Screen Mirror Oppo Video to Cell Phone

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonik Wiz

👂 500 MPH EARS 👂
QQ Supporter
Recently I’ve been enjoying a lot more music than movies in my Bassment. Much of what I listen to is menu driven either from the disc source or an external HDD plugged into my Oppo 105. Problem is I have front projection with an expensive bulb burning just to select & listen to music. What I would like to do is screen mirror my Oppo’s menu to a device other than my Panny 8000 projector.

At the simplest I could just get a smallish 20” TV/Monitor, set it on the floor & run HDMI to it. I think this would be aesthetically unpleasing & distracting when watching movies as the best placement would be underneath the big screen.

The solution I’m looking for is to mirror screen the Oppo to my Android cell phone. What seems simple is not. I have scoured Parts Express for a gadget to do so & come up zilch. Before posting here I searched the Google Empire & found others wanted to do this. All the various replies in other forums seemed confused responses. So to clarify: I do not want to stream from my cell phone to my Oppo/projector or TV. I do not want to make my Oppo accessible outside of my home LAN a la Slingbox. I do not want a wired connection via USB to my cell phone. I just want watch what’s on my Oppo to my cell phone wirelessly.

The closest solution I can find is called Airtame & for $400 it’s a no go. There’s such a depth of knowledge as well as width on this forum that me thinks someone has already explored this and figured it out. Me thinks there is somewhere a reasonably priced gizmo that will work but I just haven’t found it yet.

Any tips or info much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Is having this on a large screen what you really want. The Oppo app can be used on a mobile phone or a tablet and also acts as a remote control. I find it extremely useful.

That being said, your phone does not become a monitor which would allow you to watch video content. The app allows you to browse through your server/discs/network and choose the tracks to play. You then have a window which resembles any media player with a screen showing you the artwork.

I hope I understood what you meant.

Hey Simon thanks for the fast reply!
Is having this on a large screen what you really want. The Oppo app can be used on a mobile phone or a tablet and also acts as a remote control. I find it extremely useful.

No, having it on a big screen is exactly what I don't want. It's the way I have been doing it. I have totally overlooked the Oppo app. From what you say it might work out. Again I don't really want watch DVD/Bluray video through my cell phone but I want to slect and use the menu set up so I don't have to use my projector. What you have described might do that. I am checking it out!

Hey Simon thanks for the fast reply!

No, having it on a big screen is exactly what I don't want. It's the way I have been doing it. I have totally overlooked the Oppo app. From what you say it might work out. Again I don't really want watch DVD/Bluray video through my cell phone but I want to slect and use the menu set up so I don't have to use my projector. What you have described might do that. I am checking it out!

Sounds like the app is what you need then. I hope it works for you. :)

YATTA!
It works! Based on 5 mins checking out it will be just what I need.

Hmmm, wondering if I can run stereo music from an SSD on my Oppo, then push it to my networked computer on the other side of the house, and then run a cable 20' over to my SMv2 and control it all on my iPhone?:unsure:

Great! This should make your life easier.
After using the app a bit I'm pretty satisfied. A solid night of good listening with out having to turn on the projector! One quirk I've noticed is it doesn't change the file name being played when it advances from one file to another.

Say I rip Steely Dan Pretzel Logic from vinyl LP. The 1st side is saved as SD Pretzel_A & the 2nd one as SD Pretzel_B. I start playing file A and when done it moves smoothly over to side B but the side A name stays the same. Is this quirk? My phone: Galaxy S8 ? The file naming syntax I use?

Otherwise works like a charm. Thanks again Simon.

After using the app a bit I'm pretty satisfied. A solid night of good listening with out having to turn on the projector! One quirk I've noticed is it doesn't change the file name being played when it advances from one file to another.

Say I rip Steely Dan Pretzel Logic from vinyl LP. The 1st side is saved as SD Pretzel_A & the 2nd one as SD Pretzel_B. I start playing file A and when done it moves smoothly over to side B but the side A name stays the same. Is this quirk? My phone: Galaxy S8 ? The file naming syntax I use?

Otherwise works like a charm. Thanks again Simon.

The Oppo apps for both the 103 and 203 are both incredibly quirky. The good news is that they're great for starting the music and once the music starts it reliably keeps going, but the apps seem to display what they feel like displaying when the mood strikes.

I finally figured out an easy workaround for a problem I've experienced frequently: If you navigate to a directory, play an album, then come back to the directory later, the Oppo apps may refuse to list the directory contents. In the past I dealt with it by power cycling the player (annoying!) but I've learned that all you really have to do is navigate to a different directory, then go back to the one you really want.

Back