The recent and upcoming gigs thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to skherbeck I will be seeing Steven Wilson at the upcoming Wiltern concert. A big thank you to him!

I saw Steven Wilson last night in Boulder Colorado at the sold out 850 seat Boulder Theater. My seat was slightly to the rear of the soundboard, right on the aisle and with one surround speaker directly behind me (maybe 30-40 feet). The surrounds were very effective when used, but they were not frequently employed. After the show I asked Ian the soundman if the material in the surrounds was improvised at all, and he said no. All surround sound was pre-recorded and scripted. I meant to ask him if the surrounds were mono, but in the brief window I had I forgot to ask. I suspect they were, so that the overall effect of the rears was maximized for all attendees. When used, they sounded great.

He played some unreleased material and specifically asked the crowd to not post it on the internet if they managed to record it. The venue security also had instructions to discourage all video and photo capturing during the performance, and they were indeed making every attempt to enforce this.

All this technical detail aside, I really enjoyed the show and am glad I had the opportunity to catch it so close to my home. This is the first time I have seen Steven Wilson perform. Did any other QQ members catch the Boulder show?

Just saw a TOTO 35th Anniversary concert on Palladia channel. Interestingly, they scrolled info at bottom of screen saying that TOTO & YES were going on tour in North America starting in August I think. Clint - I noticed there was a date for Clearwater...maybe you should go. I think it will be an amazing tour....

They are saying both bands are co-headlining...so each group should get equal time and likely over the top visuals/sound.

LINK to TOTO site where they discuss tour...

This is the first time I have seen Steven Wilson perform. Did any other QQ members catch the Boulder show?

No, but I did catch the show on June 5th in Chicago. I was fortunate enough to run into QQ member timbre4 and his son. Anybody else go to the Friday SW show in Chicago?

June 22 - Steven Wilson at the Horowitz Theatre on the University of Alberta campus in Edmonton. I'll be there with my son.

With a long history of hosting thousands of artists from all disciplines of the performing arts, the theatre is highly respected for culture and entertainment in Western Canada and is known internationally as a reliable promoter and facility operator. Every seat in the house at the Horowitz Theatre provides a close, intimate view of the performers on stage. This 720-seat concert hall features a comfortable setting and an inviting atmosphere where patrons can truly enjoy the fine arts and has striven to deliver amazing experiences to the university and Edmonton communities.

mht_photo.jpg

image.jpg

Just got back from seeing Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake ballet today.
Enchanting...no matter how many times you see it. :eek:

View attachment 19284

Just got back from seeing Tchaikovsky - Swan Lake ballet today.
Enchanting...no matter how many times you see it. :eek:

Gaw-juss..! :p I've only ever seen Swan Lake once and that was Matthew Bourne's all-male interpretation at Sadler's Wells about a million years ago! I really ought to see a performance as originally conceived someday.. :eek:

Gaw-juss..! :p I've only ever seen Swan Lake once and that was Matthew Bourne's all-male interpretation at Sadler's Wells about a million years ago! I really ought to see a performance as originally conceived someday.. :eek:

Oh! Please do! Ballet is magical. I've been to 3 in the past 6 months... The Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Swan Lake. Can't wait for the next one! :eek:

Is anyone going, or interested in going, to the Steven Wilson show in Montreal on June 27th? I have 2 ticket to that show that I am willing to sell to a fellow QQ member very cheap. PM me if interested.

I am only selling because they announced an Ottawa/Gatineau show after the Montreal show. I had already bought tickets to the Montreal show. I was going to attend both shows, but I'd prefer to save money on travel/hotel at this point, and only go to the Ottawa show.

Saw Richard Thompson Trio at the Keswick on 6/18/15 from front row center! It looked like a pro video shoot was underway, so I am hoping for a BluRay of the show. The band was all business and played on fire, with much less banter with the audience compared with most RT shows I have seen or heard.

Thanks for the Richard Thompson update( missed him here in Nashville and also hoping for a disc release.

Keep Calm and Have Patience

Saw Steven Wilson yesterday at Macewan Hall on the University of Calgary Campus. What a brilliant performance it was, even in the absence of Marco & Guthrie. It was really special for Rachel & I as this being the first SW concert! There were 2 speakers in the rear used for lot of surround activities, which we never expected! Icing on the cake was LAZARUS and i thought it was really outstanding!!!(y)

Attachments

• 20150623_204516.jpg
    20150623_204516.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 173
  • 20150623_220813.jpg
    20150623_220813.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 20150623_222159.jpg
    20150623_222159.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 176
Saw Steven Wilson yesterday at Macewan Hall on the University of Calgary Campus. What a brilliant performance it was, even in the absence of Marco & Guthrie. It was really special for Rachel & I as this being the first SW concert! There were 2 speakers in the rear used for lot of surround activities, which we never expected! Icing on the cake was LAZARUS and i thought it was really outstanding!!!(y)
Right on. Great pics! I saw them in Edmonton the day before. A very memorable concert.

Last night I saw Brian Wilson at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. To be honest I was on the fence about attending given Brian’s fragile state. But being such a fan of his accomplishments and not knowing how much longer he’ll be performing I decided to go and celebrate the man and his music. He sat center stage behind a grand piano which he rarely touched (and was inaudible) but all in all he did a good job vocally and was fairly engaged throughout. Yes, there were rough spots and times when he appeared to be a bit lost but the audience was firmly on his side and gave him nothing but support which he clearly appreciated.

The band was very good and quite adept in handling the intricate harmonies and varied instrumentation. Brian sang lead on perhaps half the tunes, the other lead vocalists being Matt and Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and Darian Sahanaja. The bulk of the show centered on the Beach Boys 60’s material including (refreshingly) several tunes from the later albums of the decade (Wild Honey through Sunflower). Overall a fun, nostalgic - if bittersweet - evening.

Sixto Rodriguez opened with an endearing solo performance. For those who don’t know, his is a remarkable story chronicled here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL5TffdOQ7g

Florida/Georgia Line, Frankie Ballard, and Thomas Rhett at Marcus Amphitheater (Summerfest) Milwaukee, WI this past Wednesday. Great show, lots of nubile young things shaking their booties. As I commented to Joe, if you're a young, single guy and can't get laid in this crowd, then something is wrong with you. Lots of fireworks over Lake Michigan on the first night of Summerfest. You may be hearing good things about Thomas Rhett, and deservedly so.

Not long back from seeing Camel at The Forum in Bath (UK), great gig, quite a few songs from Mirage & Moonmadness. The thing that comes across is that the band love playing for the audience, very unassuming.

My family and I went to see Elvis Costello and the Imposters / Steely Dan at Shoreline Amphitheatre. The show was great (both sets). The sound mix for Steely Dan was pristine. The mix for EC was fine at the soundboard, but a little muddy where I was sitting (about 20 rows back from the stage). I got some pretty good pictures by holding my cellphone up to a pair of binoculars.

Not sure if I made a mistake(cost of tickets,$325) but I just purchased two tickets to see RUSH for this Friday July 17th at Rogers Arena in Vancouver BC.
Not sure why its taken me so long to go see them as this is my first time to see the Canadian power trio and I will be taking my son who has also never seen them.
I have never paid over a $100 for any concert so this is a first for me as back in the day when I was my son's age all the big bands cost between $10-$20 to see, now it seems big concerts all are in $100 plus range and even a few 100 dollars for some concerts.
Even with inflation the ticket prices these days are sometimes staggering.
The more I thought about that this might be one of last chances to see RUSH and the fact the tickets I got were floor tickets(row 30) right in front of the mixing station sold me on going for it.
Other thing was someone from here gave a very favorable review of seeing RUSH on this current tour, I can't remember who it was so will ask this general question.

Who from here has seen Rush on this present tour?

peter

Big shows cost a lot of money to attend. The last big show I went to was The Wall Live by Roger Waters. Apart fromt hat show I visited only smaller scale shows in a price range of €20,00 to €40,00.

Friday next week I will go to see Riverside.

Back