"The Sound Of Music" 4CD/Blu-Ray box set with Dolby Atmos mix coming 10/1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The soundtrack to The Sound of Music is getting a deluxe 5-disc box set December 1st. Quad mix not included, but a Dolby Atmos mix is.
I have this STEREO SACD remaster [RCA/Hong Kong Import] from a few years ago and frankly I was NOT impressed. Unless they perform a miracle on the ATMOS remix I'll PASS!

R.fb99dc7bd9c50c6350b6368483094648

Last edited by a moderator:
Which means the original movie is probably destined for release on 4K Video with a Dolby ATMOS soundtrack and IMO, will be a LOT cheaper, Mikey!
I'm happy with my current version.
If a new release has nifty features, I might upgrade.
I can't imagine them working so much magic that the film knocks one's socks off, in a new way.
It's cool, as-is.
We'll see though!

I'm happy with my current version.
If a new release has nifty features, I might upgrade.
I can't imagine them working so much magic that the film knocks one's socks off, in a new way.
It's cool, as-is.
We'll see though!
I'm sure no effort will be spared for the 4K version with a spiffy new ATMOS soundtrack. And if you don't buy it day/date of release, the price usually comes WAY down. Still a guilty pleasure after all these long long years!

And NOW those HILLS ARE ALIVE with the sounds of SURROUND! Who'd ever thought?

Baby, can you understand me now?
Sometimes I get a little mad
Don't you know, no one alive can always be an angel
When things go wrong, I seem to go bad
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

Who loves ya, Baggie? :)
Telly does, baby!!!

Honestly, I don't get it. My post just meant I love watching the movie, with its accompanying soundtrack, but I don't think I'd enjoy just listening to the music without the film.
Isn't this normal, for most films, with most of us? I don't understand the humor. Not a judgement against anyone. Just a statement about me.

Telly does, baby!!!

Honestly, I don't get it. My post just meant I love watching the movie, with its accompanying soundtrack, but I don't think I'd enjoy just listening to the music without the film.
Isn't this normal, for most films, with most of us? I don't understand the humor. Not a judgement against anyone. Just a statement about me.
Mike, Original Soundtrack Recordings as well as Original Cast Recordings have long been a staple of the music industry. Instead of watching a two or three hour movie, the soundtrack merely separates the music from the on screen images and is usually enjoyed as a memento of the flick or Broadway cast and since SOUND OF MUSIC was somewhat of a phenomenon back in the day [and probably still is] hearing the memorable score is still a treat!

I, for one, look forward to a new 4K scan of SoM replete with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack which I feel is in the pipeline for a future release but until that time if I want to hear the original soundtrack recording the alternative is hearing the original score sans the images on the screen!

And I do have quite a collection of movie music and Broadway shows which I will always cherish...especially the latter which unfortunately were never committed to film [or in some instances videotape but never commercially released].

I can't imagine enjoying this soundtrack without actually watching the film.
Not sure why anyone would find this statement funny.
It was written with zero humor.
Maybe it was misunderstood?

Baggie, your statement is especially so for me as I was pulverized by my parents taking me to live concerts which always included songs from The Sound of Music over, and over, and over. Great music, but simply not the same without seeing Julie Andrews et al singing it on film...or in a good stage production.

So in the meantime:

Telly does, baby!!!

I'm not much of a movie watcher these days. But for this one I certainly for myself can't imagine the music without the film.
Don't judge us too harshly. Our brains are on music, some a little crispy, some a little fried. :)

Telly does, baby!!!

I loved listening to the early James Bond soundtracks as well as Pink Panther with out the film. And the Flim Flam man. Others. Not so much the Sound of Music, Grease, or LaLa Land. Hate mostly musical movies.

Umm what real movie musical I love listening to the soundtrack only? Across the Universe.

Attachments

• 1695947774966.png
    1695947774966.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In the early to mid 60s and later, some might find it hard to believe that Movie Soundtrack albums were in the Pop music Top Ten, many times slipping into the #1 slot. In fact, many kids who went on to be big time rock legends grew up with their families playing these albums over and over to the point that some of them would play or record these songs as they got older.

The '60s was truly a strange mix of music that people heard, as every type of tune was played on the 'pop/rock' stations, well past '69. If you look at the Hot 100 for any of those years, you'll see the rock staples we all know and search out mixed in with tunes by Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Louis Armstrong, Lorne Green, so many artists you would never expect to see in a Hot 100 chart. And Movie sountrack tunes were right in there with them. Heck, The Beatles had "'Till There was You'" on their first US LP, a song from "The Music Man"

In fact in 1965 the soundtrack for THE SOUND OF MUSIC spent 2 weeks as #1 on the POP Billboard Charts even beating out the Beatles '65 and remained on the charts for a two full years....culminating in 109 weeks in the TOP 10 on the Billboard charts which has exceeded ANY Original Soundtrack Recording since!

Yes, strange times, indeed Jon!

Last edited:
In the early to mid 60s and later, some might find it hard to believe that Movie Soundtrack albums were in the Pop music Top Ten, many times slipping into the #1 slot. In fact, many kids who went on to be big time rock legends grew up with their families playing these albums over and over to the point that some of them would play or record these songs as they got older.

The '60s was truly a strange mix of music that people heard, as every type of tune was played on the 'pop/rock' stations, well past '69. If you look at the Hot 100 for any of those years, you'll see the rock staples we all know and search out mixed in with tunes by Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Louis Armstrong, Lorne Green, so many artists you would never expect to see in a Hot 100 chart. And Movie sountrack tunes were right in there with them. Heck, The Beatles had "'Till There was You'" on their first US LP, a song from "The Music Man"
That was my experience and I am happy for it. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have the appreciation for many non-Rock/Soul artists and releases today. My Dad loved soundtracks and my earliest years were filled with "The Sound of Music", "Oklahoma", "The Music Man", "Exodus", "My Fair Lady" and many others. At the time I thought my Dad was square for liking this music. Now I own all those and more. Thanks, Dad.

That was my experience and I am happy for it. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have the appreciation for many non-Rock/Soul artists and releases today. My Dad loved soundtracks and my earliest years were filled with "The Sound of Music", "Oklahoma", "The Music Man", "Exodus", "My Fair Lady" and many others. At the time I thought my Dad was square for liking this music. Now I own all those and more. Thanks, Dad.

It's funny. My Mom used to watch every musical (film) that came on TV, and since we were a 1 TV house back in the early days, we kids would watch them too. I would always say "Mom, no one breaks out into a song when they're talking to others in real life" and she'd just basically tell me to 'sush'. Still, I watched those old movies, cropped and chopped up on the local TV station's movie nights. Some of the songs naturally stuck in my head and 30 years later I would search for the widescreen LD's of those movies with stereo soundtracks and found them enjoyable. I also had the pleasure of having her come over to watch them on my big screen in the proper fashion.

It's weird how our early years shape our future listening, even if we fight and resist what we're hearing, music always seems to find its way into our souls whether we like it or not

Back