USB to coax to Sherwood XDTS-80 : no way?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I'm trying to set up a simple dts-cd-on-file playback system,
- foobar2000, no dsp involved.
- netbook with xp sp3
- usb 2 coax converter (burr-brown pcm 2906)
- sherwood x-dts 80 decoder.

so far i have tried asio4all, usb-audio.de asio driver, asio2ks and i always get only white noise on dts file playback. Of course ripped stereo cd plays fine. The 2906 alone relies on the standard usb drivers, so no way to force 44100 16 bit 2 channel (unless there's a specific driver that so far i haven't found).

Any suggestion on how to make it work such a system? Just can't understand what's going wrong.

Of course, if i connect a standalone cd player to the sherwood it does plays the dts disc fine - so the decoder isn't the one to blame.

Possible alternative will be to use a different usb2coax, based on the c-media 108, that allows for forcing the spdif out to a specific parameter. Anyone using such a thing?

Foobar isn't supposed to do the decoding of the dts stream, the Sherwood will do it. What the Sherwwod needs is a bitperfect stream 44100/16/2, and it's not going out.

Doesn't work... need to try a different dac.

foobar to spdif can work, I've done it before, but you need bit perfect playback, ie, an ASIO driver for your SPDIF device. You'll also need the volume in foobar turned all the way up.

Tried three asio drivers (see first post) without success. Quite puzzling.

Back