the 16-17KHz range: EMI UK, white or green shell; Vedette Italy; PRT UK (includes A&M, Pye, Vanguard etc...)
In the 15-16KHz range everything else BUT older Columbia and all USA Liberty (includes Liberty, Stax, UA) which tops at 12KHz.

Of course that doesn't consider badly duplicated tapes... sometimes one channel tops at 4KHz.

Sharp drop is present also in vinyl, and it's easy to find out where it is: sample a part of any lp with a fade out of a song and the begin of another, then boots everything over 10KHz of 25/30db: you can clearly see where the master tape noise floor tops, everything else above that is only due to stylus mechanical resonances. For example, PH AHM Japan LP tops at 18KHz, which is just 0.5KHz above the black UK Q8.

This is hardly surprising. As a collector of vinyl, I can tell you that what *look* like identical pressings can actually sound different enough in quality to be obvious when played side by side. This is also true of compact discs, and when I've mentioned it, some are incredulous and scoff at the notion, but it's true. So there is no guarantee, upon first listen, that you've gotten the best of anything; that might be the case, but there are *bad* transfers and pressings out there that look, for all the world, good...until you actually play them back. There is no way to be sure. Which is why I'm very thankful when I not only find a good pressing, but nice sound, too. Those are the pieces you cherish...:)

ED :)

This is hardly surprising. As a collector of vinyl, I can tell you that what *look* like identical pressings can actually sound different enough in quality to be obvious when played side by side.

That's why white labels rule! :D (Of course, try finding a white-label Quad issue... hah.)

I might have a couple, but don't remember any Columbia's, they seem to have been stickered on the cover as promos but the records were stocks. Not that that's bad, but it is true that WLP's were usually the first pressed, since getting stuff to radio was always of paramount importance.

ED :)

Regarding Q8 frequency response, the later Dolby B Columbia Q8 tapes were noticibly brighter thanks to the emphasis applied. Those were fun days with the H-K 8+ pumping it out faithfully.

Back