• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Simple Minds Street Fighting Years box set in the works

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Street Fighting Years is my favourite Simple Minds album so I am quite disappointed about the lack of 5.1 mix. To me, the album is up there as Stephen Lipson's best work as producer/engineer along with Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Liverpool album. Layers after layers of sound. One can simply imagine how amazing the mixes could have been. This is one big set I would have sprung for if a 5.1 mix had been included. Oh well... Penteo will have to do I suppose.

privateuniverse

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
From an interview with Jim Kerr over at SDE today:

SDE: I remember when the ‘Sparkle in the Rain’ reissue came out. Steven Wilson created a great 5.1 surround mix, and given the kind of widescreen, cinematic nature of ‘Street Fighting Years’, was there ever any discussions about maybe doing a surround mix of the record?

JK:
Honestly, without putting the blame on anyone, it is our catalogue, but it’s not. If Universal [Music] want to invest in that stuff, they do, if they don’t, they don’t. I mean it’s theirs to do that stuff and sometimes they do it, as you say. What can we do? We can either sit and say, well, we want fuck all to do with this, this stuff. Or else we say, alright, if you’re going to do it, then let us get involved to whatever degree we can. But if they don’t see the logic in doing that just now, or have some vision of doing it at some point in the future, that’s up to them and they live with the consequences, I mean, we all do. But people either like it and want to buy it, or they don’t.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
From an interview with Jim Kerr over at SDE today:

SDE: I remember when the ‘Sparkle in the Rain’ reissue came out. Steven Wilson created a great 5.1 surround mix, and given the kind of widescreen, cinematic nature of ‘Street Fighting Years’, was there ever any discussions about maybe doing a surround mix of the record?

JK:
Honestly, without putting the blame on anyone, it is our catalogue, but it’s not. If Universal [Music] want to invest in that stuff, they do, if they don’t, they don’t. I mean it’s theirs to do that stuff and sometimes they do it, as you say. What can we do? We can either sit and say, well, we want fuck all to do with this, this stuff. Or else we say, alright, if you’re going to do it, then let us get involved to whatever degree we can. But if they don’t see the logic in doing that just now, or have some vision of doing it at some point in the future, that’s up to them and they live with the consequences, I mean, we all do. But people either like it and want to buy it, or they don’t.
I was getting ready to just post the same thing exactly the way you did. Great minds think alike.
I found Jim Kerr's answer to the question probably the best answer I have ever heard as to why or why not anything gets released at all let alone a surround version. I'm still gonna buy it as it is my favorite.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
4 CD's. It does not like anything has been remastered at least according to the liner notes.
CD 1 Street Fighting Years, has DR values of 8's, 9's and 10's. My original CD has DR values of 11's, 12's and 13's. You can definitely notice with the louder volume of the new disc.
The Disc 2, Edits, B Sides, and remixes, are OK.
Disc 3 & 4 Live Verona, Italy great music and great CD sound.
Box same size as the previous boxes, nice poster and book with good info.
Only for the die hard Simple Mind fan, but the live set is the star of the show with great stereo sound stage. The audience is recessed and does not distract from the main band audio.
Huge disappointment of course with the lack of 5.1, but that's the way it is.

Beefalo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
4 CD's. It does not like anything has been remastered at least according to the liner notes.
CD 1 Street Fighting Years, has DR values of 8's, 9's and 10's. My original CD has DR values of 11's, 12's and 13's. You can definitely notice with the louder volume of the new disc.
The Disc 2, Edits, B Sides, and remixes, are OK.
Disc 3 & 4 Live Verona, Italy great music and great CD sound.
Box same size as the previous boxes, nice poster and book with good info.
Only for the die hard Simple Mind fan, but the live set is the star of the show with great stereo sound stage. The audience is recessed and does not distract from the main band audio.
Huge disappointment of course with the lack of 5.1, but that's the way it is.
I hope it sells well and promotes the release of more Simple Minds material. Such a great group !

cbmmm3

thanks for the review. a huge miss by the label - this would have been incredible in surround

Group builder