Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 90841
Oh dear, I may have gone overboard this RSD. A Wizard / A True Star spinning now
Well, if you went overboard, then . . .
C09D318F-E49D-43BE-BC39-2B1483516834_1_105_c.jpeg
In addition to these ten, i bought two additional titles that i gifted to young people in line. One of the things i love about RSD is the camaraderie! I arrived at 1:30 and was fourth in line. I was playing cuts from releases on a bluetooth speaker, taking requests and playing releases i hoped to buy. Well, one young lady in front of me was smitten by Tom Tom Club, and she bought it right before it was my turn to place my order. "Hey! What about Dolly Parton," i asked her. "Well, i bought Tom Tom Club instead; I just don't have enough money!" So i bought it for her and surprised her at the register. Another young man, 17th in line, was telling the first guy in line that it was his birthday. He was asking the man, who had arrived at midnight and with whom he had connected on Instagram over the years through their RSD relationship, which two of the three albums he wanted to purchase he should buy, as he could only afford two. The first guy in line told him which one to skip--Nora Jones--and the young man went back to his spot. He looked so bummed that Nora was off his list! After placing my order, I asked if there were any Nora Jones releases left. There was, so i picked it up for him and brought it to him in line after i paid for it, wishing him happy birthday. The young man started to tear up! Said it was a wonderful present and asked me my contact info so he could pay me back. I told him to donate the money, when he got it, to his favo(u)rite charity, at which point, he started to weep and told me he would donate the money to the ACLU to defend the rights of trans youth! I nearly started to cry.

Actually, i did cry when i placed my order. One of the selections I played on the ol' bluetooth was from Sweet Mao, a live performance from a concert in South Africa by Max Roach and Archie Shepp. The first guy in line dug it so much that he added it to his list and bought the only copy! These are the breaks! Four of us in line went out to breakfast afterward. All in all, a beautiful day. I'll find that live performance by Roach and Shepp someday . . . or not! Spin on, comrades!

P.s. Jazz Dispensary Hotel Jolie Dame spinning now . . . through the SM v.2, sounding rilly groovy!

Anyone else like these dudes?
View attachment 90843
DOOD! In high school, for about six months (or a year . . . or a decade . . . ?), i only listened to music from 1967 and was in a continual altered state. A good friend took me aside and suggested i move on, at which point, i only listened to releases from 1968, which felt even better cuz it rhymes with altered state . . . not sure that was what he had in mind! Their debut is killer! I remember "Wade in the Water" as being an out-of-body experience!

Last edited:
DOOD! In high school, for about six months (or a year . . . or a decade . . . ?), i only listened to music from 1967 and was in a continual altered state. A good friend took me aside and suggested i move on, at which point, i only listened to releases from 1968, which felt even better cuz it rhymes with altered state! That debut is killer! I remember "Wade in the Water" as being an out-of-body experience!
How'd I know you'd respond?! :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, man. This record is PHAT.

all kinds of weird stuff, some from Salvation army and others from my sis in law...
sis in law ones.. obscure Spanish kid band on its last incarnation...a really beat up LP, so much so I had to hook up my other TT cause I did not want to risk my Ortofon stylus for it...
https://www.discogs.com/master/1133095-Gaby-Ruben-Javi-Blanca-Javier-Gaby-Ruben-Javi-Blanca-Javier
only one of them but it's the important one with Jimi! really dig the crickets in the background....
My5qcGVn.jpeg

NS00MDQyLmpwZWc.jpeg

and then the Salvation Army 10 inches..this one is a lot of fun and it's not in a bad shape...
https://www.discogs.com/release/1510342-Xavier-Cugat-And-His-Orchestra-Heres-Cugat
and then some Toscanini conducted Schubert...NOT in very good shape but neither has skips...
https://www.discogs.com/release/480...Orchestra-Unfinished-Symphony-No-8-In-B-Minor

Last edited:
Congrats to all who hit record store day!

I put this on again: Analogue Productions pressing. Sounds really good. Someone else here said they always skipped "Cans & Brahms". I used to too, but it's grown on me especially after hearing the backstory. I rather enjoy it now.

This album reminds me how annoyingly IN YOUR FACE most modern vocals are mixed, compared to blending in more with the musical elements, as this does.

fragile.jpg

I drove half hour to Salzer’s Records in Ventura, California. My very first RSD appearance. I showed up two hours after opening and waited in line.

My wants were:

Paul McCartney - Red Rose Speedway

Thin Lizzy - Live And Dangerous

The Police - Every Bomb You Make

Tears For Fears - Saturnine Martial & Lunatic

Duran Duran - Carnival EP

Van Halen - Right Here Right Now

Ted Nugent - Nuge Vault Vol. 1 - Free For All

Tom Tom Club

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes (the B Sides)

They were out of so many records by the time I got there. I thought about the John Lennon release too but I heard that it was so limited that only a few stores received any copies and it was only one or two. Anyway, here are the four I managed to get from my list.

IMG_2446.jpeg

That Tangerine Dream RSD 1978 Paris show lists Froese, Franke, Baumann in the info page:

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/15946
" This release includes the iconic line up of Froese, Franke & Baumann from their most desirable time period."

But I see no Baumann there according to other sources of the recording:

Edgar Froese - keyboards, guitar
Christopher Franke - keyboards, drums
Steve Jolliffe - saxophone, flute
Klaus Krüger - drums, percussion

So many great record store day finds, guys! Great to see that Hal Blaine rereleased. Saturnine, Dolphy and Little B sides by Tori are killer!

Clement, is that a vinyl recreation of the original LP? Bought that as part of the 4 CD box. Bought 4 CD More Nuggets, too.

PG&E Charlie Allen big fan - complete on LP and/or CD. Popped for a Japan CD of PG&E Sony blue cover and a UK expanded CD of Get it On w/9 bonus tracks. Bought the vinyl w/same cover as you, Mike.

spins lately:

Pavane Pour Une Infante - LA4 Japan Direct to Disc

https://www.discogs.com/release/7039708-The-LA-4-Pavane-Pour-Une-Infante-Défunte
Focus con Proby UK LP
Magic of Zamfir
Satie: Velvet Gentleman - Camarata Contemporary Chamber Group
Out of Our Heads - Rolling Stones mono LP
BS&T 2 Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed dbx encoded

So many great record store day finds, guys! Great to see that Hal Blaine rereleased. Saturnine, Dolphy and Little B sides by Tori are killer!

Clement, is that a vinyl recreation of the original LP? Bought that as part of the 4 CD box. Bought 4 CD More Nuggets, too.

PG&E Charlie Allen big fan - complete on LP and/or CD. Popped for a Japan CD of PG&E Sony blue cover and a UK expanded CD of Get it On w/9 bonus tracks. Bought the vinyl w/same cover as you, Mike.

spins lately:

Pavane Pour Une Infante - LA4 Japan Direct to Disc

https://www.discogs.com/release/7039708-The-LA-4-Pavane-Pour-Une-Infante-Défunte
Focus con Proby UK LP
Magic of Zamfir
Satie: Velvet Gentleman - Camarata Contemporary Chamber Group
Out of Our Heads - Rolling Stones mono LP
BS&T 2 Direct Disc Labs 1/2 speed dbx encoded
Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 8.03.06 AM.png

Back