This guy thinks surround is dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soundbars are probably fine for apartments, people with unenthusiastic spouses (notice I did not say "wives" :) ), limited budgets, etc. You can't kill their existence as they do serve a purpose. However, to claim that their fast acceptance indicates a negative attitude toward surround sound is totally foolish. With that reasoning, headphones, ear buds, and stereo-only car audio systems would also indicate a negative attitude toward surround.

If the default stereo is the only choice, then it's NOT a choice.

speaking of cars, I see ads for a new BMW bragging about Harmon surround sound-I wonder.

I talk about my system everyday. How good music sounds, how good movies sound. How you get what you pay for, but at the very least get surround. Anyone and everyone who sees and hears my setup is in agreement, as well as envious. It is not about bragging or creating envy, it is about my passion for the best quality sound I can get on my budget in my environment. There is no longer a spouse factor for me, so easier in that aspect. Regardless, no way is surround dead. I have single handedly added at least a dozen people desiring more. That is the real world. I hope we as consumers, and on this site help influence the continued passion and new releases of surround music in the highest quality available. I am doing my part to support and spread the word. I am not the saviour, but definitely a disciple. I preach the gospel of high resolution surround music (and movies to a lesser extent) and get as many people as I can to drink my kool aid. My following continues to grow. With my upcoming move to a new house, I will have the opportunity to not only reinforce my preaching, but hopefuly spread it more to any new recruits that help me out.

A mate of mine, who lives in a small flat, went through most of the soundbars praised by What Hi-Fi. He hated all of them. Then he went through a range of headphones and didn't get on with those either after an hour or so. Now he's having ACS T1's made for his lugs. Who knows how he'll get on with those?! The thing is, he'd love a surround set-up but, in his current situation, it just isn't an option. He won't be unique either.
Soundbars are a stepping-stone. They're the sort of thing I might use with the TV in my kitchen, but they don't really compare to even a lower-end surround system. Good surround is involving and exciting; soundbars are not. They're most likely better than built-in TV speakers but that's about it.

speaking of cars, I see ads for a new BMW bragging about Harmon surround sound-I wonder.

Audi offered a B&O simulated surround sound option, why! If you're sending 'decoded' music to 4 separate amps why not do true surround? :howl I stuck with the standard stereo system, which will play bizarrely DVDs, and the CD multi-changer option.

Soundbars are a stepping-stone. They're the sort of thing I might use with the TV in my kitchen, but they don't really compare to even a lower-end surround system. Good surround is involving and exciting; soundbars are not. They're most likely better than built-in TV speakers but that's about it.

Stepping stone or a launch pad...Had a soundbar. Luckily, I hated it. Returned it. Stumbled into surround. Wallet be empty :yikes

Audi offered a B&O simulated surround sound option, why! If you're sending 'decoded' music to 4 separate amps why not do true surround? :howl I stuck with the standard stereo system, which will play bizarrely DVDs, and the CD multi-changer option.

turns out the BMW is nothing more than BS! Harmon Kardon stuff is pretty worthless. Too expensive-I liken it to bose

I talk about my system everyday. How good music sounds, how good movies sound. How you get what you pay for, but at the very least get surround. Anyone and everyone who sees and hears my setup is in agreement, as well as envious. It is not about bragging or creating envy, it is about my passion for the best quality sound I can get on my budget in my environment. There is no longer a spouse factor for me, so easier in that aspect. Regardless, no way is surround dead. I have single handedly added at least a dozen people desiring more. That is the real world. I hope we as consumers, and on this site help influence the continued passion and new releases of surround music in the highest quality available. I am doing my part to support and spread the word. I am not the saviour, but definitely a disciple. I preach the gospel of high resolution surround music (and movies to a lesser extent) and get as many people as I can to drink my kool aid. My following continues to grow. With my upcoming move to a new house, I will have the opportunity to not only reinforce my preaching, but hopefuly spread it more to any new recruits that help me out.

i need to say you are not a lone disciple...i am THANKFUL every single day that i was 'rescued' from making a dire mistake of almost buying into the soundbar gig. i shudder at that thought now...what a wonderful world i came soooo close to missing.... i am also doing my fair share of helping the multi channel music industry thrive! in 7 months time i've acquired somewhere around 75 discs...and have no intensions of slowing down..as long as they keep churning the stuff out!

i need to say you are not a lone disciple...i am THANKFUL every single day that i was 'rescued' from making a dire mistake of almost buying into the soundbar gig. i shudder at that thought now...what a wonderful world i came soooo close to missing.... i am also doing my fair share of helping the multi channel music industry thrive! in 7 months time i've acquired somewhere around 75 discs...and have no intensions of slowing down..as long as they keep churning the stuff out!

Sounds exactly like Snood :51banana:

I try to spread the surround word every chance I get. Today I was in the Magnolia section of Best Buy and a guy was looking for headphones; so I was giving him some advice and an employee stopped to listen. I eventually turned the conversation to music(easy transition from headphones)and I mentioned surround music and I went over to the music area and grabbed the Bob Marley disc and showed them the disc and explained several things to them. I also told them where to buy it online and save some money($31 at Best Buy). I try to do that all the time when I have a captive audience.

Join the club :yikes

MT Wallet.jpg

Snood now looking up the number for the CDC (Center for Disease Control) this sounds like a major virus!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Screw it!!!! Snood likey this Virus :51banana: It make Snood Dance

Hope everybody become converted to 5.1 hehehehehehe muhahahahahahaa :worthy

Snood now looking up the number for the CDC (Center for Disease Control) this sounds like a major virus!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Screw it!!!! Snood likey this Virus :51banana: It make Snood Dance

Hope everybody become converted to 5.1 hehehehehehe muhahahahahahaa :worthy

he said 'influence'...but me thinks he meant influenza!!

Towards the end of the article Guttenberg raises a query to readers:

If you can cite any noteworthy new, not remixed 5.1-channel rock, jazz, or world music titles, please share your thoughts in the comments.

What do fellow quad-surround listeners think of his challenge?

I wish there were more releases of current/new music in any surround format (bluray/sacd/dsd download). When none can be had ... For some of us, "up-mixes" are popular - eg. DKA's (https://www.facebook.com/DKASurround) rendition of Daft Punk's latest RAM album. For others, surround sound can be had when simulated and/or matrix'ed by hardware be it on the av-receivers or through dedicated converters such as "Surround Masters". However these are poor substitutes for music that has been properly recorded, processed, and mastered for multichannel formats. Is there are downtrend amongst labels and artists to make the effort for a surround mix. Take Beck for instance, his first foray into multichannel was the monumental Sea Change however his latest efforts do not include audiophile multichannel music.

On the hardware side - why are there so few multichannel options in the burgeoning field of up and coming DACs that can handle DSD? Currently, the three popular options are: exasound's e28, a cumbersome Mytek deck of three Mytek Stereo 192, and in a more limited form - the Oppo 105 player: see the excellent spreadsheed on DSD dacs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0). At any audio show I attend, I'm always overwhelmed by two-channel equipment and totally underwhelmed by the surround sound gear. When given the opportunity I always voice my preference.

If you can cite any noteworthy new, not remixed 5.1-channel rock, jazz, or world music titles, please share your thoughts in the comments.

I wish there were more releases of current/new music in any surround format (bluray/sacd/dsd download). When none can be had ... For some of us, "up-mixes" are popular - eg. DKA's (https://www.facebook.com/DKASurround) rendition of Daft Punk's latest RAM album. For others, surround sound can be had when simulated and/or matrix'ed by hardware be it on the av-receivers or through dedicated converters such as "Surround Masters". However these are poor substitutes for music that has been properly recorded, processed, and mastered for multichannel formats. Is there are downtrend amongst labels and artists to make the effort for a surround mix. Take Beck for instance, his first foray into multichannel was the monumental Sea Change however his latest efforts do not include audiophile multichannel music.

On the hardware side - why are there so few multichannel options in the burgeoning field of up and coming DACs that can handle DSD? Currently, the three popular options are: exasound's e28, a cumbersome Mytek deck of three Mytek Stereo 192, and in a more limited form - the Oppo 105 player: see the excellent spreadsheed on DSD dacs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgVhKcl_3lHfdFVyenBBNjNpQ2lieG81WGpqQTNfVUE#gid=0). At any audio show I attend, I'm always overwhelmed by two-channel equipment and totally underwhelmed by the surround sound gear. When given the opportunity I always voice my preference.

And no High res downloads in 5.1. Not many Bd coming out 5.1 either. With the BD there is NO excuse not to at least offer choice!! easy-peasy-lemon squeezy.

Although he pays compliments to Steve Wilson when he says:

'I know of only one man, Steven Wilson, who has consistently produced excellent work...'

He ignores a whole sector of the music industry important enough to be recognized by those who head the Grammies
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Best_Surround_Sound_Album).

Further I find his comments discussing stereo and multichannel to be puzzling if not downright bizarre!

I'm far from convinced the engineers could make recordings that would sound better than stereo.

Btw - there are a few download purveyors offering multichannel downloads, such as Native DSD, Channel Classics ... for a good picture of hifi downloads I've found the computeraudiophile forum - "http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/" to be helpful.

Great idea! (y) I've got a copy of the "Aelita" BD-A on the way so will update here as ever :)

I have high hopes for the Mando Diao surround mix..

"The Auro-3D® mix was created by Ronald Prent at Wisseloord studios in the Netherlands and the album is mastered by Darcy Proper, 9 times Grammy Award Nominated and 3 times Award winner as well."

The answer would be easy if he included classical music. So, how do you guys account for that? Surely, there are many more serious listeners outside of the classical genres.

Back