Steven Wilson - "Insurgentes"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do keep in mind that the deluxe set has more music (that 2nd CD) than the KScope version before you part with it (if indeed you do).

Hi guys,
got my shipment notification to Germany yesterday!
So they have reached mainland Europe by now in their shipping scheme... :D
Best regards,
Oliver

Nice! I felt bad not buying this, but I really haven't cared for his non-PT stuff nearly as much as the PT stuff. I'm happy to buy this at a more 'normal' price, though I'm sure the book is beautiful.

You won't be disappointed with the music either.
It grabs you right from the opener "Harmony Korine" (There are snatches of this on the trailers at the insurgentes website) and doesn't let go until the end of the last track - leaving you with the age-old problem of "What the **** do I play now??"
Steven has definitely done it again here - the style on this album constantly shifts from track to track and you just cannot slot it into any definite style or genre except a whole new one called "Steven Wilson".
Maybe I am biased, but this record should be up for awards it is that good. I'm so happy steven has decided to do a full release - it deserves it.

It's here!!!

I got my copy today. :banana:

The book is very nice, but I'm more in this thing for the music.

First song spinning on my DVD-A player at this moment! First impression is good: hey this is Steven Wilson!!!

Everybody, get in the starting blocks: your copies should be arriving soon!

Mine arrived today in So. Calif. I know everyone wants reviews over delivery notices but this gives other people that ordered an idea of when to expect their package. Telecommuting today so I can't preview until later, without interruption and sitting in the sweet spot. Like how the disc storage space/spindles are mounted and part of the hard cover for a true deluxe version.

Mine arrived today and I've just finished the first disc. Surround is at the other place - it's stereo only in this house so as a substitute I just cranked it up louder ;-) (actually...would've done that regardless!). My first impression...well....just read what Neil said a few posts up as that sums it up as good as I could right now.

I'm on the road starting early tomorrow but I am going to rip a lossless copy to my laptop to enjoy while I am away.

Well...I won't write a full overview just yet as I have only listened once so this is a first impression. Subdued lighting, alone, uninterrupted, LOUD, DVD-A 5.1...
Quite stunning actually - not what I expected and yet everything it should be. VERY dynamic = quiet passages to intense noise bordering on industrial. Very little of it felt like other SW work other than of course the voice.
Dramatic shifts in tone and feeling throughout.
Dark, dark, dark...not a bad thing at all!
How does one dude have so much talent?
/\/\
Hey Neil - fantastic surround work! Everything firmly anchored in the front soundstage but enveloping in the extreme - amazing!
Definitely worth the $$$

Hi guys,
mine arrived yesterday. I didn't have a chance to listen to it yet, though... I'll pop it in tonight.
The package was slightly dented when it arrived, and unfortunately, the book inside has a small blemish because of that :(
Damn postal service!
Best regards,
Oliver

Received mine in the mail yesterday (I live in Melbourne, Australia).
The book is really nice, definitely something I'm going to be glad I own years down the track. It is nice to be able to look through all the artwork while sitting down and listening to the DVDA to complete the experience.
I have listened to the album through a few times in stereo and it is getting better with every listen. I think it is fair to say that anyone who is excited by the idea of new music from Steven Wilson will enjoy this album.
I am currently listening to the album in surround. It sounds very nice, as expected. Nothing in the mix really draws attention to itself, it does well to immerse you in the sound.
This is definitely the sort of album that is best enjoyed when given the undevided attention of the listener. This is a fairly dark album, but in a good way.

Bottom line, anyone reading this because they are interested in this album will enjoy it. buy it!

Hey all, this is my first post! I've been lurking for a few days, and I'm very interested in being a part of this community. :) I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile (partially because I can't afford to be one), but I like things that sound good.

I too received my Insurgentes order a couple of days ago, and I was blown away during my first listen. I've only heard the 5.1 version in its entirety, so that's the version I'll be talking about. Also, the book is beautiful. I don't know how much actual use it will get, but it is definitely a piece of well though and well produced art. The downside is that one really needs to like mutilated dolls and destroyed iPods. I wouldn't suggest looking at it directly before bed unless you enjoy disturbing dreams ;)

The 1st track is as close to PT that we will see on this album, as it quickly diverts into many different things, but in a very cohesive way. Although the styles are different from track to track, they still very obviously belong together.

"get what you deserve" (track 9) is amazing; when the "total fu**ing noise" (that's actually in the credits as a instrument) comes in, it's very much like a tidal wave of sound about to crash over your head that only gets bigger (closer) as more noise is added until it's a full out assault (but in a good way). I really like how this track goes through the entire dynamic range from a very minimalist beginning with very little happening to utter chaos by the end. It's a mini-clinic in the use of dynamic range, something that a lot of musicians seem to have lost.

Although the musicians are all excellent throughout, don't expect to hear crazy musicianship in the form of technical chops; it simply isn't there but in a very few select places on the album. Everything is exceedingly tight, and every note is purposefully placed in its exact spot with the appropraite level of volume and tone, but don't expect crazy solos or a plethora of drum fills that defy the brain.

The preview of the film (about 18 or so minutes) makes me really want to see it, and I would hope that it is released on Blu-Ray so as to preserve the excellent sound as well as the video. Considering a major theme is the mourn for the loss of full fidelity artwork, I would expect it to be released in a format that preserves as much as possible, and DVD with a 5.1 DTS surround simply won't cut it.

One thing I find a bit perplexing, however, is SW's resistance to the download culture which is inherently lossy in terms of sound as well as it's disconnect from the artwork, yet he still sells MP3s of many of his albums. To his credit, most of those MP3s are also available as FLAC, and they do come with PDF files of the artwork as opposed to a simple icon, but . . .

Well...I won't write a full overview just yet as I have only listened once so this is a first impression. Subdued lighting, alone, uninterrupted, LOUD, DVD-A 5.1...
Quite stunning actually - not what I expected and yet everything it should be. VERY dynamic = quiet passages to intense noise bordering on industrial. Very little of it felt like other SW work other than of course the voice.
Dramatic shifts in tone and feeling throughout.
Dark, dark, dark...not a bad thing at all!
How does one dude have so much talent?
/\/\
Hey Neil - fantastic surround work! Everything firmly anchored in the front soundstage but enveloping in the extreme - amazing!
Definitely worth the $$$

Glad you like the record - but the surround work is all down to steven - all I did was put it all together.:banana:

Hey just a note to say that I love the music SW produces.

I was unfortunate in that the ltd edition was sold out before I could order. I could have got the vinyl, but I would not risk cueing a 10" disc on my turntable for fear of missing and breaking the expensive stylus.

Just for info I would not buy any incomplete version of this music. I find the notion of bonus tracks a bit of a gimmick (Could you imagine Comfortably Numb only being available to the first 3000 purchasers of The Wall?)

I would like to buy the complete album with all the tracks on 24 bit stereo flac or DVD-A and CD if possible.

However, from what I have read, I will probably have to do without purchasing this album unless I get mugged on ebay.

Might I suggest for the next release to do what Radiohead did and see how many are needed up front and make them to order.

Please make all this music available in a future release.

And SW, I don't really understand how you can make so much music to such a high standard, but please keep doing it!

All the best.

K

I received my set today. Unfortunately, this beautiful piece of art was damaged in transit due to the pathetic packaging providing by Burning Shed. What were they thinking? A single layer of flimsy cardboard is not enough to protect something like this!

Argh! One corner is completly crushed with ALL pages of the book bent as a result. A deluxe edition deserves deluxe packaging. Come on!

:flame

It seems the packaging issues are quite widespread. A few already complained here and I just wanted to add myself to the "damaged book corner" group... however, is this just an awful coincidence or did the items actually leave Buring Shed already damaged? I'm saying this because the outer package was flawless, it looked as if nothing ever touched it, so how could the book be damaged in one corner inside and everybody's complaining about the same thing? Should we mass e-mail Burning Shed? :confused:

Back