HiRez Poll Spinners, The - SPINNERS [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Spinners - SPINNERS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I gave it an 8, I thought about going with a 7 due to the channel balance
problems but decided to hang in with the 8. I love much of the music and the recording
as to SQ was well done for a old 70s analog tape recording.
Wish my Audicity skills were good enough to know how to properly repair the channel issues.

I listened to this last week and the again recently. At first I had my Space and Image Composer on from a previous listening session, I was hearing the front channels decoded and thought that this is a rather strange mix it seems to be missing something. The fact that it sounded discrete is just another testimony to just how well the Composer works!

Getting back to proper "discrete" listening, surround wise the mix is excellent a ten for that! I like the base and drums in the rear, that was done a lot back then and for good reason. Q8's played in the car sounded best with the bass coming from the rear mounted 6x9 inch speakers rather than from the smaller door speakers. Subwoofers in vehicles were not yet common. I did feel that there was a bit too much bass, it sounded better with the bass backed off a bit. Actually set about flat, I normally run with a slight bass boost.

As for overall sound quality a seven. It has a sound character that I'm sure is just part of the Spinner's "Funk, Soul" sound. Sort of muddy and raspy at the same time.

As for content, I'm not a Spinners fan although in the dying days of Quad at a time when Larry Clifton in an editorial lamented that we were "hunting the last buffalo" I bought a CD-4 copy of "Pick of the Litter". I much prefer this release over that one (I have never really liked Disco). This album has something like four radio hits, which will be familiar to anyone who lived through the seventies.

So averaging the three results I get an eight.

I listened to this last week and the again recently. At first I had my Space and Image Composer on from a previous listening session, I was hearing the front channels decoded and thought that this is a rather strange mix it seems to be missing something. The fact that it sounded discrete is just another testimony to just how well the Composer works!

Getting back to proper "discrete" listening, surround wise the mix is excellent a ten for that! I like the base and drums in the rear, that was done a lot back then and for good reason. Q8's played in the car sounded best with the bass coming from the rear mounted 6x9 inch speakers rather than from the smaller door speakers. Subwoofers in vehicles were not yet common. I did feel that there was a bit too much bass, it sounded better with the bass backed off a bit. Actually set about flat, I normally run with a slight bass boost.

As for overall sound quality a seven. It has a sound character that I'm sure is just part of the Spinner's "Funk, Soul" sound. Sort of muddy and raspy at the same time.

As for content, I'm not a Spinners fan although in the dying days of Quad at a time when Larry Clifton in an editorial lamented that we were "hunting the last buffalo" I bought a CD-4 copy of "Pick of the Litter". I much prefer this release over that one (I have never really liked Disco). This album has something like four radio hits, which will be familiar to anyone who lived through the seventies.

I assume that you’re reviewing the replacement disc? 🤔

Interesting about the Q8 and car speaker position relating to mixing style, I’ve never heard that before.

Have always used four of the same speakers. Even in the car.
The way speakers are now usually mounted in the back doors you can't properly hear them in the front. The rear deck of those old vehicles was a perfect speaker mounting location. The trunk provided enough cabinet space to provide good bass.

A new Poll thread for the Spinners V2 Quadio?

Kirk Bayne
Why a new poll? The defective disc has been replaced, anyone who cast a low vote because of the deficiencies can now change it! I only see one low vote of four anyway! We do not need two polls!

Back