The most beautiful album covers...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 13985

revolver.jpg

My fave album cover is that of the one of the greatest Hungarian prog rock albums:

martian.jpg

I think that the two great Jean Michel Jarre albums should go up as well - they are great design; perhaps they aren't beautiful but certainly put together well.

Oxygene:

o-front.jpg

Equinoxe:

91u28F7JycL._SL1428_.jpg

He recently had some computer artists do a 3d render of the Oxygene album:

front-oxygene-1024x438.jpg

It's a little bit gruesome but still poignant and eye catching.

This is impossible, but many of my favorites were done by either Hipgnosis or Roger Dean. I always liked Wish You Were Here (original version) and Presence, which I always thought was more suited to a Floyd record rather than Led Zep.

At this point in the thread I keep thinking of the title of a Star Trek TV episode, "Is There No Truth in Beauty"...perhaps because for me, 'beautiful' has its own concept after all these years as opposed to many covers posted here which, while are generally impressive, don't meet whatever I find beautiful or fascinating...or something. Tough to be sure at times why visual art captivates, but I do concede it's a major component in our memory of an album that is seldom out of thought while listening. Here's one I find nice, though the man himself once said of such things, 'it's only an album cover':

Van Veedon.jpg

This modest (but all too modestly selling) masterpiece didn't connect with any but us VM diehards, as it had no hit to back it up. But as a sequel to the gentle, jazzy nature of ASTRAL WEEKS, and the rustic ruminations from TUPELO HONEY and ST. DOMINIC'S PREVIEW, was a keeper the moment I heard it. Had more variety and subtlety the more I played it. In a way, might be the most intelligent, thoughtful and hermetic album Van the Man ever made that you would want to hear more than once other than AW. Revered by some, disliked by others, which would pretty much be how Van's career was considered after that, not that he has ever seemed to give a damn.

ED :)

This is impossible, but many of my favorites were done by either Hipgnosis or Roger Dean

Here's one of Roger's greats and my personal favorite (my sister, a finicky listener by nature, liked this album a lot, not like her normal tastes at all):

View attachment 14014

I always liked Wish You Were Here (original version) and Presence, which I always thought was more suited to a Floyd record rather than Led Zep.

Agreed, but by the time of PRESENCE Zep was turning even more eclectic beyond some of what was on PHYSICAL GRAFFITI. For me it's their least listenable album, while IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR, while at the time seemed a return to form, seemed more familiar and...predictable.

ED :)

I think this is over the top but I think it's GREAT cover which fits the music VERY WELL
R-3293328-1324548663.jpeg
and the back
R-3293328-1324548681.jpeg

and one of the most haunting and trippy covers ever
R-77098-1381169053-1717.jpeg

...and basically ANY Cocteau Twins cover...

It is called Silver Apples. It is from 1968, an electronic psychedelic outfit conceived by Simeon. It was released in the US on Kapp Records (now MCA.) Their two albums were released on CD in '94 by the German bootleg label TRC.

Interesting. I wonder if the title is an homage to Morton Subotnick's "Silver Apples of the Moon", an electronic work from 1967 performed entirely on the Buchla modular synth.

Back