Seal 1994 (2CD/Blu-Ray Deluxe Edition with new Dolby Atmos Mix!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer CD/Blu-ray packages. I still listen to CDs at home and in the car, and CDs are a dawdle to rip and add to my stereo library as compared to any other optical media. I'm curious how many feel the same. In fact, I'm going to start a poll right now to see where majority site opinion lies on this.
Hmmmm... I haven't had a car with a CD player in it for years.

When I buy a Atmos music disc I never listen to the included 5.1 mix. I may give a included quad mix a listen just for fun, but only once. Atmos is my game and the only discs I will buy are those with Atmos mixes.

Yes. Atmos is a different approach to multichannel music, not a 5.1 substitute; but honestly I fear they will let 5.1 die in favor of spacial audio. I hope they will prove me wrong
When I buy a Atmos music disc I never listen to the included 5.1 mix. I may give a included quad mix a listen just for fun, but only once. Atmos is my game and the only discs I will buy are those with Atmos mixes.

1) The 5.1 (Penteo Upmix) of the song Bargain on Who's Next sounds better than the Atmos (Penteo Upmix.) There is something wrong with the balance of that song in Atmos, and it is way to 'phasey.'

2) I prefer the 5.1 of the song One After 909 on Let It Be to the Atmos of that song.

3) I was so disappointed with the Atmos mix of Revolver that I made my own 5.1 using the remixed stereo CD.

It's a real shame that the blu-ray does not include the older 5.1 mix, any of the rarities in high resolution or multichannel, and none of the videos - just the original 11 tracks in Atmos and high resolution stereo - a criminal waste of space and sadly an all too common practice for these blu-ray reissues. Instead, we get 2 additional CDs which, for many on this forum, are unnecessary. I already own 'Seal IV' and 'Best I 1991 - 2004' on DVD-A and both sound terrific. The 'Best I 1991 - 2004' disc is absolutely packed and puts the new blu-ray to shame - that single DVD disc contains a full band hits album (14 tracks), an acoustic hits album (13 tracks) and 10 videos, with audio offered in Dolby Digital, 5.1 MLP and Hi-Res stereo.

There isn't a lot of overlap between the new release and the Best of disc, so I will probably consider a purchase but will wait for reviews. While it would be nice to have the entire second album mixed in Atmos, it's hard to overlook the fact that it just isn't a very good value in terms of the blu-ray contents.

While it would be nice to have the entire second album mixed in Atmos, it's hard to overlook the fact that it just isn't a very good value in terms of the blu-ray contents.
I agree, £35.00 is too much money for three discs. Indeed, you can currently purchase the 'Super Deluxe' version of Let It Be, which has six discs, excellent packaging and a 100 page book for the same price!

These types of releases need to be in the £16.00 to £23.00 range depending on their packaging and documentation!

Considering the crazy prices of these discs I would want them to be comprehensive of all the existing mixes; a 📀 blu-ray can store multiple mixes easily

They play with the visible quantity of something: for example editions containing 10 discs (9 CDs and a DVD); on the contrary I prefer a single blu-ray (and why not more affordable) containing tons of content. I mean too often is marketing

Same here. Sometimes, less is more. Easier and more efficient to mix for 6 channels instead of 14.
My feeling is that some music lends itself to Atmos (newly recorded Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel) whereas other music simply doesn't (Bob Dylan's SDE was a disappointment to me).

My feeling is that some music lends itself to Atmos (newly recorded Tears for Fears and Peter Gabriel) whereas other music simply doesn't (Bob Dylan's SDE was a disappointment to me).
Fair point, but it certainly helps if you like the content to begin with.

Hope no one who wasn't a fan of the original bought the Dylan 2022 Atmos remix expecting to be blown away with surround awesomeness.
Sometimes discreteness & immersiveness is in the performance & arrangements, not isolated in ceilings & corners. ;)

I suggest folks who bought Time Out of Mind & found it lacking sell it on discogs to someone who would appreciate it.
Only mint sealed copies listed currently by US sellers at premium prices.
Might be buyers waiting for a lightly used bargain.
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/27054081?ev=rb&ships_from=United+States

Free up some cash for new releases you might enjoy more.

I basically do NOT agree. My feeling is that any type of music lends itself to Atmos, except perhaps, when there are technical difficulties due to the non-availability of suitable multitracks.

The question here is that there are some sound engineers who make poor Atmos mixes and do not know (or cannot try) how to get any artistic performance out of it.

Back