Steve Miller Band "Fly Like An Eagle" 30th Anniversary Edition in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How 'bout this: at CD Universe, they have a listing for "Fly Like An Eagle" as a Digipak, with a picture of the 30th anniversary cover, and three bonus tracks listed. So far, so good, until you read the description:

"This is a DTS CD, which features DTS 5.1 Surround Sound technology and is playable on a DTS-capable 5.1 Surround Sound system."

Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing? Maybe they're all "flying like an eagle" in the 30 years ago sense, if you know what I mean. :smokin

Actually, I am not sure what you are getting at. Do you mean that they said it was a DTS CD instead of a DVD with a DTS track?

Actually, I am not sure what you are getting at. Do you mean that they said it was a DTS CD instead of a DVD with a DTS track?

Yep. Even if they MEANT to list the DTS CD, the DTS CD doesn't have the three bonus tracks. I don't believe the item they're describing exists.

How 'bout this: at CD Universe, they have a listing for "Fly Like An Eagle" as a Digipak, with a picture of the 30th anniversary cover, and three bonus tracks listed. So far, so good, until you read the description:

"This is a DTS CD, which features DTS 5.1 Surround Sound technology and is playable on a DTS-capable 5.1 Surround Sound system."

Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing? Maybe they're all "flying like an eagle" in the 30 years ago sense, if you know what I mean. :smokin

Not the first time they've screwed up a description.

tower records will have it today 18th best buy maybe 22-29 i'll take my shoot with tower/trainman92

This thing is freaking fantastic. One of the best discs this year. Talk about detailing! And there is adequate bass as well. It does not sound thin or strident at all. Totally different from the album version I remember. Run out and buy this one! The things like cymbals could have a bit more presence but everything just hangs together so well. Also, the surround is perfect. You really forget that this is Dolby. It would be nice to have this in high-rez but I am not disappointed at all.

I got to my local BB early today and they had ONE copy in stock and I don't think anyone had beaten me to earlier copies. Well at least I can report that they are sold out at my BB! Maybe they should re-order due to the overwhelming demand.

I got to my local BB early today and they had ONE copy in stock and I don't think anyone had beaten me to earlier copies. Well at least I can report that they are sold out at my BB! Maybe they should re-order due to the overwhelming demand.

The HMV I went to had 1 copy as well. In fact I had them put it away at 10 am this morning when it opened.

well everyone the delay was a joke the dvd audio sounds the same as the 6/29 date one still missing the complet space intro what did they want us to buy two of the same ;what a way to make a profit/trainman92

well everyone the delay was a joke the dvd audio sounds the same as the 6/29 date one still missing the complet space intro what did they want us to buy two of the same ;what a way to make a profit/trainman92

What DVD-Audio? There is no DVD-Audio of Eagle.

This thing is freaking fantastic. One of the best discs this year. Talk about detailing! And there is adequate bass as well. It does not sound thin or strident at all. Totally different from the album version I remember. Run out and buy this one! The things like cymbals could have a bit more presence but everything just hangs together so well. Also, the surround is perfect. You really forget that this is Dolby. It would be nice to have this in high-rez but I am not disappointed at all.

Getting it today. Thanks for the info!

This thing is freaking fantastic. One of the best discs this year. Talk about detailing!

(y) (y) (y) I totally agree!!! I've never heard this classic sounding so good! Great surround mix (Very good SQ -even though it's just DD!) , Good documentary and 130min!!! Concert. (THey sure squeezed alot onto 1 disc!)
Overall, just a great package!
I hope he does the same with "Book of Dreams"!!!
Tim

(y) (y) (y) I totally agree!!! I've never heard this classic sounding so good! Great surround mix (Very good SQ -even though it's just DD!) , Good documentary and 130min!!! Concert. (THey sure squeezed alot onto 1 disc!)
I hope he does the same with "Book of Dreams"!!!
Tim

I love Book Of Dreams. I hope so too!

Tim

I'm not sure what other people negatively reporting on this disc are listening to. I had Pulse on right after the 5.1 of FLAE and what a difference there was! Pulse paled in comparison. Of course it is live and not a studio recording but there was just such a difference.

One of the best 1-2 punches since Rubber Soul/Revolver.
Great comparison! After seeing the SM documentary I had forgotten that he did write all those songs for FLAE & BOD at the same time and said he had enough for a double album release but decided to go with 2 seperate albums.
I don't know for sure but I'll bet it was the same with those Beatle albums. Those could easily have made one helluva double album release!!!
Tim

Got mine today at Costco for $15.59!!! They had about 10 of them at my location. In comparison, Fry had it today for $24.99:(

And Norton Buffalo is listed in the credits of my booklet.

Got mine today at Costco for $15.59!!! They had about 10 of them at my location. In comparison, Fry had it today for $24.99:(

And Norton Buffalo is listed in the credits of my booklet.
Hello,

You're right, don't know how I missed that before. I guess I was looking where Carlos, George, and Joe were listed and expected to see Norton too.

So the mystery continues about why this thing was recalled. Interesting that the discounter Costco has it in stock. Maybe there was a contractual distribution issue with Costco not getting it in time for the original release date? With the kind of quantities that Costco buys in, this title will probably never make it to YourMusic.com like the Dylan's, Elton's and Clapton's etc.

Maybe some of the footage in the documentary had to be edited out for legal reasons? Time will tell I guess.

I was floored as soon as the guitar on Fly came in. When the drums kicked in my jaw hit the floor. Awesome. Can't believe it's DD. No other DD only disc I have sounds like this. Glad that the simple songs are kept simple. I hate a goofy mix like the Hiatt "Bring The Family" mix.

Even the concert sounds great. Glad I bought it.

Back