The record pressing machines are wearing out

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently dug this one out of my vinyl stack, one of my old favorites !

Attachments

• 20220304_204617.jpg
    20220304_204617.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220304_204632.jpg
    20220304_204632.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20220304_204747.jpg
    20220304_204747.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220304_204804.jpg
    20220304_204804.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 55
I never thought that there was anything wrong with those DynaFlex LP's. I remember them all sounding great. There might have been problems using them on the old record changers with their light weight causing the records in the stack to slip over each other. The thinner vinyl might have also been more prone to warpage. I believe that they came about due to the energy crisis of the early seventies causing a shortage of the materials required to make vinyl. I remember being confused when reading about DynaGroove, and confusing it with DynaFlex.

DynaGroove was a system that varied groove spacing to prevent grooves from interfering with each other.

Dynagroove articles:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/60s/Audio-1964-11.pdf#page=24
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/60s/Audio-1964-12.pdf#page=46
I can't locate the info at the moment, but, IIRC, one benefit of dynaflex was that the PVC flowed better during the pressing process and thus resulted in less defects (non-fill etc.) [I don't know much about record pressing, my main interest in record manufacturing is related to CD-4].

Kirk Bayne

I wonder if they actually burned out any engraving heads before they discovered they had to run the lathe at one third/one half speed for CD-4

Doug

Nice Album. I left all my Quads with "a friend" when I went off to college. Obviously big mistake. So, trying to start a new collection. Like anything mid sixties on from Association to Black Sabbath. The one I would really like to replace is Edgar Winter Group "They only come out at Night" but concerned with buying on EBAY. Any input?
Thanks in advance, Bob

On eBay, just don't try to get them too cheaply but also don't pay outrageous prices. Generally, in this case, you do get what you pay for.

Doug

Nice Album. I left all my Quads with "a friend" when I went off to college. Obviously big mistake. So, trying to start a new collection. Like anything mid sixties on from Association to Black Sabbath. The one I would really like to replace is Edgar Winter Group "They only come out at Night" but concerned with buying on EBAY. Any input?
Thanks in advance, Bob
(y) Welcome to the QQ forum @quad-bob

one of the first of my old faves I played when I started digging into my old vinyl stack a couple of months ago 😄 (american version) sorry double post don't see how to delete duh

Last edited:
Yo, did you check the dates on those articles? 2015 & 2012 respectively?

Yup, the Amazon TT sales article was posted years ago on the forum & discussed pretty good. I wonder how amazon did year end 2021 in that area? And I note what is selling in 2015 is low end USB products, not the stuff of quality audio.

The NPR article was new to me. It failed to answer whether vinyl does or does not sound better than digital. The best they said about analog vinyl is the ritual of buying, cleaning, playing an LP and larger size art work. With only one sentence about high res format the digital compared was CD or MP3. But that's about all they could do since this piece was even older than the Amazon article.

Back