Simply random stuff

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
happy-victoria-day-lettering.jpg

Wasn’t really sure where to post this.
Did a little weekend trip to Ottawa, Ontario and was checking out some used record stores.

Nice to see stuff like this in these places. Also had a small selection of DVD-A and Stereo SACD’s, even a DTS-CD.

View attachment 91742
Would love to have access to a place like that here in the US!

The classic Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates & amp sound

I found out with some quick online research (not Gospel as he's always been a tricky Hombre) that Billy uses nearly all his guitars spec'd out by Seymore Duncan pickups to sound like his beloved '59 Les Paul, Pearly Gates. The original pickups are PAF overwound Humbuckers.

Not only that but he uses a complicated rig live, consisting of a couple of EQ setups to further match that tone and ballsy tone. A sample EQ of a Pearly Gates G chord (open or closed ???) is feed through another EQ post feed, that has the settings displayed below-

BFG PG TONE EQ.jpg

also, on stage he's said to run bi-amped through some Marshalls and Magnatone amps.

additionally for recording purposes, they'll run his signal clean, and later model the sound however they seem fit for the piece of music at hand.

simply - BALLSY!!!

The classic Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates & amp sound

I found out with some quick online research (not Gospel as he's always been a tricky Hombre) that Billy uses nearly all his guitars spec'd out by Seymore Duncan pickups to sound like his beloved '59 Les Paul, Pearly Gates. The original pickups are PAF overwound Humbuckers.

Not only that but he uses a complicated rig live, consisting of a couple of EQ setups to further match that tone and ballsy tone. A sample EQ of a Pearly Gates G chord (open or closed ???) is feed through another EQ post feed, that has the settings displayed below-

View attachment 91770

also, on stage he's said to run bi-amped through some Marshalls and Magnatone amps.

additionally for recording purposes, they'll run his signal clean, and later model the sound however they seem fit for the piece of music at hand.

simply - BALLSY!!!
I think he also uses some delay to widen/deepen his guitar sound, there always seems to be more than one guitar, and they're not overdubs when live. Some friends had a ZZTop tribute band (actually endorsed by Billy Gibbons & ZZ Top!!) and I road tested some of their recordings, and pointed out the lack of delayed guitar. It sounded flat, added a delayed guitar and it sounded much more ZZ Top like - GB told them it was just his speaker cabinet, but the delay was too great for just that!
Edit: Sadly Nick the guitarist had a very bad stroke and passed away, so their band ZZTops is no more

I think he also uses some delay to widen/deepen his guitar sound, there always seems to be more than one guitar, and they're not overdubs when live. Some friends had a ZZTop tribute band (actually endorsed by Billy Gibbons & ZZ Top!!) and I road tested some of their recordings, and pointed out the lack of delayed guitar. It sounded flat, added a delayed guitar and it sounded much more ZZ Top like - GB told them it was just his speaker cabinet, but the delay was too great for just that!
Edit: Sadly Nick the guitarist had a very bad stroke and passed away, so their band ZZTops is no more
Way back when, maybe the 80's not sure exactly, he also had a stack of 6 Bixonic Expandora pedals hooked up in series; never really sure if it was just for looks or if he actually used it for something. :unsure:

Way back when, maybe the 80's not sure exactly, he also had a stack of 6 Bixonic Expandora pedals hooked up in series; never really sure if it was just for looks or if he actually used it for something. :unsure:
He does have a very unique guitar sound, but 6 active at the same time :unsure: they are shiny!

He does have a very unique guitar sound, but 6 active at the same time :unsure: they are shiny!

Sounds more like something from Spinal Tap. ;)

When I read that I immediately thought of Rick Nielsen's 5 neck guitar. LOL

Back