Stephen Stills DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well. Welcome back to 2010.....................

(I'm keeping my preorder anyway, as the album is a keeper and the DVD may be interesting at best)

In a slightly different direction... I have been wondering... When was the last Warner/Rhino DVD-A from the United Kingdom?

Did Rhino UK even do much DVD-Audio?

They did release the Talking Heads albums as 2 disc sets (CD + DVD-A) instead of DualDisc, God bless them :)

It gets worse, still. It is no longer described as a new release but as an audio cd with release date of 31jan 2010. Did Rhino ever release a 2 cd version of this album?

Here's another interesting tidbit. Allmusic.com has a reference to a 2010 "CD/DVDA" version of the album. It even lists a catalog # of 8122797988.

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything else. I can only assume that Allmusic.com got their info from the same place that Amazon UK, Amazon.de, and Play.com got their info from. I just wish Amazon UK hadn't changed their description, since now I'm not sure what to expect.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/stephen-stills-cddvda-r1952363

EMI reelased some of those albums. It's a crazy world, I thinkl I picked all of those up in teh end for around £5 each

Just checked my Talking Heads DVD-A collection and you are right!
The last three were on EMI, they must have changed labels overseas after Speaking in Tongues.

Got all of mine from Amazon UK, in the £5 range too.
Beats having them on DualDisc.

Beats having them on DualDisc.

What do you mean? ;) DualDisc is the best! I can't wait for the glue that holds 'em together to come undone. Then I, too, will have separate CD and DVD-A versions. Or something kind of like that, anyway.

What do you mean? ;) DualDisc is the best! I can't wait for the glue that holds 'em together to come undone. Then I, too, will have separate CD and DVD-A versions. Or something kind of like that, anyway.

Haha!
I love mine. Never had any problems playing them, except in one player I could only play the DVD-A side on most of them and didn't care, as long as it was that side.

Haha!
I love mine. Never had any problems playing them, except in one player I could only play the DVD-A side on most of them and didn't care, as long as it was that side.

I remember myself and others being scared shitless of playing those things on a Discman (back when people actually had those things....thank you, Steve Jobs) and wondering as to damage to both sides. I also remember people not even knowing what was on the other side of those things.

Still, though, the idea of offerring more while still having an efficient and less wasteful package was a good one.

Haha!

That's a good point.
My preference for DVD-A is not based on any technical issues I've experienced.
I only have 2 or 3 DD's (no other option available so I had no choice) and they work just fine.
But I've read enough stories to the contrary to make me a little gun shy, plus I thought the format was redundant.

Hey guys, is there any confirmation of what audio formats they are putting on this disc?

I don't think we've seen much of anything concrete; though, in another thread there is mention of a blog that said it would be 5.1 and have DVD-Audio---at an unspecified frequency/bitrate. But I don't know how accurate any of this is seeing as how Amazon UK dropped the "+dvda" part from their description and now it just says "+DVD". (Or at least that's what it was the last time I checked.) Still... I'm hoping for some hi-rez 5.1, though!

Here's the other thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?13630-Stephen-Stills-DVD-A

Thanks for the link. Unless the licence for DVD-Audio has run out for labels, there's no reason not to have this as DVD-A, especially since there are still many unreleased titles ready to go. The record companies fail to communicate with their most loyal costumers who want to BUY music. It's no wonder the music business is so messed up. Screw them. They're trying to kill off DVD-A and force Blu-ray on us as if we only need/want one format. That might be ok, except we don't get any music titles there on BR either and the authoring expenses are prohibitive at this point. We'll have to see by November 8th, 2010 what this is or is not. But confusing or pissing off one of it's growing markets is no way to do business IMHO.

Second Disc has just posted an undate:

http://theseconddisc.com/

The update is that they don't know anything about whether or not the release will happen and it isn't known what it will be if it does happen. That is not what I would consider an update, we were already unsure of whether the release is real and what it will be if it is real. I get the feeling that all of the other sellers and all of the forums with information about this release got it from the Amazon listing which Amazon has now basically voided.

Play.com now indicates a release date of November 22, 2010.

One thing I noticed whilst searching the web for info about this release was that this title has apparently been pushed back before. Doing a google search I have seen some webstores that said August 11th, 2010 for the CD/DVDA. Another had some time in September. Some sites still show November 8th, such as HMV Japan, Amazon.de, and Amazon Japan for the UK release. But with the recent changes to the description on the Amazon UK site, that is looking less and less likely. I'd still love to get this in 5.1 DVD-Audio, though!

Why is the Stills site absent from information.

I get the feeling this is just a US Army psychology experiment being conducted on us. Promise the test group a DVDA, make it disappear, tease them with a delayed release date, it comes and goes, and then wait to see how many of us go postal.

I get the feeling this is just a US Army psychology experiment being conducted on us. Promise the test group a DVDA, make it disappear, tease them with a delayed release date, it comes and goes, and then wait to see how many of us go postal.

Exactly. ;) "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with." Dolby Digital! :rolleyes:

Back