The Blues Thread (Surround-Stereo-Mono) Anything Goes.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both very good if not great albums. There several Jarrett Impulse Quads. I've not been wowed with any Jarrett Quad mixes. Check Mark Anderson's list for QS titles. I bought them all. Yawuh, Backhand and Treasure Island are the other three. As I recall, all Jarrett QS marked compatible Quad.

http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

CDJapan has a bunch of new live recordings, released this year January 2023.
They have a (y) logo at the front right corner, don't know the company, but I ordered a few. I looked on Amazon but couldn't find the same picture, only LP. A little confused I am.

CDJapan version cover with thumbs up.
CDSOL-47803.jpg

AMAZON cover, with no thumps up.
71P24SZfXpL._SX522_.jpg

Complete Recordings v2 - Bessie Smith 2 Sony/Columbia CD
World's Greatest Blues Singer will never die!
10 CD/5 sets series which YOU NEED!

the real deal with a style all her own
billed as Empress of the Blues in her lifetime.
Louis Armstrong & Benny Goodman played on some of her sides.
Janis Joplin brought flowers to her grave just before Joplin passed herself.

Bought her entire catalog, first on 5 2 LP sets on Columbia/CBS in early '70's, later on Sony 10 CD/5 2 CD sets in '90's.

An old customer, Chris Albertson wrote a wonderful biography "Bessie" which was revised in a 2003 edition. He wrote voluminous notes for both LP and CD series.

When Albertson was working on v5, he told me it included a surprise.
Surprise was an extended interview with Smith's running buddy, Ruby. Smith referred to her as a niece. Actually, Ruby was Jack Gee's nice. Gee was Smith's husband.

Yes, there was a Smith biopic, starring Queen Latifah. Not entirely accurate.

St. Louis Blues 1929 short of same name. Smith's only movie appearance, though she was the best selling female blues artist through the '20's and '30's. One of her first 78's sold 2 million copies! She appears at approx. 4:20, song begins at approx. 6:35:

Anyone else spinning blues??

Complete Recordings v3 - Bessie Smith 2 CD
Electric Mud - Muddy Waters CD
Tres Hombres - ZZ Top Q8 "they got a lot of nice girls..."
Guitar Wizards 1926 - 1935 Yazoo va LP comp
Hooker n Heat - John Lee Hooker & Canned Heat 2 CD

Hi Q-Linda you got me to open up my Canned Heat 2017 Japanese SHM CD collection, superb sonics on these CD's
Anyway listening to Hooker N' Heat.
R-13595273-1557170744-4669.jpg

Hooker 'n Heat is a double album released by blues musician John Lee Hooker and the band Canned Heat in early 1971. It was the last studio album to feature harmonica player, guitarist and songwriter Alan Wilson, who died in September 1970 from a drug overdose. The photo on the album cover was taken after Wilson's death, but his picture can be seen in a frame on the wall behind John Lee Hooker. Guitarist Henry Vestine was also missing from the photo session. The person standing in front of the window, filling in for Henry, is the band's manager, Skip Taylor.[3] Careful examination of the photo reveals that Henry's face was later added by the art department.[3] Although featured on the cover, vocalist Bob Hite does not sing on the album.

Last edited:
I am off to Nashville tomorrow, Muscle Shoals>Memphis>Natchez and New Orleans.
Hope to listen to a lot of Blues and Country on our trip.
Geeting in the mood with the very first JSP 5.1 SACD I bought, 2004's Byther Smith-Addressing The Nation With The Blues. I now have all the JSP blues recordings, not a bad one of the 11 that got released.
R-10148743-1492461236-5059.jpg

Listening to Freddie King, Going down At Onkel Po's-Live Germany 1975.
Pretty good/clean recording, not perfect but good enough and super good performance.
This is part of a series I stumbled on at CDJapan, will be buying some more. It is a series called Mother Road Music-Rock and Blues Campaign. Looks like most are a 2023 release.
R-9440652-1494662261-8908.jpg

Last edited:
Marpow did you make it to Stax while you were in Memphis? It's pretty cool. They rebuilt the place in the same spot on McLemore Ave.
Yes, we did. We had such an awesome time. Stax is quite a big deal with the school next door and all the stuff. Issac Hayes car was cool. Got to hear a live band there for about 10 minutes before there set ended.

Just finished ripping my 20 something order from CDJapan.
From what I can gather these all live recordings would be considered bootlegs, but what I have heard so far all are excellent.
The label releasing these in 2023 is called Mother Road Music, my internet searching comes up with MRM but not the Japanese label?
It seems the all come from Rock Beat Records and the re released this 2023 year by MRM in Japan?
Lots and lots of music, no way can listen at home so they will need to be car listened, which is fine.
One little gem is Magic Slim Recorded Live in Berkeley Mandrake's July 11 1969, 5 months before he passed away Dec 1st 1969.
R-8429590-1540058190-4212.jpg

Back