Sony UBP-X1100 Tech Help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdhpe

I have a new Sony UBP-x1100 player and an older Panasonic Blu-ray player. I am having a problem with just one disc. (Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac - 5.1 DVD surround review) The Sony does not allow the options to be selected while the Panasonic does. See attached files. I spent a lot of time with Sony tech support and they didn't know. A friend said it was an issue with something called paging (sp?) Appreciate any help. Notice the brackets on the Panasonic display

Attachments

• Panasonic.jpg
    Panasonic.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Sony.jpg
    Sony.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 110
One ‘workaround’ would be to rip the DVDV (5.1 DD) with MakeMKV (free) and play the MKV file (if your Sony will play MKV files - if not convert the MKV to 5.1 FLAC using Music Media Helper, also free, and play the FLAC files or burn the FLACs to a DVDV ISO image using Audiomuxer (free) and burn to a DVD disc, play the DVD.

There is a setting on the 1100 that allows the choice of the DVD-A layer versus ONLY seeing the DVD as a "regular" DVD-video disc. Since you mentioned "new", it seems likely you've not obsessed over EVERY setting ... as I have (continue to do) :-D

Thanks for the reply. I tried switching that setting with the same result. When it boots, I can get the menu options to show by pushing the "top menu" button on the remote. I've discovered a few more discs that have this issue. I bought a new Denon receiver to go with the player, and I'm wondering if there could be some issues with it. I pulled the Sony to another system and it works fine with that disc. I took the player back to the retail store and it worked fine there, but I realized they didn't hook it up to a Denon receiver. I'm not smart enough to know what the correct settings should be. Calling Sony and the Denon seems like a dance I am getting tired of........

Ahhhh ... you might also use the pop up menu button ... us olds remember it as little windows of info, but the newer usage seems to be a pseudo replacement for the top/root menu. It seems to be fashionable(?) or maybe a memory saver to remove the top menu & just use pop ups.
I would eat the hole in my sock if connecting it to Denon/non-Sony receiver actually made a difference🤯 ... that would mean that the receiver is interfering with the player programming. I’m not sure that that sort of information goes back up. Please let me know if you can reliably replicate that & you’ll get a video. 🤓

Back