Unreleased Fleetwood Mac 5.1 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn it... I'm watching the series now...I remember it playing, when I watched it, but didn't have 5.1 hooked up (I usually don't bother for TV) I've now deleted it from my recorder :(

Great series...

Hook the 5.1 up...it was one of those songs that has a long intro...I kept thinking boy this sounds like a version of Tusk I've never heard...then sure enough...when I rewatch a scene 10 times just to hear a song it's good. I might even settle for a darn 2 channel version. Where is this one hiding?

Being a fan of the show since the pilot, I've to confess I've had missed Tusk completely, so thanks for the heads-up! But - did you notice that there's also another great 5.1 mix present, this time of Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight (off Face Value)? Just check 50:00 - 53:42...

Watched on Saturday morning for the music and ended up watching the first 4 episodes. Thank you for getting me hooked on another show. Scott

Someone should find out who the music supervisor is on the show and invite him here - he (or she) is obviously a fan of surround sound.

Someone should find out who the music supervisor is on the show and invite him here

Great idea!

I've already googled up that the music editor for the pilot solely was Lisa Arpino, who's been behind many TV series (see her profile on IMDb). She's got a FB profile, too.

However, I don't think it's up to me to ask her anything;)

I have two multiple bay USB 2.0 enclosures attached, with six drives of varying size. My total formatted storage space is about six Terabytes. And I am running out of space.

I have about 1.2 Terabyte filled with DVD-Audio titles. Some of these titles are as small as 1.5 Gigabytes. Some are as big as 8 Gigabytes. Overall I have a little over 200 of these titles.

I have another 150 titles converted from quad reels, CD4's, Q8's, SQ and QS LP's to DVD-Audio iso files. This takes another 800 GB of space. I still have at least another 200 titles to convert.

I have about 2 TB of Blu Ray concerts and movies. A typical Blu Ray takes between 20 and 40 GB of space. I have another 40 titles waiting for conversion.

I have no standard definition DVDs converted yet. I do have about 100 concert DVDs I will convert when I get the time.

I have about 800 GB of FLAC , WAV and Apple Lossless files. Space requirements for each title depends on bit depth and sample rate. I have over 600 Cd's and about 800 LP's to convert.

I also have over 130 SACDs that I will convert to DVD-Audio iso files. I expect these titles to take another Terabyte at least. I've only done one test conversion so far, but the results were excellent.

No, I cannot rip a digital copy of a multichannel SACD. (I think this is being claimed as possible now, however, using software). I do know that there is a method to digitally rip stereo SACD that is widely published on the net. This involves using an HDMI to SPDIF converter.

OPPO says they will not likely offer SACD iso file support. In the past they said they would never add iso support for DVD-Audio, DVD or Blu Ray. They offer it now.

At this point, I use the analog outputs on my OPPO as a source, convert to digital 24/96 PCM using my MOTU Traveler audio interface and record as WAV files. After creating a DVD-Audio iso file from the WAV files, I can hear only a very slight difference that I am willing to live with for most listening. Considering the convenience and the really tiny sound quality difference, I'm willing to accept this tradeoff. When I want the best possible playback, I grab the original SACD and pop it into the player.

In the long run, I expect that the package that encloses media will disappear. As that starts to come to pass, I'll sell my SACDs and buy the multichannel files.

Brian Moura asked:

As far as I know at this point, the only .iso support is through directly attached storage via USB or eSATA. Music file formats such as FLAC, WAV, etc., can be streamed from a NAS, though I've had no reason to try it. Those on the OPPO AVS forums report no issues with this other than the usual networking hassles.

kvsawilson said:

That just about sums it up.

Steven

With apologies for the selective quotes.
At thwe insistence of maily Hollywood & the big media outlets, ISO support on Oppo players is now dropped, and was removed with the later firmware updates on the BDP-93 & BDP-95 players (both no longer available) and is gone completely on the new BDP-103/105 machines. BD Folder support & DVD-V folder support (extract the ISOs to get these) is supported but no idea yet if this works on DVDA and am awaiting a reply from Oppo support on this matter.

Storage of all these digital releases is going to become a huge problem. Already FireWire is vanishing, USB is still marching on & now we have Thunderbolt - I wager in 10 years time none of our current external backup devices will be accessible on players - if you can spin them up, that is. Replicated media is timeless, and I simply do not see it going away as you get a sense of ownership that is simply not there with downloaded file sets. All it takes is one disaster and everything is lost and I know people this has happened to.

SACD against 24/96 trackings? Is the DSD playback set to the 50KHz or the 100KHz filter? If the 100KHz you will be recording in all the ultrasonic crap that exists on every SACD ever pressed at 23KHz and upwards - noise is all that is present there, and rather a lot of it too. I'd advise trying to filter this out for archival reasons but you will never get rid of the underlying problem with the noise floor of SACD at -60dB against -100 and better for lossless PCM (before it was encoded to DSDIFF for SACD, that is) and even for transcribed DTS 9624 streams too - I have plots & graphs that prove all this beyond any doubt at all - this is most likely why you can hear a difference in sound quality.

With apologies for the selective quotes.
At thwe insistence of maily Hollywood & the big media outlets, ISO support on Oppo players is now dropped, and was removed with the later firmware updates on the BDP-93 & BDP-95 players (both no longer available) and is gone completely on the new BDP-103/105 machines. BD Folder support & DVD-V folder support (extract the ISOs to get these) is supported but no idea yet if this works on DVDA and am awaiting a reply from Oppo support on this matter.

Storage of all these digital releases is going to become a huge problem. Already FireWire is vanishing, USB is still marching on & now we have Thunderbolt - I wager in 10 years time none of our current external backup devices will be accessible on players - if you can spin them up, that is. Replicated media is timeless, and I simply do not see it going away as you get a sense of ownership that is simply not there with downloaded file sets. All it takes is one disaster and everything is lost and I know people this has happened to.

SACD against 24/96 trackings? Is the DSD playback set to the 50KHz or the 100KHz filter? If the 100KHz you will be recording in all the ultrasonic crap that exists on every SACD ever pressed at 23KHz and upwards - noise is all that is present there, and rather a lot of it too. I'd advise trying to filter this out for archival reasons but you will never get rid of the underlying problem with the noise floor of SACD at -60dB against -100 and better for lossless PCM (before it was encoded to DSDIFF for SACD, that is) and even for transcribed DTS 9624 streams too - I have plots & graphs that prove all this beyond any doubt at all - this is most likely why you can hear a difference in sound quality.

any interest in you and SW doing Fleetwood Mac surround remixes Neil?

I'd buy the lot (as I do with all your stuff!) :D

I absolutely agree with you on that. I want the hard copy. However, if you have mass storage in a raid system, and a drive fails, you just stick in a new drive and the system rebuilds the data using redundant data on the other drives. However, I still prefer the hard copy. Burned DVDs and CDs don't last either. I have what was an outstanding copy of Machine Head which was taken from reel to reel, and it is ruined by data errors. Fortunately I have the quadradisc.

Just had the chance to listen to the 5.1 mix of "Monday Morning" on the Acura ELS demo DVD-A, and all I can say is "WOW!"

This year is the 40th anniversary of the FM White Album, so Warners, how about a deluxe set with Blu-Ray, just like the "Moondance" set? I would gladly pay up for that! :)

Just had the chance to listen to the 5.1 mix of "Monday Morning" on the Acura ELS demo DVD-A, and all I can say is "WOW!"

This year is the 40th anniversary of the FM White Album, so Warners, how about a deluxe set with Blu-Ray, just like the "Moondance" set? I would gladly pay up for that! :)

I never felt comfortable calling it the "White Album"...in my mind only one album deserves that name... and the Beatles own that one....but that FM album is an excellent one..I'd be happy with a single blu ray audio disc...surround of course...when that album came out I was a little sad over the departure of Bob Welch from the band...but hearing Stevie and Lindsey made that sadness go away...of course my favorite Mac vocalist(Christine McVie) had a dynamite song on that album "over my head" which was the Mac's first hit and propelled that album up the charts..

I'd take ANYTHING by the Mac in hi rez...Tusk...Mystery to Me..Tango In The Night..Then Play On(the last with Peter Green)..Bare Trees(the last with Danny Kirwan)..and if you are going to talk about FM..why not French Kiss by former FM member Bob Welch...an awesome album.. I have the hi rez version of Rumours and Say You Will(which was the first album since Future Games in 1971 that did not have tracks written by Christine McVie)

I bought that demo off Ebay specifically for Monday Morning. My hope is AF can get the rights to these mixes. You'd think with Christie McVie being back with the band and a big tour ongoing that they'd want to further monetize their catalog.

I bought that demo off Ebay specifically for Monday Morning. My hope is AF can get the rights to these mixes. You'd think with Christie McVie being back with the band and a big tour ongoing that they'd want to further monetize their catalog.

Could happen. Unless Warner Music wants to follow the example Universal set with the Rick Wakeman Anniversary albums by releasing them on Warner and remixing the Multichannel. We will see.
I'd endorse your hope for an AF Multichannel SACD release!

Blu-Ray and DVD-A are always my top choices for release formats, followed by SACD, but if it's a great mix (and affordable), I'll take it on ANY of those formats, as long as it actually makes it out there! :)

Back