Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to Elvis! I'm developing a real Attraction to his oeuvre!
271B3FE5-1081-41B6-9121-54EB17F6C30B_1_105_c.jpeg
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Armed Forces

Wait. It saved your life? No way can that story be boring!
Yeah, I was thinking I'd like to hear the story. I just sat through 2 episodes of Friend's with my God-daughter. I need to experience something with contant. The story would fill that void that was just created by a vapid sitcom with a painful laughtrack.

Well, @Genious it was high school for me, the first half of my junior year, so i'm not sure how much genuine content you'll find, and there may be more than a dose of vapidness, but let me give it to you in a nutshell, and maybe i'll work it up into something more profound at a later date. Bullet points:
  1. Parents moved the family the summer between my sophomore and junior year of high school
  2. I was just figuring things out in high school. Had been a straight-A student and was starting to get involved in extra-curriculars: sports, drama, writing
  3. Had a girlfriend who was almost as willing as i was (i had made it to third, but was thrown out trying to steal home; i could, however, hit doubles like Pete Rose!)
  4. I attended a diverse school (about 4000 students: 40% Black, 40% white, 20% Hispanic – in the parlance of the day) and the population was middle- and working-class
  5. We moved to an affluent, lily-white town. There may have been five Black kids (out of 2500 students) at the new school, and they were all whiter than i had ever been
  6. I lost touch with my friends and, most devastating, my girlfriend (lost touch indeed!)
  7. I spoke to no one, so angry that we had moved, intent on sabotaging my very existence
  8. Not even music could bring me joy; i barely listened to my albums
  9. I stopped studying and started cutting classes
  10. A little before Thanksgiving, i decided to end it all; thought it would be a nice Christmas present for the family
  11. When i cut classes, i snuck into the library at school. They had magazines, one of which was Rolling Stone
  12. Must have been early December when i read a review of My Aim is True. I can't find the review on the internet without paying for it, but it was killer and written by Greil Marcus
  13. Bought the album as an early Christmas present for myself
  14. I'll save the rest, my reaction to what i heard, for the next installment! Hope it wasn't boring, @gvl_guy !

Last edited:
View attachment 89292
I opened up this record and my late Mother's Canadian citizenship certificate was inside. I have placed quite a few keepsakes in to my records over the years, I think I put that there because they were both issued in June 1966 (what a nerd)
Funny! I found this poem a college professor mentor of mine gave me when my daughter was born, over 26 years ago. I clearly put it in this one because she is a Miracle!
1677970280534.png
Smokey Robinson And The Miracles - Anthology

And suddenly I'm 16 again...
What records were new when you were 16, QQers?
The British invasion happened when I was 16. So The Beatles, Herman’s Hermits, Dave Clark Five, etc. Of course the surf craze was going on then too, so The Beach Boys, Chantays, Dick Dale, Jan & Dean, and The Pyramids were getting lots of top 40 airplay. I’ll keep the music, but wouldn’t want to relive my teens for all the money in the world.

Back