Dual Disc Sony - The best and worst of DualDisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ClarkNovak said:
I did get the Los Lonely Boys Dualdisc... dunno, but I think the surround mixes sound pretty good. I dumped them to WAV and analyzed them in Audition, and they look fairly discrete to me...

Clark

I bought it too.... I was pretty disappointed. It really sounds like there is only faint ambience in the rears thoughout the whole disc. They sound bigger than the stereo mix but I was really hoping for something a little more than reverb.

ClarkNovak said:
I was happy when I found the Avril Lavigne Dualdisc... and immediately extremely frustrated to see that it was only "enhanced stereo" on the DVD side. What the hell does that mean, anyway? "Enhanced Stereo." That's kind of like "connoisseur's popcorn." Means nothing. Grrr.

Clark

So what is meant by Enhanced Stereo? Did they add ambience to the Rear Channels of a Stereo mix? Or run the mix through one of those circuits used on Stereo TV sets?

I think they just mean it's 16/48! UGH! What a waste.

Brian, have you heard ANYTHING about these surround titles coming out as SACDs?

Bob Romano said:
I bought it too.... I was pretty disappointed. It really sounds like there is only faint ambience in the rears thoughout the whole disc. They sound bigger than the stereo mix but I was really hoping for something a little more than reverb.

I bought Los lonely boys also, and the surround mix STINKS. Just stereo with a little reverb in the rears. NOT what i would call surround. If i didn't know bettter i would have thought Silverline made this surround mix, but it comes from Sony BMG. I prefer to listen to it in stereo. I should have just bought the redbook CD, as the Dualdisc {may or maynot} hurt our hardware over the months - years. If i am going to buy these Dualdiscs for the surround, i would appreciate a surround mix, or maybe we have another company trying to top Silverline in the "stunning surround" mixes????

MIDIQ said:
I bought Los lonely boys also, and the surround mix STINKS. Just stereo with a little reverb in the rears. NOT what i would call surround. If i didn't know bettter i would have thought Silverline made this surround mix, but it comes from Sony BMG. I prefer to listen to it in stereo. I should have just bought the redbook CD, as the Dualdisc {may or maynot} hurt our hardware over the months - years. If i am going to buy these Dualdiscs for the surround, i would appreciate a surround mix, or maybe we have another company trying to top Silverline in the "stunning surround" mixes????

I've sneered at Silverline in the past but they are the only ones who have been consistent about putting hi-res MCH tracks on all their DualDiscs.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
I've sneered at Silverline in the past but they are the only ones who have been consistent about putting hi-res MCH tracks on all their DualDiscs.

Kal

Yes, we must give credit where credit is due. At least all Silverlines are DVD-A on the DVD side.

I think Dualdisc should have a separate board given the fact that all aren't DVD-A. Obviously, Sony is the one trying to confuse the customers by creating these mediocre Dualdisc releases. Their discs simply have no purpose. Some websites have them listed as Hi Res. Look at the confusing review of the 5 Browns Dualdisc at www.musictap.net. These reviewers have no clue that a Dualdisc can be a CD plus DVD-V only.

http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/5Browns5BrownsCD.htm

Sony have been paired regular CDs with a separated DVD-V disc for a long time. Why then using Dualdisc when they were the first to alarm people of the problems with Dualdisc on some players? To me this is only a plot from Sony to confuse customers and destroy the DVD-A camp.

I guess they could destroy the DVD-A camp seeing as how they already pretty much destroyed the SA-CD one as well and that was their baby!

Kal Rubinson said:

Kal

Yes, there's a certain irony there - given how much heat they received over some of their DVD-A releases.

It's also a question of what one considers hi rez. Even on the Dual Discs with DVD-A tracks, not all feature 24/96 resolution.

Kris Deering said:
I guess they could destroy the DVD-A camp seeing as how they already pretty much destroyed the SA-CD one as well and that was their baby!

Agree 100%.

Both formats have stalled. Maybe was the fact of the RIAA latest numbers regarding SACD & DVD-A weren't good but the SACD growth was going down creating a negative impression vs the DVD-A.

Kal Rubinson said:

Kal

Yes i will have to agree i have a few Silverline titles that are good to great !! Thanks to the fine folks on this forum, letting others know which are good. It's just that thet are soooo inconsistant. I bought Motorhead - Ace of spades and loved it so much i immediately bought the Overkill, which was the worst DVD-A i have ever heard, same band same label. What the heck happened? I just hope we get some decent surround releases on Dualdisc if it has to be that format. I would much rather prefer SACD or DVD-A. But I'll buy any format if it is in surround. :)

Back