Talk Talk as a DVD-Audio coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem is, of course, that not all DVD players will correctly output 24/96 LPCM as this is only optional in the specifications - mandatory output is in fact only 16/48.
I have a player here that outputs in 16/96 (crazy but true - Cambridge Audio Azur 540MkII) and does this by truncating the 24-bit word down to 16-bits on the fly.
Other players will have the firmware set to output at 48kHz, and will SRC on the fly unless reset - and yet others are simply not capable of outputting a 24/96 stream period.

Having said that, most will - but it is not guaranteed.....there is no good reason at all not to make these proper DVD-A/V titles as replication costs no more.
It is laziness, pure and simple.
Having said that, I found these on AMazon.co.uk for £17.24 plus £1.24 shipping, so ordered before they vanish.

The only problem is, of course, that not all DVD players will correctly output 24/96 LPCM as this is only optional in the specifications - mandatory output is in fact only 16/48...

perhaps this apply only in the case of processing of digital signal into analog by means of such DVD players.
upon use of digital connections between player and receiver and sending to receiver raw digital stream,
processing would be done in receiver. not sure but i believe all latest (2000 and up) receivers supplied with
good processors and issue of truncating isn't an actual one.
then again, owners of universal DVD Audio/Video players shouldn't have such concern, as those players
typically belong to higher class of electronic equipment and was build from better components. at least one
of mine relatively cheap player LG doesn't have such problem and is familiar with the stream in both,
96KHZ/24bit and 192KHz/24bit

....I found these on AMazon.co.uk for £17.24 plus £1.24 shipping, so ordered before they vanish.
They've gone up to over £22 each in the last few days. I did get mine ordered before the price increase, saving me about $17.

I have the SACDs so ... no real point and I didn't plan on selling them.
I wish they'd have done the first 2 albums as well.
Stereo or not, the first 2 in 96/24 would be awesome.

No point? There is a bonus track on each.

Interesting thing about SACD (and, oddly enough, MP3) here - our cats will not stay in the room with any SACD playing.
High Resolution PCM or DTS-HD or MLP they have no issues with, but when I played COS all 3 got up & left the room.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the DVD-V discs.
Not exactly scientific, I know, but just saying...........

Did those SACDs come from the same 16 bit / 44.1 or 48khz source as the 24/96 DVD-V disks that come with the vinyl?

Spirit Of Eden is rather laid back. Pretty good though. How about the other? Same way? Haven't received it yet.

Last edited:
Otto, thanks for the tip about Amazon Canada. I received mine, shipped overnight from Canada to Texas, the day after release. I even got a $2 refund because the price went down after I placed the order. Sweet!
The discs are not DVD-Audio, but rather audio only DVD discs with 96khz/24 bit LPCM stereo. I haven't had a chance to sit down and give a serious listen to the vinyl yet.

btw- For those needing Talk Talk in multi-channel, there is an upmix out there in BT land....

I've received both but TCOS is being returned as the corner of the vinyl sleeve is badly damaged and at £18 plus P&P they can have it back again & try to get me one in better condition.
Shame really, as it is not the fault of the supplier - some arse in the Post Office has obviously dropped it on it's corner - and the packaging has footprints on it too.

I've received both but TCOS is being returned as the corner of the vinyl sleeve is badly damaged and at £18 plus P&P they can have it back again & try to get me one in better condition.
Shame really, as it is not the fault of the supplier - some arse in the Post Office has obviously dropped it on it's corner - and the packaging has footprints on it too.
I received one like that. It spent an extra week or so in the mail which is probably why. Since I bought it for the DVD inside I didn't worry about it too much. I did mention it to amazon.uk in "packaging feedback" ... and you should see the prices on them now. They've gone up about $13 each since I bought mine.

Interesting thing about SACD (and, oddly enough, MP3) here - our cats will not stay in the room with any SACD playing.
High Resolution PCM or DTS-HD or MLP they have no issues with, but when I played COS all 3 got up & left the room.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the DVD-V discs.
Not exactly scientific, I know, but just saying...........

Are these DVD-V discs now "Cool for Cats"?.:) Had to "Squeeze" that in.

They seem to think the 24/96 LPCM is an improvement - at least, they don't all dive for the cat door.
Shame that SOE is an upsample - but at least this is clearly pointed out on the DVD

Heads up on availability of The Color of Spring for 16 euros at Amazon Spain.
After hearing some very good praises about them, I got hooked this week during a trip to the UK when I found some time to listen to the main four Talk Talk albums, and amazing they are.
I've been mostly ignoring the 80s music for years, but there are many hidden gems that I've been very glad to discover thanks to this forum

Back