'The Beatles' - The White Album Listening Thread - Your thoughts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HMV posted my white album a couple of days ago, 2nd class mail :(, so with luck it'll arrive tomorrow, and my Hendrix & Jethro Tull should arrive as well. So my too listen to surround pile is looking at me forlornly, but I think the pile may be ignored if the others turn up!

They just had an interview with Giles Martin on TV here in AU this morning talking about this release. Apparently includes lots of studio outtakes from the next album that were already being developed during this album. No mention of a surround mix which was disappointing. I was hoping for a ‘plug’.

Piggies....the spike towards the start at 15 second mark in the rears are the pig snorts. :)

1541715546082.png

In less than 24 hours this post will become meaningless. In the meantime, we have anticipation, hope and speculation. The following article appeared in today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/...lights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Forget that the writer, longtime music critic Jon Pareles, totally ignores even the existence of the surround mix. Skip down to the next to last paragraph where he discusses how the new stereo mix differs, at least in places, from the original stereo mix. Note that Giles and company have taken liberties to change the mixes in ways most apparent when listening on headphones(especially to those listeners who know the White Album inside and out). Then consider that, if he was willing to take these liberties(under Sir Paul's directive) with the all important stereo mix, then what might this potentially point to for his approach to the 5.1 mixes? There is hope dear reader. Tomorrow will tell.

Gene, you really got the QQ scoop on this one being you're the first to get it. You rock for giving all this good news. Nanners for GOS...:QQlove

This purchase will have to wait a week or two for me, but I'm droolin. I sunk my sound budget into helping my brothers speaker situation and the Tull and the Hendrix. It'll take a bit to recover.

Have you been tempted to turn up the rears at all? Since Pepper and Imagine both seem to benefit from it by making the surround sound more discreet, it seemed a good bet that this release might be mixed that way too....

Maybe this will stop my habit of always skipping over Revolution 9.:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Gene, you really got the QQ scoop on this one being you're the first to get it. You rock for giving all this good news. Nanners for GOS...:QQlove

This purchase will have to wait a week or two for me, but I'm droolin. I sunk my sound budget into helping my brothers speaker situation and the Tull and the Hendrix. It'll take a bit to recover.

Have you been tempted to turn up the rears at all? Since Pepper and Imagine both seem to benefit from it by making the surround sound more discreet, it seemed a good bet that this release might be mixed that way too....

Maybe this will stop my habit of always skipping over Revolution 9.:eek::eek::eek:
Hmmm - no I didn't even consider turning up the rears. Not that you couldn't....I'm telling you...this is way different than Pepper. It just sounds better all the way around.

Obviously I haven't heard this yet, but just from those waveforms @GOS posted the front/rear balance looks much improved vs. Pepper or Imagine. I just threw up some tracks from those two releases and you can really see how front-loaded they are.

This is "When I'm 64" (one of the more active tracks once you drop the fronts -3dB IMO)
Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.14.17 PM.png

This is "How Do You Sleep" (arguably the most active track on the main Imagine 5.1):
Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 6.09.33 PM.png

I know it's sort of apples and oranges comparing all these releases and you can't really judge until you hear it, but to me what GOS posted looks way better than either of these in terms of balance and just overall mastering.

OK - I'm on last song. This thing had me mesmerized from start to finish. I cannot lie...this is going to be an easy 10 vote for me. I think. And, considering the era....I know what I need to do with my original vote for the Moody's. If I'm going to give this one a 10, it is so, so much better in all aspects than Chord from Moodys.....I need to lower my Moody's vote to put this all in perspective. I've never changed a vote before, but for me to put it all in context, I have to. No chance Moody's (similar era) is a 7 and this one a 10. Not even in the same league..... :)

Gene, just got home from our Thursday routine of taking care of grand kids and have to confess I did take a few sneak peaks at my daughters place to checkout this site during the day and saw(WOW) your reporting on this album, thanks for taking the time to do that and so glad you got it day before your son's wedding, well deserved.

Hope your family has a AMAZING day tomorrow and thanks again for Beatles reporting today. Take care my friend.

Back