Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get the impression that there are several reasons, and that these reasons are not insurmountable.

1. BGO has had Edgar & Johnny Winter albums out on CD in the UK for many years - included are two-fers, etc.
2. Their album catalog might not be big sellers at this late point in time (not very many hits to report)
3. AF stayed away from "They Only Come Out at Night" (three hit singles) because MFSL had it out on SACD (20 years ago)
4. Which albums should be considered? Just the big hit album, or an additional? Two Johnny and two Edgar albums? .

So it looks like some risk is involved financially. But I think there are reasons we might actually see these come out on SACD with quad layers, and here are the reasons.

1. Tapes are likely in order and in good shape
2. These albums do fit well as two-fers (two albums on one quad SACD)
3. The sales and careers have cooled off enough that licensing costs might not be so prohibitive.
4. They are Sony controlled, and DV has a good line of communication obviously.
5. The albums are solid musically, and quad mixes are strong.
6. The albums that are of top choice quality, and titles available, is not a bottomless pit. These albums are standing out as obvious choices when "quad" rock titles controlled by Sony are considered.
7. If Rick Derringer as a two-fer can happen, two-fers of four Winter titles is definitely on the table.

Just remember if Cherry Red has the UK license on the Winters, then there is no chance that D-V would be able to issue any of them until the Cherry Red agreement expired. It's just business!

Just remember if Cherry Red has the UK license on the Winters, then there is no chance that D-V would be able to issue any of them until the Cherry Red agreement expired. It's just business!

somehow DV "All American Boy" & "Spring Fever" Quad SACD while Cherry Red had their Rick Derringer CD boxset out.... 🤔

How about any of the Arista titles? Those should be under Sony's control today.

Three Barry Manilow's - one was CD-4 only.
Eric Carmen
Outlaws
Brecker Bros.
and supposedly, The Bay City Rollers.

Or would Sony Japan possibly release some Winter Quads? They seem to keep branching out within catalog quad portfolio.

They do seem like the most obvious. Heck, The Simpsons once even mentioned Quadraphonic sound and played an Edgar Winter tune.
I would worry though that Edgar Winter or Johnny Winter really aren't in the public lexicon anymore. But, that's why I also think now is the time to reintroduce the boys.

Oh, didn't know that Cherry Red does SACDs. I need to look into that. ;)

But it is troubling that AF and DV both sat around saying (silently) it's not quite time for them, while just a couple of short years ago Cherry Red steps in and says otherwise.

And MFSL keep cranking out Nilsson Schmilsson , more Santana, and tons of other titles (with quite nice quad mixes left in the vaults).

Is someone going to grab Jefferson Starship quads? Or wait for Cherry Red to do the big UK box set of the studio albums first?

Or would Sony Japan possibly release some Winter Quads? They seem to keep branching out within catalog quad portfolio.
Once they cover the Santana hotter tiles, the next two or three, maybe they will do the big Winter Group album in a fancy 7" gatefold. It is possible. But it sucks getting the leftovers after other labels get in there and grab the low hanging fruit. Sony Japan does not have to consider anyone else, or what they just put out a year or so ago.

I almost forgot the early Doobie Brothers, Eagles, 10cc (but I have never heard of any ever being mixed in quad) Black Oak Arkansas if there are any, Blue Oyster Cult, Bread. So I read on the DTS web site in the 00's They did - Burn - Deep Purple on 5.1 cd before Stormbringer but it was not available when I saw it.

After Santana 3 I would love to get Blood,Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits ( that was very good on Q8) and I am sure I read somewhere years ago that they did Joe Walsh -
The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get in Quad but never released it. I now Santana was not DV but it is the next one I would like.
You must be referring to Joe Walsh - So What as the unreleased quad; we've all had copies of The Smoker You Drink on QS vinyl or Q8 tape for decades. I would LOVE for that to get the deluxe treatment.

I almost forgot the early Doobie Brothers, Eagles, 10cc (but I have never heard of any ever being mixed in quad) Black Oak Arkansas if there are any, Blue Oyster Cult, Bread. So I read on the DTS web site in the 00's They did - Burn - Deep Purple on 5.1 cd before Stormbringer but it was not available when I saw it.
There are a number of list pages here to reference what was actually released in quad; this resource is a good start: Quadraphonic Discography

While the Deep Purple - Burn album art appeared in a WEA quad advertisement (which you can also find on this site), we've never seen it. Stormbringer was commercial quad and not hard top find. quad mix was issued on a DVD in recent years.

All I know is what I read maybe it was not released in the UK? as for burn I remember it saying on the DTS web site that it was mixed or produced or something by Glenn Hughes.

Slade.. wow.. would be really interesting to hear how they worked that "radio wall of sound" into Quad! do you happen to know which versions Quad or are all copies of Alive QS encoded?

Back