Thin Lizzy, Vagabonds of the Western World (3CD + Atmos Blu-Ray Box Set Nov. 17, 2023)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in line for the new Dec 15th release of the box set. Looking forward to the Atmos mix.
I don't see a stand-a-lone for this in Amazon US, but I will be patient.

IMG_7051.jpeg

Why is nobody telling us what they think of the mix, pictures are fine but the mix is what matters 🙂
I've listened to the Atmos mix on Tidal, and if it's the same mix that's on disc, it's nothing to look forward to. I was thinking of buying the stand alone BD from JPC, but I'll skip that. It's basically a front heavy 5.1 mix, with a little output in the heights now and then.

Last edited:
I've listened to the Atmos mix on Tidal, and if it's the same mix that's on disc, it's nothing to look forward to. I was thinking of buying the stan alone BD from JPC, but I'll skip that. It's basically a front heavy 5.1 mix, with a little output in the heights now and then.
That’s what I was worried about, I had preordered the stand alone Blu-ray through Amazon but cancelled it to wait for reviews. Hopefully those that report on the disc might give different opinions but will wait and see!

I wasn’t aware this was available in a non-EverythingButTheKitchenSink configuration. So I just ordered the bluray.

In my case, the only studio album I own outside a best-of is Thunder and Lightning as I’m a John Sykes fan. So even if the Atmos is less than ideal, this is a nice way to add another studio album to my library.

Well it grows on you,it's not the most immersive mix but it is much better than the stereo mix
I much prefer the MCH mixes after listening to the stereo so that's a winner for me!
I need more time with it as it's not my favorite Lizzy album by a long shot but it's a miracle to even have this newly mixed for surround...what almost 50 years later?!?
Here's hoping this leads to a continuation of Lizzy recordings remixed in surround!

Well it grows on you,it's not the most immersive mix but it is much better than the stereo mix
I much prefer the MCH mixes after listening to the stereo so that's a winner for me!
I need more time with it as it's not my favorite Lizzy album by a long shot but it's a miracle to even have this newly mixed for surround...what almost 50 years later?!?
Here's hoping this leads to a continuation of Lizzy recordings remixed in surround!
Are you listening in 5.1 or Atmos?

Are you listening in 5.1 or Atmos?
Mea Culpa..I take back what I said about the mix.
I only did a cursory listening to the disc same day it came in the mail and wasn't too jazzed about it
Sat down today and realized my avr must have been in the wrong surround mode.

Because today after listening to a few tracks in Atmos and DTS HD 5.1, I gotta say it's a spectacular mix with plenty going on in the surrounds and heights.
Buy with confidence this is a great mix not front heavy at all.
Only nitpick i would have is that the original recording isn't the utmost in definition/clarity,it's got ta little of that early 70's mushiness to it but the new surround mix is phenomenal no bones about it.
I will also say that the DTS-HD 5.1mix is darker/more bassy sounding than the Atmos for whatever reason.

Oh and it's a bargain with the SEVEN extra MCH tracks it is pretty much TWO albums worth of material with only the Whisky In the Jar single culled from the Vagabonds sessions,the rest are B sides and singles that are great songs

Last edited:
Mea Culpa..I take back what I said about the mix.
I only did a cursory listening to the disc same day it came in the mail and wasn't too jazzed about it
Sat down today and realized my avr must have been in the wrong surround mode.

Because today after listening to a few tracks in Atmos and DTS HD 5.1, I gotta say it's a spectacular mix with plenty going on in the surrounds and heights.
Buy with confidence this is a great mix not front heavy at all.
Only nitpick i would have is that the original recording isn't the utmost in definition/clarity,it's got ta little of that early 70's mushiness to it but the new surround mix is phenomenal no bones about it.
I will also say that the DTS-HD 5.1mix is darker/more bassy sounding than the Atmos for whatever reason.

Oh and it's a bargain with the SEVEN extra MCH tracks it is pretty much TWO albums worth of material with only the Whisky In the Jar single culled from the Vagabonds sessions,the rest are B sides and singles that are great songs
Then the mix on the BD must be another mix than the Tidal mix, that one is as I described, front heavy and next to nothing in the heights. What I found out while listening though, was that I don't much like this early Thin Lizzy, so money saved. :) I'll wait for the twin guitars of Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson.;)

Tin Lizzy arrived today.
Stand alone Blu-ray.

Playing it now

Hummm
Needs more listening.
There is some subtle separation but my first impression is that the mix is slightly tame.

Nice to have Tin Lizzy in surround though.

Atmos mix by Richard Whittaker

Edit....now I'm further into this release, it's sounding Okay đź‘Ť

Last edited:
Tin Lizzy arrived today.
Stand alone Blu-ray.

Playing it now

Hummm
Needs more listening.
There is some subtle separation but my first impression is that the mix is slightly tame.

Nice to have Tin Lizzy in surround though.

Atmos mix by Richard Whittaker

Edit....now I'm further into this release, it's sounding Okay đź‘Ť
Well, as I stated in a earlier post, if it's a Okay mix on the BD, it must be a different mix on Tidal. ;)

Back