Sony Blu-ray Music Survey

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix E. Martinez

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Of interest. Several questions probe the desire for hi-res, surround sound audio, and at least one question asks about the use of an SACD/DVD-Audio player.

Of interest. Several questions probe the desire for hi-res, surround sound audio, and at least one question asks about the use of an SACD/DVD-Audio player.

After filling out the entire survey and submitting - I rec'd a message stating that they could not process my entry because the server was down for "routine maintenance." Thanks for the link though - pretty interesting survey - although I remain sceptical that we will ever see discrete surround material again from SonyBMG - hope that I am wrong!

Not seen any hi-rez or sacd or dvda reference at all anywhere. They changed the survey?

I answered "yes" to the first question about working in the music, television or movie industry and it took me directly to the contest page. So if you really want to offer your opinion to Sony, don't answer "yes" to the first question.

After filling out the contest page, I, too, received the "down for routine maintenance" message.

J. D.

Never seen any mch reference either... sure we don't have to deal with a different set of questions?

Not seen any hi-rez or sacd or dvda reference at all anywhere. They changed the survey?

I believe the question was: "what do you use more - Blu-ray player or SACD/DVD-Audio player?" or something like that.

There was also one write-in category and I was more than happy to provide my $.02

Ok, the survey is a bit bogus... not because questions are adapted but there's no cookie check. Can enter how many times you want.

I went through the entire thing then got the message "down for routine maintenance" then went back and hit save on the last question answered. I sure hope I don't have to fill out the stupid survey again. I do think it is great that Blu-ray appears to be a product that the industry will promote. Of course if it doesn't start doing better, that will change, but so far at least there is growth and news media coverage and the public knows something about the format. The survey had relevant questions and somebody is trying to do something to get things rolling.

Chris

There was this in regards to Multi's, not much, but better than nothing.. I didn't bother with the contest.

Attachments

• survey.JPG
    survey.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 269
A friend who used an online service to do a survey for their Doctorate used a survey website with strict cookies and you could not do the survey twice.

If there’s no cookie check, I’m not sure if this is more about getting your personal information via the “contest.” But it would be good if there was a way to convey the demand for Hi-Rez music if the record companies would actually listen.

It's bogus & pointless.
You can "enter" it as often as you like.
You also have to be US resident, or it gets to the last page & you cannot continue.
Still - Blu Ray in Europe still does not exist (25p is STILL not even in the bloody specs) so I am not surprised.

ALl anyone will get will be reworked "Concert" type stuff, probably with LPCM stereo if you are lucky, and Dobly for any surround.
Sony seem to be dead set against HD multichannel.

Still - Blu Ray in Europe still does not exist (25p is STILL not even in the bloody specs) so I am not surprised
Not in so much in music, in movies however there is a quickly growing choice in BD titles. Sooner or later the public that is switching over to HD capable TV's will want to use those capabilities.
And who needs 25p with HD? Ye'ole PAL TV will not be of use in HD land, in the longer run we might move from NTSC and PAL to the 720p 1080i 1080p and so on HD standards. BTW BD does support 24p so Hollywood stuff can be viewed in native speed (no more 4% PAL speedup or ugly 3to2 pull down).

I'm sorry to react on the video bit :( I'm afraid you hit the nail about hi-res multi channel

And who needs 25p with HD? Ye'ole PAL TV will not be of use in HD land, in the longer run we might move from NTSC and PAL to the 720p 1080i 1080p and so on HD standards. BTW BD does support 24p so Hollywood stuff can be viewed in native speed (no more 4% PAL speedup or ugly 3to2 pull down).

I'm sorry to react on the video bit :( I'm afraid you hit the nail about hi-res multi channel

Hmmm.
Don't agree here.
My DVD player has different options for 720p/1080i depending on the frequency. (50Hz for PAL, 60Hz for NTSC) And it does *not* detect this automatically, the difference is vast too. 720p/50 gives a different picture to 720p/60.
There is also the problem of motion judder, as all 25p content is automatically pulled in the players (Blu Ray) to 29.97 or 59.94. There is simply no getting away from that fact. Ask Abbey Road Interactive, and even Sonic Professional division in London. BOTH these are saying PAL BluRay is not part of the specs. 25p is unsupported, and most players will have difficulty with 50i as well (although 50i support is increasing)
Further, players that cannot properly deal with 25p/50i don't usually handle 24p that well either. At least, this is what Abbey Road & Sonic tell me.
24p is only a solution if the footage/source material was shot at that speed, as the alternative is again conversion (speeding 25 to 24 usually speeds things up, or if you timeshift will introduce the very artefacts HD is supposed to be unaffected by)

It's still a mess. BD is a sad, sad format.

Well, I never saw a 25p/50i/50p either with HD-DVD. At the time I worked in a consumer electronics shop we had a HD-DVD running with a demo from 2006 FIFA World Championship and it was "encoded" for 30i, with all the artefacts known.
The only 25p/50i/50p I saw is from HDTV satellite and videocameras :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I answered that I worked in the television industry, and I got shunted past the survey only to hit the "website is down" wall. So I used the Email link to tell them what I really thought. For what it's worth.

The Quadfather

I guess that last post made it sound like I told them off. Not really, I just expressed my opinion about surround in a polite way. However, I went back and lied about not working for the television industry. I don't see that that makes any difference anyway. It did have one or two questions about surround in it, and I answered them the way y'all would expect. I expect nothing.

The Quadfather

Back