Triumph "Greatest Hits: Remixed", with 5.1 DVD, mixed by Richard Chycki

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepare to be disappointed. Mine arrived today.

1 - It's mastered way too loudly. Turn your system down before you pop it in. There is a lot of thunder and lightning to emphasize the surround experience, which made me laugh. Very cheezy and 80s. That was maybe the highlight of the listening experience.
2 - Most of their videos are-- and some of this could've been known with some YT viewing-- faux live or live videos, meaning crowd noise is much of your surround experience, often times at the expense of the original track
3 - Follow Your Heart, Lay It On The Line, Magic Power (completely live version), When The Lights Go Down, Hold On, Allied Forces (completely live version), and Never Surrender all have crowd noise at some point.
4 - Hold On doesn't even start until after the intro. I thought it was a mistake and rewound, letting When The Lights Go Down play into it. Nope. It's just not there.
5 - Somebody's Out There is the only thing approaching a conventional surround track, with the keys behind me. Never Surrender also has the rhythm guitar behind me and to the left...and nothing to balance it out on the right. Weird.
6 - There is a lot of faux surround here. For example, When The Lights Go Down has that beginning blues part in all speakers.
7 - Can we at least have the courtesy of syncing the audio and video?

In fairness, he may have been limited by the source tracks and what he had available. IMHO, this is not worth creating a poll for. It just really isn't a conventional surround sound mix, as he is working with videos and whatever audio that entails. I was hoping that since he remixed the tracks in stereo that the source stems would be used on the videos, at least where they could be. That does not appear to be the case.

I don't plan on being disappointed.....cause I'm going to send mine back without opening it.

Prepare to be disappointed. Mine arrived today.

1 - It's mastered way too loudly. Turn your system down before you pop it in. There is a lot of thunder and lightning to emphasize the surround experience, which made me laugh. Very cheezy and 80s. That was maybe the highlight of the listening experience.
2 - Most of their videos are-- and some of this could've been known with some YT viewing-- faux live or live videos, meaning crowd noise is much of your surround experience, often times at the expense of the original track
3 - Follow Your Heart, Lay It On The Line, Magic Power (completely live version), When The Lights Go Down, Hold On, Allied Forces (completely live version), and Never Surrender all have crowd noise at some point.
4 - Hold On doesn't even start until after the intro. I thought it was a mistake and rewound, letting When The Lights Go Down play into it. Nope. It's just not there.
5 - Somebody's Out There is the only thing approaching a conventional surround track, with the keys behind me. Never Surrender also has the rhythm guitar behind me and to the left...and nothing to balance it out on the right. Weird.
6 - There is a lot of faux surround here. For example, When The Lights Go Down has that beginning blues part in all speakers.
7 - Can we at least have the courtesy of syncing the audio and video?

In fairness, he may have been limited by the source tracks and what he had available. IMHO, this is not worth creating a poll for. It just really isn't a conventional surround sound mix, as he is working with videos and whatever audio that entails. I was hoping that since he remixed the tracks in stereo that the source stems would be used on the videos, at least where they could be. That does not appear to be the case.
This post literally came in 9 minutes before I might have bought it. Thanks for the feedback and saving me $13+tax.

Am half through through the 19 video selections and through my Oppo 205 directly into my LG OLED TV ..... I am NOT at all disappointed. I think Richard C did an admirable job and to my ears NOT A BIT COMPRESSED!

Of course the 480i 16x9 widescreen image, as expected is soft...even upscaled by the OPPO but that's to be expected since the videos come from different sources.

Is it worth $12.85? YES ..... if you're a fan or even new to TRIUMP .....while it isn't exactly a TRIUMPH, Richard C's 5.1 DD remix is admirable and if you listen carefully discrete. And nice use of the LFE channel as well!

NOT sorry I bought it. Can even be enjoyed with the video OFF!

BTW, it was played at FLAT response ....absolutely no EQ applied!

Last edited:
Am half through through the 19 video selections and through my Oppo 205 directly into my LG OLED TV ..... I am NOT at all disappointed. I think Richard C did an admirable job and to my ears NOT A BIT COMPRESSED!

Of course the 480i 16x9 widescreen image, as expected is soft...even upscaled by the OPPO but that's to be expected since the videos come from different sources.

Is it worth $12.85? YES ..... if you're a fan or even new to TRIUMP .....while it isn't exactly a TRIUMPH, Richard C's 5.1 DD remix is admirable and if you listen carefully discrete. And nice use of the LFE channel as well!

NOT sorry I bought it.
I'm not sorry I bought it because I love Triumph and I think the stereo remixes are pretty good. A bit overly compressed in the drums, which I don't mind except when the cymbals crash and the harshness of it comes through. Perhaps that's the original recording, though. In a song like Never Surrender, it's really noticeable, but that song always had pounding drums. It has been a while since I've listened to my Triumph vinyl.

And again, these are source videos with the audio that he is working with. He is hamstrung by that from the outset. If he still has the tracks he worked with on the remix and did a standalone 5.1 mix with what are now several more years under his belt, I'd be all over that.

I’m confused - I thought this was a 5.1 mix of their STUDIO tracks - is that wrong?
Maybe I jumped too soon?!😱
Nay! The CD contains 14 studio tracks in their entirety whereas the DVD DD 5.1 contains in some instances abridged LIVE performance tracks and music videos.

BTW, the RBCD sounds GREAT as wel!

OK, here are my two bits. Generally, I agree with 4-earredeonder. I’m not disappointed and I’ve heard a lot worse. The 5.1 is synced to live concert videos and/or produced videos, depending on the song. In some cases, audience noise is brought up to make it seem like it’s live. I would imagine there weren’t a lot of choices with the truly live stuff, as a couple of the tracks are pretty standard. The quality really varies from song to song. In some cases, there is some decent separation of guitars between front and rears, with the lead in the front and rhythm in the rears. Sometimes the background vocals and keys show up in the rears. It can be a bit of a conservative mix at times, but at other time is fairly immersive. I know that sounds a bit wishy washy, but some tracks are simply better than others. I agree that it seems he may have only had so much to work with on some of the tracks. That would explain it. One minor beef is that the transition from song to song is very clunky at times. In the end, I didn’t pay an arm and a leg for it, and got some decent Triumph in surround.

Triumph's first three albums hold a special place in my musical heart, but I view their later material much like I view REO Speedwagon's later material: decent, but not worth buying or listening to a whole album. Even knowing that, I got excited about this thread, but ultimately, I'm glad I passed.

Scroll down the page and read the product description directly under Editorial Reviews
Aha! This clears it up 😜

Product Description​

Roxy is a brand of Quiksilver, Inc., the world's leading outdoor sports lifestyle company, which designs, produces and distributes a diversified mix of branded apparel, footwear, accessories and related products. Quiksivler's apparel and footwear brands represent a casual lifestyle for young-minded people that connect with its boardriding culture and heritage, while outdoor sports symbolize a long standing commitment to technical expertise and competitive success. The company's products are sold in more than 90 countries.

I haven't had a chance to listen yet (traveling) but when I ripped the 5.1 tracks and noticed that 1/2 are mastered at different levels than the others. Some are louder and max out at -0db the others have a little headroom. I didn't realize they were all actually "videos" so I'll have to go back and redo things.

Listening/watching now, pretty dang good, I guess it depends on a persons rig.
The opening with lightning strike, wow, very good.
Definitely a powerhouse, big sound bouncing back and forth from rears to fronts.
But then, some songs even tough completely surround, go to a muted type feel.
It almost seems every other song is real good, then not so good, do you think that?
I think the mixer did a real good job on the actual mix of the 5.1 but the sonics are hurting here and there.
Thank you @dr. simple great find for the surround enthusiast, and the price my dickens, how can you beat it.
I always thought the coolest names for a band, if I was gonna have a band are Journey and Triumph.
The audience is so cool, that's me, that's how it used to be, loud, in your face, girls and guys.

Can't understand why bands such as this that had tremendous success at some point don't have a studio 5.1 mix at minimum.
I have some number (a lot) of live performances in surround but many/most don't have that great of sound, or mostly fronts with more rear ambience.
That is exactly why I never get excited about live recordings in surround. Once in a while there are exceptions but, for the most part, you nailed it.

Back