Soundgarden Superunknown box set coming with 5.1 mix on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the Soundgarden list, so I received the info on this yesterday, was hoping there'd be a 5.1 version, Blu-Ray to boot!

Definitely getting this, expecting near $100 price, which was what the Special Edition King Animal box set was released at (though no 5.1).

Have not heard anyhting as to preorder, Amazon has nothing on this, nor does the Soundagrden site.

I don't care what the price is, that 5.1 mix is MINE!!!!

Great to see a brand new mix of a 90s title that represents a truly popular record coming out in 2014, was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see it happen outside the chance of Mr. Wilson and an indie label doing it. UMe have missed the mark completely iwth their HFPA titles, so this announcement puts a hugeass grin on my face.

Will likely pick up the 200g 2LP set as well but it was reading the 5.1 part of the announcement that made me pee myself a little.

Until now I've always wondered who really wants these huge box sets. Now I know! As soon as I saw this I immediately wanted it, and like you am strongly considering getting the LP set as well.

5.1 Soundgarden sounds almost too good to be true. It is releasing on my birthday, so I guess this year will be one to remember!

Until now I've always wondered who really wants these huge box sets. Now I know! As soon as I saw this I immediately wanted it, and like you am strongly considering getting the LP set as well.

5.1 Soundgarden sounds almost too good to be true. It is releasing on my birthday, so I guess this year will be one to remember!

Gemini foreveeeeer.
Mine is three days later and when I first heard about it I knew what my birthday present will be this year. :)

Hmmm - it would be good to know who's mixed it in 5.1....any word?

I was also thrilled to hear this news, but will have to hold out for either a cheaper used copy or a single-blu-ray release....and that is only if the mix is actually good ;)

Ok so who did the 5.1 mix ??

That is what I would like to know - although this does look very tempting I seem to remember it being everywhere all at once & I got very bored with it.
I'll dig the CD out but if it's a good 5.1, I am in regardless of cost - which is why they make us pay for these editions I guess. They know we will pucker up.

Nice! I can't think of a better reason to treat yourself regardless of price, haha.

That is what I would like to know - although this does look very tempting I seem to remember it being everywhere all at once & I got very bored with it.
I'll dig the CD out but if it's a good 5.1, I am in regardless of cost - which is why they make us pay for these editions I guess. They know we will pucker up.

RE: the bolded - are you saying you've already heard the 5.1 mix or are you saying the actual songs themselves from the original CD were all over the place?

Holy $#@%!! I don't log in for a week because of Internet troubles... And miss some REALLY big news! Very excited!

Also very, very happy to see they're including the bonus song "She likes Surprises", which was originally only available on the Japanese version of the album, on both the CD and Blu Ray. Although the BluRay has a 12" mix of it, so it will be interesting to hear that. I'll check if I can find that mix on Youtube.

Of course, the box is overkill as usual. CDs 1 and 2 sound very interesting, while the other ones are just too much. I'll get the 2-disc version and then see if I can find the BluRay by other means...

Nice! I can't think of a better reason to treat yourself regardless of price, haha.

RE: the bolded - are you saying you've already heard the 5.1 mix or are you saying the actual songs themselves from the original CD were all over the place?

AT the time of release it was all over the place.
Had no clue the 5.1 existed until yesterday.

Well the pre-orders are up and as we might have guessed the official pre-order prices are bloody expensive, $55 for the 2LP vinyl!!!! $100 for the Super Deluxe set, only $35 more and you can get a hoodie and a t-shirt.

The good news is that in the description for the Super Deluxe set it states we get the 5.1 album as 24/96 high resolution but also a high resolution 2.0 mix.

The vinyl states it will include 320 Kbps "vinyl ripped" .mp3 files, why not flacs if you're going to all that trouble? Why not flacs of the vinyl master instead of a needle drop? I shake my head at thee! Or include both.

Any pre-order includes an immediate digital download of the remastered album. I'm almost tempted to drop $27 on the CD just to get the download and see whether it's going to be SUH-LAMMED to pieces or not compared to the original.

Still no word on who did the remastering, what source material was used or who did the 5.1 mix, hopefully we can get these questions answered soon enough, and hopefully Amazon has much better pricing on this. I mean, you can buy 2LP 45rpm all analogue MOFI vinyl for $15 less than this Soundgarden offering.

Amazon only have the vinyl up for pre-order (http://www.amazon.com/Superunknown-Soundgarden/dp/B00IW4SCWE) so far but it's almost 20% cheaper than the pre-order site and Free Shipping vs. the $10 standard US shipping. That would put the 5-disc set at around $79, hopefully it's even cheaper than that.

EDIT - actually that says "Superunknown [Single]", lol. Does it come with a quick one off the wrist for $45?

This IS Universal Music still, so there's a chance me might get an HFPA release at a later date.

Place holder for the 5-disc set - http://www.amazon.com/Superunknown-Anniversary-Super-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B00IXLQJOO

Over $100? Count me OUT!

As much as I'd really love to hear this mix, I can't keep doing this to myself where I buy a gigantic box set just for the surround mix.
If it goes to $75, then I'll start to consider it again...

I'm counting on there being plenty of people who will want all the bonus b-sides, live stuff, out-takes, whatever is on those other 3CDs (discs 2~4) and the 80-page booklet at a good deal, so I can buy the deluxe set on Amazon for a little bit less, take the Blu-ray out and sell it as the 4-disc Super Deluxe box set for $49, then hopefully I'll only have paid around $30 for the Blu-ray which I'm much more comfortable with.

Not that $108 is a price to "jump on" given that it's more than the Soundgarden pre-sale price is, but I pre-ordered anyway just in case there's a big price drop even for 1 hour between now and the release date, then I'm on it with the price guarantee.

Back