Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the pilgrimage to my local vinyl purveyor, Tim at Squeezebox, who told me, "In my experience, if it doesn't state AAA, there is digital in the chain. But that's not a terrible thing–the proof is in the pudding as to how each pressing sounds, regardless of a digital step. And Rundgren sounds great to me, too!" Or something along those lines! And since i was there, i picked up a few more goodies! This one has me jumping . . . ever so lightly so as not to rock the deck!
FC08FB32-D568-4489-80C2-B0E5363411F4_1_105_c.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/215...-Black-Musical-Expression-In-The-UK-1973-2006https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/sjr/product/life-between-islands

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm a JA/JS completist. Don't believe that I ever owned vinyl of this. Did buy the CD as a new release. Mixed bag musically. No Way Out is my fave track here. Released as a single. Layin' it on the Line was the bigger hit single here. Album as a whole, 7 or 8 for music & fidelity. Though not their best, a worthwhile album, even for JS novices. How quiet is that mid-80's US vinyl, Mike?

Kooper's first solo album. Released in '68, on the heels of Super Session. Some have horn arrangements, though not all BS&T-ish. Easily 10 for music. 8 or 9 (for 1968) for fidelity

Have owned new release vinyl upon release, promo vinyl and Japan CD. Kooper signed my Japan CD's of this, You Never Know, and Easy Does It. He was also gracious enough to sign my US CBS Mastersound Gold CD of Child is Father (more mono demos than expanded CD), and remixed US CD of Super Session.

Best tracks, IMHO: title track, covers of Traffic's Coloured Rain w/Don Ellis Orchestra and Nilsson's One, I Can Love a Woman, and Song and Dance for Unborn, Frightened Child. Darlene Love & the Blossoms provide backup vocals.

One of my favorite and most played albums. No small compliment in that there are over 20,000 of them to choose from. If you like Kooper, you NEED it!

Al Kooper UK og pressing, another great album

View attachment 86038

I've just heard of the death on Tuesday of Jet Black drummer for the Stranglers so I thought I'd play some vinyl. I saw the Stranglers live in October 1977 in Dunstable. I seem to have 2 copies of 'Rattus', I'm playing the less battered one which is my original copy with a free single "Peasant In The Big Shitty" (not pictured) included. RIP Jet:(

20221208_201626.jpg

Last edited:
I am disappointed that Young's 50th Anniversary Box for Harvest does not include a physical copy of the Atmos mix or at least a corrected copy of the 5.1 mix. I am also thrilled to hear this classic sounding much better than my thoroughly worn vinyl copy!

I have 3 pressings of the great album already and the 5.1 but if
this did drop down in price enough down the road ............... well :unsure:

Blind date, first listen.
JS fans, or critics: thoughts?
View attachment 86055
I have heard this album only once. My dad owns it and as I was growing up I listened to call 1500 or so of his albums. I remember really liking "Layin' on the Line". "No Way Out" not as much. I liked it okay. I don't think I ever realized Peter Wolf wrote "No Way Out".

I have no memory of the rest of the album.

I didn’t think anyone would actually purchase this one.
It's hilarious (sleighs me!). Bought it as a gift for my DJ friend (Evil Vince!) who livestreamspins every Friday on twitch. He came over today to install a new cartridge on my turntable, and i gave it to him as a gift/thank you so he can spin it on his yearly Christmas extravaganza-spin session (he won't take any money–he's happy i'm getting back into vinyl)! He was MOST appreciative!
Stay Surrounded Comrade!
EDIT: actually, having typed the above, the memory of that day is returning to me. I was third in line. I played this Cheech & Chong bit on a bluetooth speaker i brought along. I also played the whole Jaco Pastorius Truth, Liberty & Soul concert whilst We all waited for the store to open. About a week later, when i returned to
Squeezebox to redeem the 20% off coupon i received for making a RSD purchase, Tim told me he was really surprised that all 5 copies of Cheech & Chong and all 8 copies of Jaco Pastorius sold to the first 5 and 8 customers respectively! I told him i had played both in line, and he surmised that did the trick!

Last edited:
Back