Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying to play Tidal Atmos via a Fire TV 4K stick plugged into an Oppo 205. I've the latest Fire TV software, Tidal "Master" setting available in the Tidal Hifi subscription (30 day trial).
The stick works fine with Amazon Prime Video Atmos content, but somehow can't get Tidal to get out of Dolby Digital Plus, or PCM (on the MQA tracks).

What am I missing?

I'm trying to play Tidal Atmos via a Fire TV 4K stick plugged into an Oppo 205. I've the latest Fire TV software, Tidal "Master" setting available in the Tidal Hifi subscription (30 day trial).
The stick works fine with Amazon Prime Video Atmos content, but somehow can't get Tidal to get out of Dolby Digital Plus, or PCM (on the MQA tracks).

What am I missing?

No Atmos no dice. Stick needs the proper initial hdmi handshake.

What am I missing?

What @himey said. The stick needs to be plugged into an Atmos-capable AVR, not an optical disc player.

Thanks for responding
So why does Prime Video Atmos work this way?

I tried plugging the stick directly to NAD T777v3 that supports Atmos (and has been playing Atmos blu-ray fine). Same issue. It shows as Dolby Digital Plus.
i checked audio settings on Tidal app and it says “best available” (other options are stereo and always Dolby Digital)

Thanks for responding
So why does Prime Video Atmos work this way?

I tried plugging the stick directly to NAD T777v3 that supports Atmos (and has been playing Atmos blu-ray fine). Same issue. It shows as Dolby Digital Plus.
i checked audio settings on Tidal app and it says “best available” (other options are stereo and always Dolby Digital)
Maybe switch your Tidal account setting to "HiFi" not Master
Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 7.52.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Thanks Eric. I've tried changing it from Master to HiFi, and same thing. Receiver says "Dolby Digital +" and I'm getting stereo listening to Tidal tracks from Atmos playlist marked with Atmos logo. Any other suggestions?

Yes, I've tried adjusting the Fire Stick 4K settings. I have it set to "best available". Here's the screen

Attachments

• Fire TV audio settings.png
    Fire TV audio settings.png
    849.3 KB · Views: 143
Yes, stick firmware is Fire TV OS6.2.7 (or similar number string that says 'is most up to date') and NAD is also latest from a couple of weeks back.

I tried toggling between the different Fire TV app audio settings (best available > always dolby digital > always dolby digital plus > stereo)...still no dice. In fact, it has reverted to PCM Stereo.
Also tried going back forth between Fire TV stick in Oppo vs. NAD receiver.

Yes, I installed Tidal app from Fire app store a few days ago. Also tried uninstalling and re-installing.
I powered down and unplugged. Same situation.
I double-checked the receiver setting and its just HDMI audio and video (currently Fire stick is plugged directly into receiver)

Yes, I installed Tidal app from Fire app store a few days ago. Also tried uninstalling and re-installing.
I powered down and unplugged. Same situation.
I double-checked the receiver setting and its just HDMI audio and video (currently Fire stick is plugged directly into receiver)
Hmmmmmm and still no Atmos?

Back