Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonderful interview.
Steven Wilson is heading towards the "ultimate artist" path...

This has to be the ultimate irony. Given that there were so many iPods destroyed in the cause of art during the making of Insurgentes, and SW's public statements about their lack of sonic quality, Burning Shed are offering the following, and this is a quote from their order page for the Insurgentes CD/DVDA:-

"It will be released on 24th February, but you can pre-order it now and receive a link to download the album in 256kb mp3 format to listen to while you wait for your physical copy to arrive."

Clearly someone's special joke!!

Actually, it makes sense. It's a bonus for those who can tolerate and purists can ignore it. Delete the necessary evil when the real thing arrives. MP3 is deemed disposable after all, right?

Oh cmon guys....MP3's are not Satan's seed. I know it's ironic given SW's view on things, but they sure come in handy. My Kia has a USB port and I love having tons of music on a little stick!

Like the government, I consider MP3s a necessary evil. ;) I guess I could go back to portable CD players, but I don't want to revisit the skipping disc phenomenon.

You don't actually need to.
all iPods are capable of lossless storage & playback.
After all, you don't need 40-80Gb of MP3. Nobody does.

I do!!! (60.20gb needed and growing, to be exact.) :D

I know I could put fewer songs onto the iPod and go with lossless, but I like being able to lug around my entire collection. Have something hit my fancy and just know that I've always got it with me, or enjoy the entire thing on random mode. It's pretty f'n cool! That said, I mostly use MP3, at a middle-of-the-road rate of 192, only for portable stuff... the car, or cheapie headphones. At home, I don't bother with it. My "music server" is done up using Apple Lossless. Still a far cry from hi-rez, 5.1-ch DVD-Audio, though.

I do!!! (60.20gb needed and growing, to be exact.) :D

I know I could put fewer songs onto the iPod and go with lossless, but I like being able to lug around my entire collection. Have something hit my fancy and just know that I've always got it with me, or enjoy the entire thing on random mode. It's pretty f'n cool! That said, I mostly use MP3, at a middle-of-the-road rate of 192, only for portable stuff... the car, or cheapie headphones. At home, I don't bother with it. My "music server" is done up using Apple Lossless. Still a far cry from hi-rez, 5.1-ch DVD-Audio, though.

I was just about to post the exact same thing! (but I've got 61.2GB haha)
It is fantastic to know that when you're on the road you will be able to listen to any of the music that you own depending on what mood you are in. I can never predict what I'm going to want to listen to as I like to keep my entire collection in rotation in one way or another. And I'm a big fan of being able to put my entire collection on random which has often opened my eyes to songs that I may have not had time to give the attention they deserve.

I'm only 23 years old now, so I shudder to think about how much music I'm going to own by the time I'm 30. And I always like to have the physical media (always in hi-rez and/or surround if available!) so I'll need to find somewhere to put it all!

You don't actually need to.
all iPods are capable of lossless storage & playback.

Someday I do plan on having a complete lossless storage of my collection where possible, but for now, mp3 fills an important niche since mp3s take up far less space than lossless files. I can fit far more music on my non-iPod mp3 player using mp3 and when I do listen to my mp3 player I'm not hooking it up to my speaker system or to audiophile headphones anyway. . .just a pair of cheap (but good for the $$$) JVCs. Who knows, as the size of the drives on these players increase, maybe lossless will be possible for my purposes. But, I don't have a 40 or 80 GB player right now, so my method works well.

JMO,
Josh

MP3s have their place. Will I listen to them at home on my stereo system? No. But to use on the iPod in the car it's perfect (if ripped at a reasonable bit rate). The car isn't sonically sound and most likely can't tell the difference between a well ripped MP3 and the CD it came from.

Even though I have the Deluxe Edition, I did order the 2 disc version just released from Amazon and it just shipped. :)

Back