The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As have I. And I plan to keep doing so.
I had an initial bump in the road, where I didn't really understand how this would all unfold as a series. I ended up selling the very first title, TFF. Once the titles started rolling in, with slip cases....I regreted selling it. I was able to buy a copy, for a very fair amount of money in the same quality as the one I sold. So, I've got them all, and no turning back now I guess.

Me too! I am currently on the completist trail with SDE as well. Have all of them so far including the George Harrison tribute and really interested to see what is on the way. This is a bit like the early DVD-A releases; buy the format and find out about the artist/music later. I have this approach to thank for discovering Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief and many other albums I would not have bought otherwise.

With these SDE Blu-rays this applies to xPropaganda and Shakespeares Sister especially. Both are a great listen.

So, the British in me kicked in and instead of the positive thinking of what would we love to have from SDE, my brain wandered on to a very negative thought of which album or artist could cause me to decline to keep up the sequence?! Would have to think very hard about yet another version of Dark Side Of The Moon?

But on the positive front it would be great to have Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles which I think is now released in Atmos on Apple Music.

It was only 2-3 years ago that it looked as though we would be lamenting the loss of physical releases so how fortunate are we to have SDE and DV bucking the trend with the occasional delicacies from Cherry Red, Esoteric and Sony Japan (and Universal with the amazing pending Camel release). That's my retirement postponed for another year!!

I'm a pick-and-choose guy. I've bought only three of the ten. I already collect too much stuff and do not want any additional 'completionist' pressure.

I fell out of the club early with Gilbert O'Sullivan. Just couldn't do it.
The immense success of his song, Alone Again (Naturally), both made him for some and broke him for others due to excruciating repetitive play on pop radio. I suspect that, because of that one song, many people such as myself never gave a thought to listening to his other material. :(

WARNING! WARNING! EARWORM RED ALERT!!!

Edit: Whoa! I actually have the song in my collection. It's on Acoustic 70s.

Last edited:
The immense success of his song, Alone Again (Naturally), both made him for some and broke him for others due to excruciating repetitive play on pop radio. I suspect that, because of that one song, many people such as myself never gave a thought to listening to his other material. :(
He was very popular in the UK up until the mid seventies. Appearing regularly on Top of the Pops. My younger sister was a big fan...

I am purchasing all artists I’m interested in only. Bob Dylan, Tears for Fears I’m in.
Gilbert O’Sullivan eh, no, no matter how good the surround mix is.

I've always wanted Mountain's Nantucket's Sleighride, but having listened to it in quad I'm not so sure?

I think "wall of sound" stuff like Don't Look Around & Nantucket Sleighride should probably remain stereo...?...

...when you dismantle the "wall", and separate out its components, it just seems to loose its effect?

I was disappointed with the Motorhead DVD-A I bought for Ace of Spades, but I think it would probably loose something if everything was discreet...?...

...now that I have it however (the Motorhead DVD-A) I'm going to hang on to it, just for the bump in sound quality, although I'm not sure about the weird echoey reverb on the channels when it plays in multichannel...?...it makes it feel a bit "proggy"...?...although maybe that was the idea, considering the market that DVD-A etc. seem to serve...?...

...just not sure that you're going to sway the prog-rock crowd towards motorhead by adding a little reverb?

Maybe I'm wrong and it's been there all the time, just subsumed into the mix.

Same seems to be true with some of the Pixies 5.1 stuff; once you pull it apart it seems to loose something.

I could totally handle some B-52's in surround.
Big Mountain fan here. I would love Nantucket or Climbing in Surround. West, Bruce & Laing's Why Dontcha as well.

I'm a pick-and-choose guy. I've bought only three of the ten. I already collect too much stuff and do not want any additional 'completionist' pressure.
I'm the same. I pre-ordered the Tubular Bells and now wondering why I did.
I'll listen to it a couple times maybe but that is it. I got the 2003 multich
release here and listened to it once, maybe. LOL
I'm 73 and on retirement income and need to be a bit more choosy on my expenditures.

I'm the same. I pre-ordered the Tubular Bells and now wondering why I did.
I'll listen to it a couple times maybe but that is it. I got the 2003 multich
release here and listened to it once, maybe. LOL
I'm 73 and on retirement income and need to be a bit more choosy on my expenditures.
Me too with regards to Tubular Bells. I suppose it's just the fact that it's in surround but I had buyers remorse almost as soon as I clicked on the purchase buttons. I just don't want more stuff in the name of having more stuff or being a completist. Unfortunately, having that mentality for 40+ years is a hard habit to break. Likewise with the lavish box sets. Thanks to Mr Baggins' glowing review I broke down and bought Rush Moving Pictures (only paid $170). I took out the blu-ray and have played it several times. The rest of the box sits there untouched, mocking me for giving into peer pressure for something I really didn't want (except for the BR). I don't even have a shelf that it will readily fit on.
While I can afford to buy all this crap, now in my 60's I just don't have the same desire to collect for the sake of collecting. Nor do I want more crap to store away hoping that in the distant future I will be glad I have it. The distant future isn't as distant as it once was..

Back