Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you scroll through this link it lists what a fellow Mac user did:
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/page-21#post-85864
I went straight to SACDExtractGUI, of course. Here's roughly how it went:

1. Started with post #1
  2. Followed the link to post #284
  3. Knew that my mac is an Intel platform, so clicked the Intel/AMD spoiler, downloaded and installed the MacOS files
  4. Installed JRE - post #77
  5. Used one of the screen captures like in post #401 to get the config correct
  6. When it didn't work, found post #320 and applied the terminal command fix
  7. Followed the steps in post #33 (until then I wasn't completely clear that the DVD player's display would be blank)
  8. Woohoo!

I used my little HDMI NUC monitor to hook up to the Sony, just to go into network settings to verify IP address.
So if you have some sort of HDMI TV or monitor handy that should work.
Yes, I have a monitor with HDMI and have it hooked up. That is how I am looking at settings. I'm using the IP address the Sony so nicely shows me but it gives no port number. Neither does my Airport Extreme - only IP. The examples I see here and Hifi Haven all are using 2002 for the port.

Yes, I have a monitor with HDMI and have it hooked up. That is how I am looking at settings. I'm using the IP address the Sony so nicely shows me but it gives no port number. Neither does my Airport Extreme - only IP. The examples I see here and Hifi Haven all are using 2002 for the port.
Yes so I see.
Need to look further into this.

Have you confirmed the thumb drive opens the 5100 drawer?

Even a server "ping" test using SACDExtractGUI seems to work fine and finishes with a [DONE]. But clicking the TEST button for server produces: [FAILURE] Port 2002 of 10.0.1.76 is inaccessible.

The 5100 is direct ethernet wired and the same for my iMac. I haven't tried this with my Macbook.
Humm
I wonder if it's worth trying this with your MacBook?

I'm still reading through various pages on HI Fi Haven..
This is why I instigated this thread to condense the instructions
Looks like it needs an up date for Mac users.

I can also recommend reaching out to Mickey Fresh, who is the moderator over on HIFIHaven , a very nice, helpful man.

I'm just thinking the same thing. It is a small but newer MacBook with only the USB C port. But it is already working well on my network via wireless. I'll transfer the software to it and give it a try. Thanks.

I'm just thinking the same thing. It is a small but newer MacBook with only the USB C port. But it is already working well on my network via wireless. I'll transfer the software to it and give it a try. Thanks.
Is everything the same as regards to software etc for the iMac and your MacBook?

BTW, the attachment also shows the folder tree structure of the thumb drive and the software. I don't know when or how the "buda" folder got on the thumb drive. I'm fairly sure it wasn't there when I first put the Autoscript files on there.
Need to re-look at your thumb drive, got stuff there that will cause a problem.
I would delete everything that is not related to the autoscript folder.

I'm not sure by SACD_ripper's message whether he means that I should not turn the Sony back on OR that he thought I was not turning it back on and that I SHOULD turn it back on. I hope I haven't just confused things again but I HAVE been turning the Sony back on then hitting Execute and I get the failure.

With either ISO2DSD, or SACDExtractGUI, the method described in this thread is called the "sleep server" method, because you use the OFF button to put the machine to sleep.
This can only be achieved if you had first done the initial set-up in the Sony's on-screen displayed menus, whereby you have enabled Quick Start mode on the unit. You can't actually enter sleep mode unless you had already enabled the S5100's Quick Start mode in it's menu system.
You DO NOT turn the machine back on, nor do you toggle the stereo/multichannel setting (that's a different method called "awake server"). If you have Quick Start enabled, and you close the disc tray using the OFF button, and your pen drive is properly arranged (looks good in your screen shot), then away you go.
Do not attempt repeated insertion/removal of the pen drive after failed attempts, that will not work, you have to start fresh by removing and replacing the AC cord, allow the unit to go through its boot up sequence, and then watch the display go dark again. Now turn it ON, place a disc in the tray, and close it with the OFF button. Execute the rip.

Last edited:
Need to re-look at your thumb drive, got stuff there that will cause a problem.
I would delete everything that is not related to the autoscript folder.

This is good advice although the BUDA folder will not hurt anything and it is written (and rewritten) to the pen drive by the Sony player. It is used for something entirely unrelated to ripping (BD-Live) but it actually won't kill the ripping process.

But, any other garbage on the pen drive is best removed.

Last edited:
This is good advice although the BUDA folder will not hurt anything and it is written (and rewritten) to the pen drive by the Sony player. It is used for something entirely unrelated to ripping (BD-Live) but it actually won't kill the ripping process.

That said, any other garbage on the pen drive is best removed.
Yes I was following Mickeys's post:

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/post-91317
It just eliminates any other possibilities.

Back