This guy thinks surround is dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's as simple as that guy hasn't heard the right Multichannel discs yet?!
Well on the one hand he acknowledges that Steven Wilson has "has consistently produced excellent work" and then in the very next paragraph he says "I'm far from convinced the engineers could make recordings that would sound better than stereo." The guy doesn't make sense.

Well on the one hand he acknowledges that Steven Wilson has "has consistently produced excellent work" and then in the very next paragraph he says "I'm far from convinced the engineers could make recordings that would sound better than stereo." The guy doesn't make sense.
I would guess that he is just stuck in a mode where he wants/expects everything he listens to to be as close to a "live" experience as possible. A lot of folks have that preference, and when they do, surround does not mean all that much. Surround can enhance that kind of experience, but it is an incremental improvement over stereo at most.

Those of us who appreciate that live sound is incredibly limiting and prefer the sonically richer and more immersive experience of a good studio release that you could NEVER get live, however...

I would guess that he is just stuck in a mode where he wants/expects everything he listens to to be as close to a "live" experience as possible. A lot of folks have that preference, and when they do, surround does not mean all that much. Surround can enhance that kind of experience, but it is an incremental improvement over stereo at most.

Those of us who appreciate that live sound is incredibly limiting and prefer the sonically richer and more immersive experience of a good studio release that you could NEVER get live, however...

I for one prefer the studio versions but for an exception, if I was at a live concert and they then released a live album. Like Frampton comes Alive was there Cobo Hall Detroit. I owned the studio version first don't like the live version for sound quality, I like it just because I was there.:smokin

Maybe it's as simple as that guy hasn't heard the right Multichannel discs yet?!

That is a great point! Lots of folks have opinions of stuff they have yet to learn about. With the 11.1 formats coming up and audio equipment makers doi9ng advanced equipment- I don't think much research went into his article. He failed to observe the AVS forum for one, and the folks that have magnificent home theaters and like thousands invested in audio equipment. Not to mention the movies that are all surround. Then there is us-the people who will embrace the format. And consider the folks who don't know of QQ or just linger at the pages. And Oppo Digital- it is to that company I owe a debt of gratitude for the balls to keep offering the fine equipment we need.

Not if she has anything to do with it: Screen shot 2015-06-12 at 6.21.26 PM.jpgLately she's been requesting this:Screen shot 2015-06-12 at 6.32.57 PM.jpgThough I do skip 20thCSM.

Back