Sony SQD-2070 Decoder. What's the story on these?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compare against:

Doorstop, regular stereo with 4 speakers attached, almost as good as Dynaquad............do you get the picture? ;)

I guess in giving it a LOT of leeway.........there might be something worse.....Marantz's SQ module comes to mind......but not many.

Unfortunately the 2070 doesn't even have the 4 cool vu meters of the 2020. Separation is in the range of 12db max...........just enough that you do hear "the main" instruments for each channel riding over the total interchannel blending.

If you're just absolutely cash strapped, it might be better than nothing......but not by much. Look for a Lafayette SQ-W for the best "vintage" SQ decoder. Or move up to the big time with a Space & Image Composer or TATE II.

Good luck!

I have a Lafayette SQ-L.... I bought it off Tab last year. It pumps quite often and I'm beginning to get annoyed with it. Though it does much better than the onboard SQ decoder in my QX-9900.
Guess I'll just ignore the 2070 if it's really that bad! And save up for an SQ-W or SQD-2020.

Thanks ;)

Guess I'll just ignore the 2070 if it's really that bad! And save up for an SQ-W or SQD-2020.

With an SQ-L already on-hand, the SQ-W, S&IC or TATE II would be the only improvements. The 2020 decoding wise really isn't any better than the 2070...........just looks nicer! :cool:

As to the "pumping" issue..............they ALL can do that, the S&IC is probably the least prone to noteable pumping.

If you want "natural" sounding decoding without pumping you have to go Vario-Matrix.........but SQ decoding through a VM decoder is on par with your SQ-L...........no pumping though!

Good luck! :D

Q-Eight said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3050147625&category=3284

It says Full Logic. How good are these li'l boxes? What do they compare against?

I bought one of these new and have used it off and on for about thirty years. Even though the unit is "Full - Logic" it seems to me that the separation is not all that good. Logic pumping is noticeable on some sources. Some individuals are more bothered by the pumping than others. Audible pumping annoys me to the point that my preference is to use a non - logic SQ decoder over the 2070.

I get my best results playing SQ records and tapes when using the Circle Surround decoder built into my receiver. It can not steer the back channels to their proper position but it does allow for an enveloping sound field that is all but free of pumping distortions.

tcdriver

For the record the 2070 uses wave-form type logic.... an intermediate step between the early "full logic" and the later "full logic" units.

With quad goodies "full logic" is a meaningless term akin to the term "natural" seen in countless ads.

Heckaroni...... everything is composed of molecules and atoms so everything is "natural"!!!!!!

The term full-logic was variable and time dependent. What was full-logic one year or model run was mere partial-logic when improved decoding circuitry was created and released.

Hello all
I bought the Sony SQD-2070 on Ebay. And yes I am a Brit.
I already have a Sony SQD-2020. Which, bye the way, I have owned since new (sometime in the early seventies- now you know how old I am).
I have not tried the 2070 yet, but I need to service the 2020. When it is connected I will let you know how good (or bad) it is. The 2070 is based on three ic's. A basic decoder chip, a F/B and W/M logic chip and gain control chip.
I am trying to obtain an SQD-2010, I believe this, although cosmetically the same as the 2020, Also uses ic's. Does anyone have information on the 2010?
Best regards
Jeff

jeffhughes said:
Hello all
I bought the Sony SQD-2070 on Ebay. And yes I am a Brit.
I already have a Sony SQD-2020. Which, bye the way, I have owned since new (sometime in the early seventies- now you know how old I am).
I have not tried the 2070 yet, but I need to service the 2020. When it is connected I will let you know how good (or bad) it is. The 2070 is based on three ic's. A basic decoder chip, a F/B and W/M logic chip and gain control chip.
I am trying to obtain an SQD-2010, I believe this, although cosmetically the same as the 2020, Also uses ic's. Does anyone have information on the 2010?
Best regards
Jeff

Jeff,

the SQD-2010 ist basically the same model as the 2020 but it came out in the late 70's. It features better IC's so the seperation is slightly better than with the 2020. It is supposed to be the "best" SQ-decorder apart from the super-decoders like the tate...

Michael

The best decoder prior to the super Tates was unquestionably the Lafayette SQ-W. A "full wave matching logic with variable blend" unit that definitely made it clear that you were listening to quad. Depending on the mix, it made some albums sound very discrete with very little pumping. It is still the best non super decoder for separation.
I also have a 2010. It is not a bad unit. Better than the 2020 and 2070 I think. Smoother, more musical and less pumping. Great looking unit too. I loved those 4 channel meters! But when the mix was active on more than 2 channels, the sep blended down to the basic 3-7 dbs. But that is better than pumping to my ears!
According to the users manual, the 2010 uses ICs instead of the discrete components of the 2020. The last page listed the unit's specs and it has little pieces of paper glued over the original separation figures! Hold it up to the light and you see the original sep specs. (For the 2020??) As I remember, it sacrificed a few dbs in lateral F-B for an increase across the rear R-L. Gotta check that. It's been a few years. I still have the unit in its box in my closet. Think it's time to give it a listen again. From time to time I still swap out my Audionics Tate unit for the SQ-W. Though not as discrete as the Tate, the SQ-W still holds its own even with active SQ mixes. To my ears, the best "vintage" SQ decoder.
My ranking would be:
1. The Tates
2. Lafayette SQ-W
3. Sony SQD 2010
4. Lafayette SQ-L
5. Sansui QSD-2 on SQ decode

Back