Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received mine yesterday and ran thru the MC mixes my system supports (all but ATMOS), and have to agree that the 1973 quad mix smokes the new ones massively. I was really looking forward to the new 5.1 Kimsey mix but it’s way too conservative and static. Here’s to Larry Keyes!

PS - I really had to crank this to get to a suitable playback volume. Is it just me or did anyone have a similar experience?

Received mine yesterday and ran thru the MC mixes my system supports (all but ATMOS), and have to agree that the 1973 quad mix smokes the new ones massively. I was really looking forward to the new 5.1 Kimsey mix but it’s way too conservative and static. Here’s to Larry Keyes!

PS - I really had to crank this to get to a suitable playback volume. Is it just me or did anyone have a similar experience?

Yes, you are not alone, same experience with the volume. Great Quad Mix!!!!

Regards my friend

Yes the volume is so low you have to crank it up. Ive experienced this before dont know why that is.
After basking in the glow of the quad mix I sampled a few songs in 5.1 No need to ever listen to that again they sound lackluster after the original quad mix.
Ill eventually check out the stereo mix.

image.jpg

Here in Oak Ridge Tennessee!

It does give Paul at SDE the ability to go to the record companies and say this is what happens if you restrict the number of copies that can be manufactured.
You’re assuming they 1) care 2) didn’t limit it for bigger reasons and 3) couldn’t just say take it or leave it.

Don't they do that because they want to know how many to produce? I don't think you can have it both ways.
I can’t imagine the label (or anybody) thought 1,000 copies wouldn’t sell out quickly - particularly when releases from artists of similar stature do maybe 3x that number of copies on RSD (different formats and marketing reach, I realize, but nonetheless…). And SDE implied this is the max and they’re won’t be any more.

My guess is the label is either doing this begrudgingly or is constrained contractually.

Before we get too critical on Kris Kimsey's mixes , remember he was the Quad Supervisor.
So he would have final say on Mr Keyes mixes on the quad . He represented the Artist's interests.
And because of Kris Kimsey we now get to review the original quad , the new 5.1 , and the Atmos mixes.
So I give him a great big thanks for his dedication to Ten Years After and making this incredible album available in all our favourite surround formats.

So thankyou for this bluray...Mr. Kris Kimsey.😍

Before we get too critical on Kris Kimsey's mixes , remember he was the Quad Supervisor.
So he would have final say on Mr Keyes mixes on the quad . He represented the Artist's interests.
And because of Kris Kimsey we now get to review the original quad , the new 5.1 , and the Atmos mixes.
So I give him a great big thanks for his dedication to Ten Years After and making this incredible album available in all our favourite surround formats.

So thankyou for this bluray...Mr. Kris Kimsey.😍
I don't know, I think that a bit of @$$ kissing to be so happy with a flawed Atmos mix and say but "that's all right" all is forgiven. "all our favourite surround formats." just docent do it for me. There I said it.

View attachment 89845

Arrived today, haven’t had a chance to listen yet…but will do soon.
Listened this evening a couple of times, mostly the 4.0 quad mix. All I can say is THANK YOU Paul Sinclair! I listened mostly to the quad version -- something about quad vs 5.1 makes it sound best on my system (I'm not set up for Atmos yet).

I compared this SDE version to a quad mix DVD disc I got with a 2012 TYA ASIT LP reissue (VCHR 1001). The SDE version was much lower volume as others had noted (had to crank it), but to my ears the SDE version sounded much better.

Also kudos to Paul for including the liner notes, lyrics and terrific packaging.

Back