Toshiba turns up heat in DVD war with big price cut

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THERE YOU GO! That's kicking the format war in the yarbles! :banana:

Laserdisc? I still have over a THOUSAND of the buggers!! (Not sure what to do with them, I suppose I could take them to the dump, but I have some great music titles that have not seen the light of day on DVD, let alone Blu-Ray.)

Jon:

I never got into LD. What's involved in converting LD to DVD? Is this doable?

Justin

I am sorry, this format war is a joke. According to NPD, Blu-ray had 92.5% of the standalone player market the week ended January 12th and if you include the PS3, it would be about 99% of the most recent week's hardware market. Of course Toshiba lowered player prices, what else could be done? The facts are simple, neither product sells much, but how in the world can that ever change if HD DVD hangs around to confuse the market? I am afraid the $150 HD DVD player with 9 free movies will cause a few uninformed consumers to buy the player and HD DVD might just maintain enough of a presence to continue this, but I am sure puzzled as to why anybody would want this. Toshiba has about 10% of the market in their own home country, Japan. The format has been uniformly rejected in every market everywhere in the world it has attempted to compete.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

CH-DVD? What the heck is that? Yet another HD format?

CH DVD is a Chinese only format based on HD DVD and I hope it never sees the light of day in China. Players won't be able to play HD DVD discs from the rest of the world and the CH DVD discs won't play in players in the rest of the world. It is a dumb idea and the intended benefit was to avoid all of the licensing fees associated with HD DVD, such as DTS, Dolby, Microsoft, etc., etc. China has already had two aborted HD disc formats, HVD and EVD and a third makes about as much sense as Ford reintroducing the Edsel. What I want is for China to get Blu-ray disc manufacturing facilities, take over the majority of the Blu-ray hardware manufacturing and join in with the rest of the world and make Blu-ray the standard HD disc format in China as well. Now, that would help things some. Let high end Blu-ray players be manufactured in Japan or the US or other countries, but let the factories that are making the majority of the world's DVD players do the same for Blu-ray. Hopefully we will soon see the Funai manufactured Blu-ray players come from China and be great values and help start things rolling. Wal-Mart is a gigantic Funai customer with store brands and budget brand electronics products.

Chris

I thought the article was somewhat interesting for the “inside baseball” thinking of Universal now. But I can see the February HDTV switchover to “over the air” HDTV broadcasting as an excuse for all the studio’s to line up for one format. Or we could still have a muddied picture if HD-DVD still sells players / discs and Blu-ray players with all the proper features / specs are not there with a sub $200 price. Especially with a messed up economy. HD anything in any format (including TVs) is the last thing the average Joe is thinking about with high gas prices and when the rent is due. I do hope one format makes it, or that the many formats and options for HD viewing with Hi-Rez music can live together peacefully. And that we can get new titles of old and new material. That seems to be lacking now in both HD formats. The “John Ford” box set with 24 films of one of the most important American directors released last month was not available in either HD format. All we can do is guess what will happen with HD. If it does take off with millions of buyers it’ll be more of a format of the next decade at this point with all the standard DVD’s people still buy.

After long discussions with Crutchfield & Meyer Emco re the existing players; it is obvious that to enjoy either the full video or audio potential of them you have to have new receivers; new players; and new video monitors - as the requirement for HDMI connections is absolutely required. That's much bigger bucks than just a player. I suspect most consumer's don't expect that - anymore than I did. Unless they can make the benefits available using other than the HDMI connection, I don't see either format being especially successful.

This evolution has already begun; every new Denon receiver switches HDMI video, even the $300 model. Even some Home-Theatre-In-A Box systems have HDMI. My Blu Ray player was $279 and that will certainly go even lower.

Consumers don't know much of anything without education. Ten years ago they couldn't understand why the DVD player wouldn't show up on CH 3/4; Radio Shack sold a ton of RF modulators because of this.

Admittedly, the specs are moving faster these days but this is just more of the same.

You can't take anything that The Digital Bits says about Blu-Ray/HD-DVD seriously. They are WAY one sided.

Anything you read on the internet about this is crap. The only thing that will show the "war that nobody cares about" is over is when every studio is selling their films on Blu-Ray, and there are no HD-DVD only titles.

Until that day, it's all "Spy vs Spy" crap.

Jon:

I never got into LD. What's involved in converting LD to DVD? Is this doable?

Justin

Laserdiscs can be copied very easily using a DVD recorder, the stand alone kind that all of a sudden seem awfully hard to find. Of course, you can't copy the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks, you just get the stereo soundtrack. However, it's a great way to get a stereo copy of rare films, like "Let it Be". :D

Laserdiscs can be copied very easily using a DVD recorder, the stand alone kind that all of a sudden seem awfully hard to find. Of course, you can't copy the Dolby Digital or DTS tracks, you just get the stereo soundtrack. However, it's a great way to get a stereo copy of rare films, like "Let it Be". :D

There ya go amigo! Another suggestion for the eBay douchebags! ;)

For those who followed the DVD-Audio / SACD "war," how does the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD fight compare if at all? What year did DVD-A / SACD turn into a stalemate where nobody won? There seems to be more awareness with ads on TV and in store display's for both Blu-Ray / HD-DVD.

Also, I have not seen much if any changes in stores regarding how they sell both HD formats. What has anyone else seen out there? Anything? Or a big yawn by the public so far…

After long discussions with Crutchfield & Meyer Emco re the existing players; it is obvious that to enjoy either the full video or audio potential of them you have to have new receivers; new players; and new video monitors - as the requirement for HDMI connections is absolutely required.

If you have an older HD monitor with 720p or 1080i, you can still take advantage of the better picture via component cables. It's true that you can't do 1080p and that it's an analog connection, but you still gain.

Also, many players decode the fancy new sound formats internally, so you can just hook them up to any receiver with dedicated 5.1 analog inputs.

HDMI certainly makes things simpler and is the only way to get 1080p, but you can still enjoy the new stuff without it.

For those who followed the DVD-Audio / SACD "war," how does the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD fight compare if at all? What year did DVD-A / SACD turn into a stalemate where nobody won? There seems to be more awareness with ads on TV and in store display's for both Blu-Ray / HD-DVD.

Also, I have not seen much if any changes in stores regarding how they sell both HD formats. What has anyone else seen out there? Anything? Or a big yawn by the public so far…

I can't see the DVD-A/SACD war being any more bitter than the HD war. It's kind of funny actually. Now that Toshiba has put out a 1080p player, there's not much difference between the two. I don't get into all the region coding and copyright protection stuff. All I want are movies in HD.

The similiarities in the two wars are two competing formats each requiring a separate new machine, two major companies trying to profit, and the consumer getting screwed. So far it looks as if the results will be different. Blu-Ray has practically eliminated HD-DVD so they can move forward and try to replace standard DVD (probably will never happen completely). Whereas, in the audio war, it looks like everybody lost - the formats, the companies, and the consumers.

I have both HD formats and can play both audio formats. All I know is that I can get both better music and better movies regardless of the format. I WIN!!! :spot

For all that people have talked about Target and/or Wal-Mart choosing one format or the other, the fact is that neither seems especially interested in either format. Target does have a somewhat prominent Blu-ray display now, but they stock very, very few titles and often have empty racks where those titles should be. Wal-Mart has a single "HD Video" rack that has a few HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles, but again, nothing to get excited about.

Best Buy and Fry's both do a much better job, but I know there are a lot of titles in both formats that never wind up on their shelves. Of course, that's true of all formats...to a great extent, it's become an online world, regardless of what movie or album you're trying to find. If it's not mainstream, you need to get on the internet and have it shipped to you.

The only DVD-A or SACD titles I ever saw in mainstream general interest stores were either hybrids or DualDiscs or some other packaging that gave purchasers a standard CD. I did see hi-rez audio formats given dedicated space in record stores and electronics stores, but never anywhere else. So I guess by that standard, HD-DVD and Blu-ray have been given a bigger chance than either DVD-A or SACD ever were.

Target isn't much in store but their on line selection AND pricing is much better. Have placed a couple orders.

If you never checked on-line and saw only a few titles in the rack and $29.95 tags, the average consumer would keep walking unless they were savvy and keen to have it.

There ya go amigo! Another suggestion for the eBay douchebags! ;)

If you look on eBay, all of the "Let it Be" DVDs are just LaserDisc rips. There are a ton of them out there. Same with anything else that's not available on DVD that was on LD, there on eBay! Funny how that works! :mad:@:

I was just at the local Sams. They had a stack of new Toshiba players for $128 with "300" and "Bourne Supremacy" in the box, plus the mail away for 5 free HD-DVDs. Like I said, free player. You can't lose.

Re the SACD-DVD-A "war". I was in it from the beginning - remember Harancourt's Strauss Waltz's? Anyway, Tower Records always had a decent selection, when they were in business. And Best Buy carried both format's for many years. Now, of course, I buy everything pretty much through SA-CD.net; and I have to say it's easier than going to a brick and mortar store - and where I live now, much easier. And, in spite of naysayers, a lot of new releases albeit mostly classical. It ain't dead.

Re the HD "war". Visited the Wal Mart in Tappahannock, Virginia today. They had several stacks of Toshiba HD-DVD players on sale for $148. No HD discs, or blue ray players.

If course, I don't think Wal Mart ever carried any DVD-Audio or SACD products.

Back